ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why no 5, 6 aux returns?  (Read 5389 times)

Mark Monson

Why no 5, 6 aux returns?
« on: October 28, 2017, 06:13:38 PM »

I know this is a basic question, so I appreciate in advance any help the experienced users of this site can give me.  I just got a Mackie sr32-4 vlz pro mixer (bought it for $100 as it was being replaced by an x32).  I want to use aux 1-4 for stage monitors and aux 5, 6 for effects.  On my other board I have connected the output of the effects to the corresponding aux return.  I have connected the aux 5, 6 send to the inputs of the effects, but there is no aux 5, 6 return.  As aux 5, 6 on the Mackie were designed for parallel effects, how do I hook up the effects output?

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/1642-SRVLZProOwnersManual.pdf

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Why no 5, 6 aux returns?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:24:37 PM »

I know this is a basic question, so I appreciate in advance any help the experienced users of this site can give me.  I just got a Mackie sr32-4 vlz pro mixer (bought it for $100 as it was being replaced by an x32).  I want to use aux 1-4 for stage monitors and aux 5, 6 for effects.  On my other board I have connected the output of the effects to the corresponding aux return.  I have connected the aux 5, 6 send to the inputs of the effects, but there is no aux 5, 6 return.  As aux 5, 6 on the Mackie were designed for parallel effects, how do I hook up the effects output?

If I am understanding you correctly.... I believe you can return through any of the 4 returns provided regardless of the send used to the FX unit.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 06:31:17 PM »

Uh... because Mackie thought we were smart enough to plug into the returns, regardless of the number.

Look at the way the aux mixes are fed:  1-2 are "pre-EQ, pre-fader", 3-4 are switchable pre/post, and 5-6 are post-EQ, post-fader.  Think about that for a minute and it means that 1-2 will be used for stage monitors, 3-4 could be, too, and 5-6 are used for FX sends.  Any aux send used for stage monitors DOESN'T NEED A RETURN.  Just because it has a number doesn't mean it's linked in any way to a send with the same number...

Plug your effects outputs in to the Aux Returns of your choice - it doesn't matter.  Personally I like to have input channel strip EQ for my effects returns so (in analog world) I'll bring them back on unused channel inputs... full EQ, full panning and routing (incl the ability to route the output of an effect to the input of another), VCA control if the mixer is so equipped, etc.

You're over thinking this.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 06:51:27 PM »

Personally I like to have input channel strip EQ for my effects returns so (in analog world) I'll bring them back on unused channel inputs... full EQ, full panning and routing (incl the ability to route the output of an effect to the input of another), VCA control if the mixer is so equipped, etc.

You're over thinking this.
That is the way it has always been done.  MUCH more flexibility, control etc.

Just BE SURE DO NOT turn up the effects send for a particular effect that is being returned on that channel.  That is a good way to tear up loudspeakers.  Sometimes you don't even realize you are pushing them to extreme limits.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 05:04:50 PM »

+1 for Tim and Ivan.  If you have empty input channels they are much better for effects returns.  They will also give you the ability to return effects to the monitors and not just the main outputs.  This doesn't mean you HAVE to do that, but some vocalist (especially with in-ear monitors) "need" a little reverb in their mix.  It is also a good way to screw up a musicians timing by sending a delayed monitor signal to them, so unless your are trying to mess up their timing, don't do it!

Mark Monson

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 08:44:33 PM »

[ If you have empty input channels they are much better for effects returns.  They will also give you the ability to return effects to the monitors and not just the main outputs. 

I have heard that if you do this then all channels will have the same amount of effects.  You can't have one vocalist have more reverb than another.  Is this true?

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 08:48:19 PM »

[ If you have empty input channels they are much better for effects returns.  They will also give you the ability to return effects to the monitors and not just the main outputs. 

I have heard that if you do this then all channels will have the same amount of effects.  You can't have one vocalist have more reverb than another.  Is this true?

No. How much verb you give is determined by how high the send is on that particular channel. Need more reverb, turn that aux send up. Need less, turn it down

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 01:08:41 AM »

Not so fast Kemper. He is correct, but it depends on what he means by the question. If the sends are post fader, the one with the highest fader and FX send level will be the highest one. I.E. backup singers are usually lower in the mix, so if they have the same send level ( on the FX send knob ) to the FX, they will be lower, but if you bring a backup singer up above the level of the lead singer, their FX send will also be louder by X amount.

