ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: consoles consoles consoles  (Read 13895 times)

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
Re: consoles consoles consoles
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »

Whats the current console they are turning down?  Funny thing is we have an "older member of a group you have heard of" next month.  Console must be 40ch+ analog, prefer Midas XL4.  I laughed at the sales guy when he said that!
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 05:27:30 PM »

Heres the thing. I'm doing a series of shows over the next year involving emerging artists, mostly pop rock vein. The artists are being pushed by their labels and are mostly on their first tour with any support, eg first time traveling with any crew beyond a bus driver. Our room is usually the smallest on the tour 300 cap standing and most other stops are 750 soft seat.

The PA is adequate for the room, monitors are appropriate for the size of stage but I've been getting a bit of resistance on the console, mostly with needing more channels/ features. why isnt this an S6/SD10/SC48 etc etc

What is a bare bones desk that would get the job done. 24 in. 8 out minimum and have most BE no too upset? has the M32 gotten any decent acceptance

I'm almost of the mind to go back to analog and tell these kids to suck it up

I'm not too keen on dropping 15k on an entry level digico/avid product and the nearest rental house that would let one out is a good 5 hour round trip so that's a non starter right there.

Hi Richard-

In a previous century I was there, did that, not sure what happened to the t-shirt.

For a 300 cap room I'm thrilled if all the of snake channels work, all of the console inputs work, the monitors are 100% functional and there are enough working mic cables and boom stands for my act.

If your venue is a 'destination' for live music in your market there is probably a higher expectation as to the level of gear, but for a 300 seat space any of the larger consoles would be folly - they'll reduce your seating capacity.  You can't give up 5% or more of your revenue for the console footprint alone.

The Dirty Little Secret is that almost every soundperson that's mixed in the last 4 years has an M32/X32 show file or template on a USB drive.  While some may cringe to admit it, they've touched and used these mixers.  A subset of those soundpersons will have a Soundcraft Si show file but they're few.

If I were coming to a 300 seat showroom venue with a band carrying IEM rig, mics & DIs, what I'd be happy to see:  An input to your house snake that can be either stage left or stage right, to accept my XLR fan out; plan on 32 channels (seriously).  Console could be any modern digital mixer or lovingly maintained analog package so long as you can help me if I'm in over my head with your desk.  I might need some stands and cables, too.

If we're coming in with just backline... It Depends...  But please, please please do NOT give me consoles with gain sharing and consider it a monitor split.  Please do NOT give me a tablet to mix FOH at show time.  For sound check?  Sure, and it's appreciated.  Give me a physical surface for the show.  If we're doing monitors from FOH please have it all sussed out before we arrive.  Better yet, here's my phone number - call me and we'll figure out how to do our show in your venue....

Whats the current console they are turning down?  Funny thing is we have an "older member of a group you have heard of" next month.  Console must be 40ch+ analog, prefer Midas XL4.  I laughed at the sales guy when he said that!

I think it's the expectation level that is surprising Richard...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 06:19:41 PM »

Whats the current console they are turning down?

A QU16 from his Sig.

An X/M32 is a logical choice if bands are going to say yes, I'm not seeing a large amount of failures like Helge is alluding to. A D-Live, or one of the predecessors if you can find one used would be a step up, but I have found rider acceptance to be a continuing problem with A&H.

Digico is becoming very popular in my area, I can see them surpassing Avid at this rate. That said, I would not recommend the S series unless you want to baby sit all the visiting techs. I recently was working a festival, and had one tech that could not get their head around the multi touch screen, I watched her get more and more frustrated every time the console did not respond to her pokes the way she was expecting it to. An SD9 should keep most up and coming acts happy, but is a big leap financially from a QU16.

I look at this from both the venue guy and the touring guy perspective.

As a venue tech, we have an SD9 with a D2 rack, if this is not up to snuff bring your own console, or we'll rent you something at your expense. I don't think you could pull that with a QU16, and neither could we when we had our old Soundcraft GB4 installed.

As a visiting tech, I ask for an SD9, followed by an S21, followed by an M/X32. If none of those can be provided, I toss my own S21 and D Rack in the truck.

Mentally prepare yourself for the frustrating moment when a tech demands a Profile/SD/Pro series console for FOH, then pulls an X32Rack out of the truck for monitors.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Aisle 6

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 06:57:34 PM »

They need to advance the show if they care about the systems. If they are too inexperienced for this, then they will learn after having this situation once or twice.
If they care that much, then they need to talk to the TM and either get budget approval or suck it up. Sounds like they may not have a TM. If they are not willing to pay, then they are stuck with it. I am sure that you advance your spec to them or their management. So again, they need to suck it up.

