ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 167424 times)

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #210 on: January 03, 2018, 08:14:07 PM »

Thanks for the preliminary review Peter, especially the parts about the feel, since that can't be gleaned from any manuals or webinars!  Channel-to-all-mix sounds pretty slick.

I honestly lost interest in this desk for my backup as soon as I realized it wouldn't talk to my iLive over Dante due to 48k vs 96k sample rates (I hope they're listening). 

Oh well, still good to stay current on these new boards, I think this will be a big seller for A&H. 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Peter Morris

« Reply #211 on: January 03, 2018, 08:15:19 PM »

Our church have used both GLD and Qu, and our GLD is currently have lots of problem (vibrating faders, mising scene and failed recall, phantom power goes haywire,etc2). Do you think it is better to replace the GLD with SQ? I wish our GLD mixpad is at least similar to SQ mixpad, the app is so much more intuitive even if it is currently still unfinished.

The only question I have is how much longer will the GLD remain a current model, its a great little desk and I think it still has some life left, but I don't how much.

To me A&H long term strategy (I'm just guessing) seems to be:-  Qu ... SQ ... C class dLive ... S class dLive.

If you have a GLD 112 I would repair it or up grade to a C class dLive if you can.  If its a GLD80 I would look at the SQ, and of course repairing the 80 would also be an option.

The SQ is very new and it would be nice to buy a bit of time before you have to make a decision.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:06:18 AM by Peter Morris »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2018, 08:30:13 PM »

The only question I have is how much longer will the GLD remain a current model, its a great little desk and I think it still has some life left, but I don't how much.

To me A&H long term strategy (I just guessing) seems to be:-  Qu ... SQ ... C class dLive ... S class dLive.

If you have a GLD 112 I would repair it or up grade to a C class dLive if you can.  If its a GLD80 I would look at the SQ, and of course repairing the 80 would also be an option.

The SQ is very new and it would be nice to buy a bit of time before you have to make a decision.
I was thinking the same thing.  An SQ with DLive processing seems like it would play in the same market as a GLD.  Hard to see a reason to have both.  Perhaps others have a different opinion?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:11 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  An SQ with DLive processing seems like it would play in the same market as a GLD.  Hard to see a reason to have both.  Perhaps others have a different opinion?

They just released an update for the GLD.
I like the split surface. I use that heavily. I would miss it on the SQ. I also like choosing my colors. I use green for vocals. Dedicated colors is something I don’t like on the soundcraft desks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2018, 10:26:28 PM »

To me A&H long term strategy (I just guessing) seems to be:-  Qu ... SQ ... C class dLive ... S class dLive.

Long term, DLive "guts" is the logical answer.  DLive S, DLive C, and SQ.  I don't see GLD or Qu in that future.  The space between an SQ6 and C1500 isn't much, I don't know if a "DLive G" could fit.  I would love a 64ch "DLive G" 112 console though!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #215 on: January 04, 2018, 03:01:42 AM »

Long term, DLive "guts" is the logical answer.  DLive S, DLive C, and SQ.  I don't see GLD or Qu in that future.  The space between an SQ6 and C1500 isn't much, I don't know if a "DLive G" could fit.  I would love a 64ch "DLive G" 112 console though!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
I wish for that too, currently we use about 12 channel for weekly service and 32 channel for orchestral and choir events. The GLD80 will be repaired, but while it goes to repair we need a backup mixer for our weekly services. We also only use 3 mono aux for our monitors and the rest of the auxes are usually used for multiroom distribution and recording (which at most use 8 mono aux). I really like the SQ Mixpad, it seems to me very intuitive even though many features are not available right now. We could also reuse our current audio rack if necessary.

ps: Our GLD80 has this funny vibrating faders during operation, and the cost to repair is about 1200usd (converted) excluding service charge. Our installer inform us that GLD series is discontinued so they do offer discount price for new leftover board though.

Art Nadelman

« Reply #216 on: January 04, 2018, 10:02:14 AM »

Our installer inform us that GLD series is discontinued so they do offer discount price for new leftover board though.

The GLD is definitely NOT discontinued.

Where are you located?

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #217 on: January 04, 2018, 10:21:30 PM »

The GLD is definitely NOT discontinued.

Where are you located?

Indonesia, we actually have difficulty sourcing AB168, and thus on our last event we sadly have to purchase AR84. They say that AH close their original factory and move manufacturing to China (our AR84 is made in China while our early AR2412 is still made in England, the purple one). If I'm not mistaken, they are selling the GLD80+AR2412 at price a little bit higher to Qu32 series (about 500usd difference if I recalled correctly).

Notes: I never know that pre-amps needs warm up, the first startup of AR84 it sounded terrible (very mid-centric), only after about 1 week of use it sounded normally, is it normal behaviour? We almost send it back while still have warranty.

Sorry for getting out of topic.

Bob Harvey

• Central VA
« Reply #218 on: January 13, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »

Well ... I'm not off to a good relationship with my new SQ-5.   >:(

In just three days of ownership, it has locked up (all controls frozen) on three occasions requiring a power off to recover.

Audio would pass, but no buttons were operational.  Faders would move, but had no effect.

SQ MixPad was running and connection was lost. Upon powering the mixer, SQ MixPad failed to connect.

It's got the latest firmware ... which may need closer examination.

Fortunately, I wasn't at a gig!  Now I'm nervous.

Looks like the X32 will be seeing extended duty.
- Bob

Scott Bolt

« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2018, 08:50:26 PM »

Well ... I'm not off to a good relationship with my new SQ-5.   >:(

In just three days of ownership, it has locked up (all controls frozen) on three occasions requiring a power off to recover.

Audio would pass, but no buttons were operational.  Faders would move, but had no effect.

SQ MixPad was running and connection was lost. Upon powering the mixer, SQ MixPad failed to connect.

It's got the latest firmware ... which may need closer examination.

Fortunately, I wasn't at a gig!  Now I'm nervous.

Looks like the X32 will be seeing extended duty.
The Soundcraft Si series had a similar rough start.  I suspect that things will get ironed out within the next 6 months.  Until then, I would keep that X32 close at hand ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2018, 08:50:26 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.