ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael McDonald show last night  (Read 2816 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Michael McDonald show last night
« on: October 25, 2017, 02:35:27 PM »

Went to see Michael McDonald and Marc Cohn last night at Durham DPac theater.
Over the last few years I haven't been able to say that the sound quality at shows/concerts I have been to has been great IMHO - there is always something that gets drowned out or is simply far too loud in the mix - not to mention muffled vocals -poorly miked drum kits. Its almost as if  they rely far too much on lighting effects. I did start to think it was me and the I had become too critical.
Well last night made me realize it isn't me and I can honestly say the sound was fantastic. I could hear everything and the drums sounded SO GOOD - especially the toms.
Vocals were warm, rich and crystal clear.
Marc, Michael, the musicians and backing vocalists were fantastic and I loved every minute of it. Just some subtle light changes throughout - no effects.
Also I've been to a few shows recently where the artists are - let's just say - past their prime perhaps - NOT in terms of entertainment value but usually mainly the vocals suffer with age. Marc and Michael sound just like they did 30 years ago - such a good concert - WOW!

One more thing .... Michael asked the audience how we liked the sound and did a shout out to the stage crew making sure the audience realized that the quality of sound was down to them.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Michael McDonald show last night
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 03:22:30 PM »

We did a show with MM a couple years ago and the mix was very good indeed.  It's so nice when *music* comes out of the PA, not just sound.

The BE was a delight to work and his requests all made sense for the artist/show.  Steering the subwoofer lobe around so the on-stage portion didn't shake MM's piano bench, a couple adjustments to fill speakers...  It was a great day at the office. :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 07:56:58 AM »

Went to see Michael McDonald and Marc Cohn last night at Durham DPac theater.
Over the last few years I haven't been able to say that the sound quality at shows/concerts I have been to has been great IMHO - there is always something that gets drowned out or is simply far too loud in the mix - not to mention muffled vocals -poorly miked drum kits. Its almost as if  they rely far too much on lighting effects. I did start to think it was me and the I had become too critical.
Well last night made me realize it isn't me and I can honestly say the sound was fantastic. I could hear everything and the drums sounded SO GOOD - especially the toms.
Vocals were warm, rich and crystal clear.
Marc, Michael, the musicians and backing vocalists were fantastic and I loved every minute of it. Just some subtle light changes throughout - no effects.
Also I've been to a few shows recently where the artists are - let's just say - past their prime perhaps - NOT in terms of entertainment value but usually mainly the vocals suffer with age. Marc and Michael sound just like they did 30 years ago - such a good concert - WOW!

One more thing .... Michael asked the audience how we liked the sound and did a shout out to the stage crew making sure the audience realized that the quality of sound was down to them.

Debbie - could you tell if they were using the in house Meyer rig or their own?  Curiosity...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Allred

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »

I suppose that true musicians as they get beyond the need for sheer volume, emphasize quality.  That usually means less is more.

Cudos, perhaps, to the sound crew for letting the audience listen to the music and not the sound.

Debbie,
How would you describe the volume?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 10:13:20 AM »

Debbie - could you tell if they were using the in house Meyer rig or their own?  Curiosity...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to be in house - I couldn't see anything on stage.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »

I suppose that true musicians as they get beyond the need for sheer volume, emphasize quality.  That usually means less is more.

Cudos, perhaps, to the sound crew for letting the audience listen to the music and not the sound.

Debbie,
How would you describe the volume?

Just right - really. I was 2nd tier a few rows from the back and it was more than adequate from where I was sitting.
Maybe you're right and part of the reason the sound was so good is simply the fact that the volume was just right  - not deafening like it sometimes is.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 01:07:39 PM »

Loved when he was with the Doobie Brothers.

Takin it to the Streets is still one of my all time favorite albums.

Listen to it on headphones sometime.

Really good.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 01:59:39 PM »

Just right - really. I was 2nd tier a few rows from the back and it was more than adequate from where I was sitting.
Maybe you're right and part of the reason the sound was so good is simply the fact that the volume was just right  - not deafening like it sometimes is.

I recall the stage being neither especially quiet nor loud, but remember it as sounding balanced.  Most of the performers on IEM, too.  MM had a small analog mixer that got his vocal and instrument inputs for his IEMs, the rest of the performers were on a digital console (Profile, IIRC).

MM was right to recognize his touring crew - they were top notch.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »

I recall the stage being neither especially quiet nor loud, but remember it as sounding balanced.  Most of the performers on IEM, too.  MM had a small analog mixer that got his vocal and instrument inputs for his IEMs, the rest of the performers were on a digital console (Profile, IIRC).

MM was right to recognize his touring crew - they were top notch.

No iems for Michael this time.  As far as I could see - 1 wedge to the side of his piano, 2 wedges in front of the mic stand he used when he played guitar. The keyboard/sax player definitely had a wedge which might have been shared with the 2nd keys player next to him but I didn't see any others. It looks like the other players including the backing singers were using iems.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.