X32/M32...sigh! I suppose I would dust of that secret show file that I like to ignore. ; )

A&H d-live is gaining acceptance in OZ and UK/Europe and A&H are about to announce a pretty sweet little console on Wednesday the 25th OCT. that sounds like it will be a real price point killer.

At the end of the day, the tour agrees to a spec. and either is grateful or is willing to pay to upgrade or the FOH Engineer carries their own board. They are the choices.

Richard Turner

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 07:29:37 PM »

Yes, they usually attempt to advance the show. For the past few years its been local weekend warriors doing covers who are happy to not have to run cables themselves and have someone on deck to mix foh and monitors. The venue is trying to step up but I'm also working with a limited budget in trying to keep things around $1.66 per ticket for my part of the bill. Ohh yeah those are Canadian dollars too...

There is an AVID dealer/ production house looking at selling off 3-5 SC48 units. ones up on ebay as a feeler at $17500 US without case set up for 48 in 16 out local but they are open to offers, a couple were install leases no case and a couple were corporate use only, couple others were toured regionally. They are open to legitimate offer but I'd guess 15k cash picked up with case would be the lowest till they sit on them for a bit. Thats still way beyond a new s3 with digital stage box 32/16

I'm not much for Soundcraft/JBL based mostly on their dealer network in Canada. They've as much as told me anyone without  half million of current inventory in their warehouse is not seen as a serious customer.

I've been an allen -heath user for over a decade and I do like the QU-16. its a great little utility board and I like the menu layout and remote by tablet.

At this point I'm on the fence between just being the sheep and buying a X32 full size and staying allen heath with a qu-32.

If they want more they will have to pay more, and they money guys will tell them to suck it up or send the bands out with their own FOH rig.

I've got a perfectly good crest century GT -32 channel collecting dust. I just have no interest in dragging it in and out. If there was a year long contract signed with the venue I'd likely just donate it to them along with the outboard and snake for having the steady work.

I'va also got an antique Yamaha MQ 1602, next one to comment on lack of console is getting that for the night.....
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »

Yes, they usually attempt to advance the show. For the past few years its been local weekend warriors doing covers who are happy to not have to run cables themselves and have someone on deck to mix foh and monitors. The venue is trying to step up but I'm also working with a limited budget in trying to keep things around $1.66 per ticket for my part of the bill. Ohh yeah those are Canadian dollars too...

There is an AVID dealer/ production house looking at selling off 3-5 SC48 units. ones up on ebay as a feeler at $17500 US without case set up for 48 in 16 out local but they are open to offers, a couple were install leases no case and a couple were corporate use only, couple others were toured regionally. They are open to legitimate offer but I'd guess 15k cash picked up with case would be the lowest till they sit on them for a bit. Thats still way beyond a new s3 with digital stage box 32/16

I'm not much for Soundcraft/JBL based mostly on their dealer network in Canada. They've as much as told me anyone without  half million of current inventory in their warehouse is not seen as a serious customer.

I've been an allen -heath user for over a decade and I do like the QU-16. its a great little utility board and I like the menu layout and remote by tablet.

At this point I'm on the fence between just being the sheep and buying a X32 full size and staying allen heath with a qu-32.

If they want more they will have to pay more, and they money guys will tell them to suck it up or send the bands out with their own FOH rig.

I've got a perfectly good crest century GT -32 channel collecting dust. I just have no interest in dragging it in and out. If there was a year long contract signed with the venue I'd likely just donate it to them along with the outboard and snake for having the steady work.

I'va also got an antique Yamaha MQ 1602, next one to comment on lack of console is getting that for the night.....

Maybe after this coming A&H announcement you may find some GLDs for good prices?
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Richard Turner

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 08:42:03 PM »

Is this a new mid tier system? Announcment or releasing to dealers? If its just an announcment and wont be in north america till after NAMM that well beyond any time line I am considering.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 11:45:01 PM »

Not mentioned on this board much Richard, but in the Boston area Soundcraft Vi consoles are accepted and very well liked. A step down from the Vi1 would be an Si Performer, which seems to be in wide use in monitor world.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 12:10:47 AM »

Is this a new mid tier system? Announcment or releasing to dealers? If its just an announcment and wont be in north america till after NAMM that well beyond any time line I am considering.

I was at AES NYC on a Friday talking to an A&H booth guy and he said to watch for the announcement. Since the topic we were discussing was consoles, ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Peter Morris

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 02:19:50 AM »

I was at AES NYC on a Friday talking to an A&H booth guy and he said to watch for the announcement. Since the topic we were discussing was consoles, ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Its on Allen and Heath's face book page ... just a tease for tomorrow the 25th ...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 02:19:50 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.