ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 167509 times)

Art Nadelman

Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #310 on: February 25, 2018, 09:58:05 AM »

Andrien is using a GLD.

Well, in that case, Andrien, are you touching 1 fader of the gang or multiple?  I never had that problem on a GLD if I touched only one.

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #311 on: February 25, 2018, 09:54:40 PM »

Well, in that case, Andrien, are you touching 1 fader of the gang or multiple?  I never had that problem on a GLD if I touched only one.
Basically the fader is jittering the value in the system, and when you gang them it will move one or another fader level as the value of the fader keep changing. Have plans for repair (the support says need to replace whole fader assembly for about 900usd converted price).
I think someone did a post on AH forums and in the end they just replaced the fader assembly.

Lets just forget about GLD and back to SQ again, can't wait for the Desktop editor to come so at least I can explore the SQ's interface and features.

Peter Morris

« Reply #312 on: February 26, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »

Basically the fader is jittering the value in the system, and when you gang them it will move one or another fader level as the value of the fader keep changing. Have plans for repair (the support says need to replace whole fader assembly for about 900usd converted price).

You can actually just replace one fader - they are about $35 each.  If they are all getting a bit old it is however worth while replacing the whole board/assembly.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 04:15:01 PM by Peter Morris »

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #313 on: February 26, 2018, 09:11:25 AM »

You can actually just replace one fader - they are about $35 each.  If they are all get a bit old it is however worth while replacing the whole board/assembly.
Replacing it is actually beyond my skill and it is not per fader, but the whole faders actually.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #314 on: February 26, 2018, 10:00:49 AM »

I think someone did a post on AH forums and in the end they just replaced the fader assembly.

Lets just forget about GLD and back to SQ again, can't wait for the Desktop editor to come so at least I can explore the SQ's interface and features.

Have you tried another GLD to see if it behaves the same way? As Art is basically saying if you touch more than one you will get that jittering. And I have never touched a GLD I am speaking about all of the other Digital consoles I have ever dealt with. If you have faders linked on any of them and you touch more than one of the faders it feels bad, like it is fighting you. This is just the way they all work.

This might not be the problem you are experience but if I was you I wouldn’t be so quick to change out the faders, do some more testing. One test if it is possible is gang some faders together with only one of them on one layer. And then just move that one and see what it does. This may be the nature of the beast or it may even be just the way the firmware handles it. Does it get worse with the more faders you gang together? I assume that you aren’t talking about just linking a stereo pair. Is it only a certain combination of faders linked together that cause the problem?

Regarding the desktop editor, I think it is a great way to figure out the capabilities of the Mixer. But it doesn’t tell you what it is like to actually try and work with the surface/the user interface. Where are all of the knobs and buttons on the mixer and how quickly can you get to what you need to get to and adjust it.

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #315 on: February 26, 2018, 09:17:13 PM »

Have you tried another GLD to see if it behaves the same way? As Art is basically saying if you touch more than one you will get that jittering. And I have never touched a GLD I am speaking about all of the other Digital consoles I have ever dealt with. If you have faders linked on any of them and you touch more than one of the faders it feels bad, like it is fighting you. This is just the way they all work.

This might not be the problem you are experience but if I was you I wouldn’t be so quick to change out the faders, do some more testing. One test if it is possible is gang some faders together with only one of them on one layer. And then just move that one and see what it does. This may be the nature of the beast or it may even be just the way the firmware handles it. Does it get worse with the more faders you gang together? I assume that you aren’t talking about just linking a stereo pair. Is it only a certain combination of faders linked together that cause the problem?

Regarding the desktop editor, I think it is a great way to figure out the capabilities of the Mixer. But it doesn’t tell you what it is like to actually try and work with the surface/the user interface. Where are all of the knobs and buttons on the mixer and how quickly can you get to what you need to get to and adjust it.
Pretty sure it is the fader, it doesn't happen previously. It actually just occur for the past 4 months I think.

Of course desktop editor won't tell how I gonna work with the surface, but I also do quite a lot of mixing on the desktop more than on the desk itself (technically on laptops tho). It is nice to mix using a pen and a Win Tablet especially if the desktop apps is optimized for touchscreen too.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #316 on: March 12, 2018, 11:06:17 AM »

New version 1.2 software released!

http://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/sq/sq-software/

Additional Features:
D-Classic Automatic Mic Mixing added.
Support for DX-Hub.
‘Chorus’ and ‘Noo Phaser’ FX units added.
Assignable Channel Colours.
Factory Processing Libraries added.
Input to PAFL source point selection added.

Looks like the deep plugin store is in development too.
https://shop.allen-heath.com/
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #317 on: May 02, 2018, 03:42:46 PM »

http://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/sq/

SQ-6 Features

96kHz FPGA processing
48 Input Channels
DEEP Processing ready
25 Faders / 6 Layers
12 Stereo mixes + LR
3 Stereo Matrix
8 Stereo FX Engines + dedicated returns
7” capacitive touchscreen
SLink port for remote audio / expansion
64ch I/O Port for audio networking
32×32 USB audio interface
SQ-Drive direct recording to USB
AES output
Chromatic channel metering
Integrated LED illumination
Dedicated physical controls
16 Assignable SoftKeys
4 Assignable Soft Rotaries
Channel LCD displays

Spent some time with the SQ-6 today. Being a Qu-16/Qu-SB/GLD80 user I wasn't sure if the SQ would be a major upgrade from what I already have.
It sure looks like it is.
Can I tell the difference between 48KHz and 96KHz? No. But the functionality of the console is pretty impressive for $3500.
One feature I love is the ability to convert stereo aux sends to 2 mono sends. And scribble strips are almost a necessity now (have them the GLD but not the Qu).
The issue for me is I don't get to mix on a board with real faders more than a few times a year so justification will be tough!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #318 on: May 02, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »

Spent some time with the SQ-6 today. Being a Qu-16/Qu-SB/GLD80 user I wasn't sure if the SQ would be a major upgrade from what I already have.
It sure looks like it is.
Can I tell the difference between 48KHz and 96KHz? No. But the functionality of the console is pretty impressive for $3500.
One feature I love is the ability to convert stereo aux sends to 2 mono sends. And scribble strips are almost a necessity now (have them the GLD but not the Qu).
The issue for me is I don't get to mix on a board with real faders more than a few times a year so justification will be tough!

I have an SQ-5. I like it so far though it is still missing some important features. The basics are there so I hope they will fill in the missing stuff soonish.

Have sidechain but no ducker
Have matrices but only stereo.
Inputs, groups and auxes can be mono or stereo.
You can adjust the balance of how many auxes vs groups.
No on board show files. Not a big deal if you just leave a USB stick plugged in..
No off line editor- I use the GLD editor extensively.

Oh, and it sounds good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #319 on: May 02, 2018, 10:41:50 PM »

That's a great point about having an editor, I hadn't thought about that while considering an SQ.

Editing offline saves me quite a bit of time on show day when I have a good stage plot and accurate requirements (it does happen!  :D )
Colorado Springs, CO

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #319 on: May 02, 2018, 10:41:50 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.