ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help ready for new speakers please advise! Jblsrx812p vs Yamaha dsr112  (Read 1136 times)

Minh Anh

Im debating between those speakers. I want three way speakers but yesterday I checked out the Jblsrx835p the size is too big. I want natural sound would likely to go for Presonus 312ai three ways but where I live we have none of the speakers I listed.  Is Jbl srx812p better than Yamaha dsr112 and Jbl prx735? I dont like the qsc k12 nor k135 either they just seem to be too digital and the vocal didnt not sound clear. Please advise on the Jbl srx812p and yamaha dsr112. I dont see much people using Presonus 312ai. Thank you all!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:14:46 pm »

Im debating between those speakers.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions

Is Jbl srx812p better than Yamaha dsr112 and Jbl prx735?

Better or worse is in the ear of the beholder.  The Yamaha DSR112 has many fans on this forum (do a quick search) but, as recently documented, you may wish to select whichever company will provide you the best service in the event of a malfunction.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

snip
but, as recently documented, you may wish to select whichever company will provide you the best service in the event of a malfunction.

IMO, either company will yield similar service results.

Coverage pattern and slight sound difference are the only real differences that I see.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina

To be fair, I've had a few not so good customer service issues in my communications with JBL - especially regarding my  SRX800 purchases back in 2015, so on that front - I wouldn't put Yamaha too far behind JBL.
Regarding SRX812 vs DSR112 in sound quality and SPL ..... as I have said many times, there is so very little difference between the 2 that for the money, IMHO the DSR is hard to beat. They might even start to get cheaper soon because of the new DZR line launch..
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's

My experience with JBL has been different I guess? I have only had to do 2 RA's with them and both times I was back in business within a week! That being said, I imagine that customer service has been taking a back seat in order to keep the $$$$$ in the pockets of those who want it most...... Truth is, the MI grade stuff ( of what was once simply affordable pro audio gear ) is just too much of a cost burden for manufacturers to prioritize.

To the point though, both are going to be great speakers, it will come down more to what you value in them most. They both get relatively loud, but one is networkable and has lots of user configurable DSP in it. One is also a bit more expensive than the other. I sought out and purchased the JBL SRX812sp and I am stoked about it. It sounds great, performs great and does the job. It is a little expensive though and pretty heavy at 60lbs. I bought the Ultimate Stands TS100B ( air assist ) stands and it makes short order of the weight!!!

The Yamaha, I was never really sold on, but I do not doubt that it sounds good. My reason for not buying it was more because Yamaha doesn't have a sub in its lineup that compliments it well, or at least to the spec I desired. I am big on having a complete product line in my inventory and I want that product line to be complimentary. The JBL SRX lineup was what fit my system design goals. I was also not a fan of the D-Contour thing that Yamaha touted, even if it was able to be turned off.

The two things I don't care for about the SRX was its overall size and it does seem to rattle at certain notes. The size is pretty big for a 12" speaker ( it is closer in size to many 15" models ) and it is absolutely not what I would consider an appropriate monitor speaker...... The rattle I can live with and my investigation shows that it is the locking mechanism for the XLR that is rattling. Something I may void my warranty for to remove it?

I say pick a budget and a speaker that fits your needs the most.
I don't understand how you can't hear your self

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina

My experience with JBL has been different I guess? I have only had to do 2 RA's with them and both times I was back in business within a week! That being said, I imagine that customer service has been taking a back seat in order to keep the $$$$$ in the pockets of those who want it most...... Truth is, the MI grade stuff ( of what was once simply affordable pro audio gear ) is just too much of a cost burden for manufacturers to prioritize.

To the point though, both are going to be great speakers, it will come down more to what you value in them most. They both get relatively loud, but one is networkable and has lots of user configurable DSP in it. One is also a bit more expensive than the other. I sought out and purchased the JBL SRX812sp and I am stoked about it. It sounds great, performs great and does the job. It is a little expensive though and pretty heavy at 60lbs. I bought the Ultimate Stands TS100B ( air assist ) stands and it makes short order of the weight!!!

The Yamaha, I was never really sold on, but I do not doubt that it sounds good. My reason for not buying it was more because Yamaha doesn't have a sub in its lineup that compliments it well, or at least to the spec I desired. I am big on having a complete product line in my inventory and I want that product line to be complimentary. The JBL SRX lineup was what fit my system design goals. I was also not a fan of the D-Contour thing that Yamaha touted, even if it was able to be turned off.

The two things I don't care for about the SRX was its overall size and it does seem to rattle at certain notes. The size is pretty big for a 12" speaker ( it is closer in size to many 15" models ) and it is absolutely not what I would consider an appropriate monitor speaker...... The rattle I can live with and my investigation shows that it is the locking mechanism for the XLR that is rattling. Something I may void my warranty for to remove it?

I understand this completely. I use PRX718XLF's with my DSR's and they sound great together BUT keeping brands uniform for FOH does look better at shows. Now Yamaha has the DXS sub which from all accounts is MUCH better sounding than the DSR so could be an option.
The SRX812 is VERY heavy for its driver size but perhaps that is indicative of how well built it is? During the time my DSR was down, we used our SRX812's for most shows - sounded fantastic, but Chris noticed the weight even with gas assisted stands-still have to lift them up there!!
The upside is they have a side handle - the Yamaha's do not and I have not had any of my SRX speakers let me down (had to say it)

I agree though- it comes down to preference...
You pays your money - you makes your choice!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jon Mulhern

Good advice - I have a pair of PRX710 for ceremony/light duty.  One has rattled since day one.  I have heard a lot of comments about JBL build quality being less than stellar.  I'm sure the VRX is fine - but PRX, forget it...SRX - maybe the same issues?  I loved my DSR115s but sold them because I never used them.  Now I miss them and am looking for a 12/15 inch replacement.  I will prob get a set of DSR112s or DB Tech Ingenias

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Good advice - I have a pair of PRX710 for ceremony/light duty.  One has rattled since day one.  I have heard a lot of comments about JBL build quality being less than stellar.  I'm sure the VRX is fine - but PRX, forget it...SRX - maybe the same issues?  I loved my DSR115s but sold them because I never used them.  Now I miss them and am looking for a 12/15 inch replacement.  I will prob get a set of DSR112s or DB Tech Ingenias

Hi Jon-

Welcome the LAB Lounge.

You might not have noticed that the topic you replied do was last active in April of 2018.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.