ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF 905asII vs QSC KW181?  (Read 9786 times)

Richard Penrose

RCF 905asII vs QSC KW181?
« on: October 26, 2017, 03:27:23 PM »

Hi,

I’m currently using the QSC KW181 subs which I absolutely love but I have some damage to the top of my spine and could do with something lighter. However, I don’t want less output or depth of bass if I can help it.
I’ve heard great things about the RCF 905asII and I’m wondering if anyone here has had any experience with both these subs?

Stephen Kirby

Re: RCF 905asII vs QSC KW181?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 06:05:43 PM »

Did you mean to put this in the subwoofer forum?  Most historical subs would be a bit harder on the back.  ;)

I hear very good things about the JTR Captivator 212 as a comparatively lightweight cab with output as good or better than most single 18s.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 03:11:41 AM »

Hi. Yes I meant to put this in the subwoofer forum.

Ideally I would like active subs.

Steve Crump

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 02:26:30 PM »

Hi. Yes I meant to put this in the subwoofer forum.

Ideally I would like active subs.

The Captivator 212 comes active also. Great form factor and weight!

Richard Penrose

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 03:53:46 PM »

The Captivator 212 comes active also. Great form factor and weight!

Great! Just had a quick look! Is it possible to buy these in the UK?

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 12:04:50 AM »

Great! Just had a quick look! Is it possible to buy these in the UK?

Absolutely - Jeff ships them around the world. We were visiting his shop a few months ago, and he had eight (8!!!!) Orbit Shifters on pallets heading to Jamaica. I believe he sells a lot of stuff in Europe as well.

And, I'll vouch for the C212 Pro as well. I've used them at a number of venues, and have never had a need for more than two of these little beasts. If you're doing EDM, they won't go down to 19Hz or anything, but for 99% of live music scenarios, they are ridiculous.

I've used two of them in settings that included:

- Outdoor at a local brewery; 300-400 people - 2 were plenty good
- Indoor in an auditorium that seated 450 - 2 were more than enough; 3 were insane
- Indoor at a performance dance hall that held 400 - 2 rocked the place all night long
- Indoor in a small bar that held 150 - I used one and ran it about 50% and it thumped

70-pounds, active, output for days... 39Hz - 250Hz +/-3dB - absolutely brilliant.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 03:47:56 AM »

This is very interesting to read. How does the C212 compare to the KW181? So far I’ve been extremely impressed with the KW181’s and have used them at a variety of events from small corporate gigs around 200 people to ballrooms that hold around 400 people and outdoor events in spaces that hold 500+ people.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 02:12:24 PM »

I find this interesting also.
I would like your thoughts on how easily these subs are moved?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve Crump

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »

I find this interesting also.
I would like your thoughts on how easily these subs are moved?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Can't answer Richard's question about the KW comparison, but I can help with Rob's question above moving.
They are definitely easier than a 90 pound 18" single, but I have some 70 pound EV 18" singles that are compact and I don't find the Captivator to be much different than those. You can flip the Captivator up on it's side and easily lift to a cart. One of the biggest differences (besides performance) for me is transport, with the single 18s I had to allot a larger foot print in my trailer, with the Captivators I can stack 4 in one spot, instead of two spots with the single 18s. Also, for smaller shows it is easier for me to fit a Captivator in the minivan, than it is with a single 18. The 16" height just seems to help with packing tight. 

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 04:16:17 PM »

This is very interesting to read. How does the C212 compare to the KW181? So far I’ve been extremely impressed with the KW181’s and have used them at a variety of events from small corporate gigs around 200 people to ballrooms that hold around 400 people and outdoor events in spaces that hold 500+ people.

Sorry.. I missed the reply - not even sure how I stumbled across it now, but anywho... :-)

The KW181 has more "boom" and will play slightly lower than the C212Pro. So, if you're looking for a sub for DJ use that features a lot of modern hip-hop and whatnot, you'd probably want to go with the KW181.

In terms of live music, "muscialness" (I hate that word but it sort of applies here), output, and form factor - the C212Pro can't be beat.

We've been using 2x C212Pros for the majority of our indoor gigs this fall and winter and have had zero complaints. We did a room that held around 450 people and ended-up using only 2 of the C212Pros for it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 04:16:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.