The send level for FX is relative to the fader position if using post fader sends ( which you want to for FX ). The issue is when you have the same gain potential between all singers or instruments in the FX send buss. As you bring the fader up, the send also comes up with it. If you have too high of an FX send you can really end up with ONE thing that is really IN THERE. In general the FX send should mirror the actual L/R main mix so long as all the channels have the same FX send level. The loudest one will win, but if you bring another channel up, they will also get louder. Fine for the purpose of FX.

Where the issue comes in is if you send FX to monitors. The returns of the FX are a mix of everything. So if you send it to a monitor it will match what you send to that FX. This means that monitor mix 1 and monitor mix 3 cannot have different FX mixes, only different relative levels of that FX mix in that monitor. If The guy standing over monitor 3 wants less lead vox reverb in his mix, you cannot do that without effecting the FOH and monitor mixes. The other way around is where a singer wants more reverb of themselves in a particular mix. It cannot be done without effecting all the mixes. This is why FX in monitors is a HUGE NO......... It is a tail chasing game. It is especially bad with delayed based FX.

The easiest thing to do is experiemnt and see. You can do this with headphones. You will find real quick that FX in monitors is a no no. You will also find that you need to keep an eye on teh FX return more than you think.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 03:57:38 AM »

You will find real quick that FX in monitors is a no no.

I will put reverb into monitors but have stopped putting delay in as a couple of singers have said that it puts them off.

Steve.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 10:43:26 AM »

I will put reverb into monitors but have stopped putting delay in as a couple of singers have said that it puts them off.

Adding delay to the drum monitors can be entertaining to watch.  :)
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 11:14:38 AM »

Why don't you set up your mixer, a mic, and the EFX and try it out?  You know, be a Mythbuster?

Seriously, you could spend 30 minutes experimenting and find out, plus learn more in the process.

I'm not singling you out, Mark, but we get a lot of posts where the question could be answered by *practical experimentation* but there seems to be some kind of "fear of failure" at play.  There is no shame or harm in experimental failures because those are what creates understanding and true learning.  I don't suggest experimentation on a show but setting up in your garage or living room (we're not talking about an entire PA, just a mixer and a couple outboard devices and headphones or small speaker) would answer a myriad of questions and also would likely create some new questions as well.

Hook stuff up, see how it works and how it all sounds.  Seriously
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Mason

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 03:20:12 AM »

Adding delay to the drum monitors can be entertaining to watch.  :)

You Sir, are an evil genius.
Proz Act Audio
Relax. We got ya covered.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 08:56:15 AM »

You Sir, are an evil genius.
Pitch shift on vocal monitors is even more fun
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 08:59:33 AM »

Why don't you set up your mixer, a mic, and the EFX and try it out?  You know, be a Mythbuster?

Seriously, you could spend 30 minutes experimenting and find out, plus learn more in the process.

I'm not singling you out, Mark, but we get a lot of posts where the question could be answered by *practical experimentation* but there seems to be some kind of "fear of failure" at play.  There is no shame or harm in experimental failures because those are what creates understanding and true learning.  I don't suggest experimentation on a show but setting up in your garage or living room (we're not talking about an entire PA, just a mixer and a couple outboard devices and headphones or small speaker) would answer a myriad of questions and also would likely create some new questions as well.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

That is how most of us learned.  Many hours of hooking up, playing, trying, see what happens etc.

In the 'ol days, we did not have anywhere to turn to (not much anyway), so it was a lot of trial and error.  You learn A LOT that way.

There were no "quick answers" via the internet-yes kids, the internet has not always been around for answers to life.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 06:24:46 PM »

Pitch shift on vocal monitors is even more fun

I've never done this. Especially to someone that deserved it.. ;D

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 06:29:43 PM »

I've never done this. Especially to someone that deserved it.. ;D
Try it, but only in the monitors.

That way they will be "chasing it" all night-------

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »

This is what it's all about...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.