ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 167541 times)

Art Nadelman

Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 11:41:50 AM »

From the literature on-line:

6 layers of 16 faders provide 96 assignable strips for access to any combination of channels, returns, masters and DCAs.

It's not clear to me whether the inputs and outputs can be assigned as on the GLD.

Yes.  Any input or output can be assigned to any fader.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 12:12:54 PM »

Yes.  Any input or output can be assigned to any fader.
While that's true, that's not my question.  The SQ series seems to clearly be fixed architecture.  The GLD lets you adjust how many stereo auxes, mono auxes, matricies, etc. which actually changes the number of audio paths.  The SQ is defined - 12 stereo auxes, 8 mute groups, 8 DCAs (The GLD has 16 DCAs that are also mute groups), etc.

The SQ's setup will be great for a lot of people, I have no doubt.  Last weekend I ran 16 mono auxes.  Would having 12 plus 4 ME-1 boxes have been a deal breaker?  No, but it's nice that the GLD could do it.

If I had nothing I'd buy the SQ in a heartbeat, but there's nothing the SQ does that I need that my GLD systems don't already do, and (IMO) the GLD is a nicer surface.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 02:33:36 PM »

I'd rather have 16 physical analog outputs than 14.

I'd rather have MONO matrices that can be linked if needed, and I need to have 8, not six.

The SQ is soooo close...

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 03:04:27 PM »

I'd rather have 16 physical analog outputs than 14.

I'd rather have MONO matrices that can be linked if needed, and I need to have 8, not six.

The SQ is soooo close...
I think the SQ will be a great product for a lot of people, and I am grateful for the downward price pressure it will put on the market, but I agree: Close, but no cigar.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 05:33:53 PM »

I want to touch one in the flesh to see how easy it is to work with that screen.  The higher end boards have large touch screens that make doing everything on the screen practical.  Things like the Qu have dedicated encoders which speeds up access.  This seems caught somewhere in the middle.  More soft button presses but on a comparitively small screen.  The cost of a 10-14" screen is low enough I would think it could be absorbed into a $3k+ board.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »

Psssh.  Not even a place to put my iPad, let alone iPhone.

Trevor Jalla

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 10:56:57 PM »

Do I misread or is the max channel count limited to 48?

When running stereo IEMs, I routinely double patch all inputs so the band can mix/tweak themselves without messing FOH. Having 48 caps me at 24 channel show, or less if I want to add click track, MD mic, ambient mics etc, even if I were to add a stagebox for additional physical I/O

12 stereo mixes is great, something I wish I had - but the channel count on my Si Ex1 makes me appreciate that little desk even more right now.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 11:31:02 PM »

Do I misread or is the max channel count limited to 48?

When running stereo IEMs, I routinely double patch all inputs so the band can mix/tweak themselves without messing FOH. Having 48 caps me at 24 channel show, or less if I want to add click track, MD mic, ambient mics etc, even if I were to add a stagebox for additional physical I/O

12 stereo mixes is great, something I wish I had - but the channel count on my Si Ex1 makes me appreciate that little desk even more right now.
The whole point is to raise what "entry level but not junk" is defined as.  The X/M32 held that spot for a while, this is aiming to redefine that bar.  32 plus misc inputs becomes 48, many stereo outs rather than mono, ability to have 24 physical input faders without switching rather than 16, 96kHz and some degree of DLive DNA rather than Behringer DNA, ability to use 16ch or 40ch personal mixers, newer/higher count Dante card, touch screen, nicer scribble strips, etc.  It's not meant to compete with GLD, other than channel count. 

If this is the new entry level (not counting the iPad only "toy" mixers) - I'm all for it. 

I just wish the GLD would fade and DLive C to have a small price drop.  Or a DLive based GLD replacement, 64ch, for around $8k. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Othmane Alaoui

• Produkson - Sound & Lights
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 12:28:58 AM »

The whole point is to raise what "entry level but not junk" is defined as.  The X/M32 held that spot for a while, this is aiming to redefine that bar.  32 plus misc inputs becomes 48, many stereo outs rather than mono, ability to have 24 physical input faders without switching rather than 16, 96kHz and some degree of DLive DNA rather than Behringer DNA, ability to use 16ch or 40ch personal mixers, newer/higher count Dante card, touch screen, nicer scribble strips, etc.  It's not meant to compete with GLD, other than channel count. 

If this is the new entry level (not counting the iPad only "toy" mixers) - I'm all for it. 

I just wish the GLD would fade and DLive C to have a small price drop.  Or a DLive based GLD replacement, 64ch, for around $8k. 

I so agree with you ! It's a perfect upgrade to an X32, love the concept but would also love a smaller D or a cheaper vi1000 !
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:37:56 AM by Mac Kerr »

Trevor Jalla

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »

Given the price point of the SQ, I concede this is a fair call. But the lure of the 12 stereo mixes is made (for me) redundant by the capped channel count.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.