Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

hearing loop popularity

(1/4) > >>

Ken Cross:
I've noticed people are finally understanding the need for hearing loops (T-coil compatible systems). Since 1967 telephones have been required in the US to be compatible with hearing aids, but hearing aids haven't been required to be compatible with telephones. We installed a loop system in our Church sanctuary about 3 or 4 years ago. At the time we were the only installation I could find north of Seattle. Now they are popping up all over, and I ask myself why audiologists don't seem to tell hearing aid users what this can do for them.

Do you talk with people about the need for this system? Most of us who hear normally seem to assume louder will make hearing better for those people who do use hearing aids. (That couldn't be farther from the truth.) This is an area most of us should get familiar with. We put in an Oval Window system that was only $895 (plus our volunteer labor.) Offering from only one hearing aid wearer can easily pay for it.

Ken

Ken Cross:
I should have included a link:

This will show how these systems work. Almost all congregations have hearing aid users.
Those who don't have "T" coils in their hearing aids can just use a receiver and headphones (around $100 each) for the same benefit.

Here are a couple links:
http://www.ampetronic.co/How-do-loops-work
http://www.ovalwindowaudio.com/satellite.html

Ken

Lee Buckalew:

--- Quote from: Ken Cross on October 22, 2017, 09:58:41 AM ---I should have included a link:

This will show how these systems work. Almost all congregations have hearing aid users.
Those who don't have "T" coils in their hearing aids can just use a receiver and headphones (around $100 each) for the same benefit.

Here are a couple links:
http://www.ampetronic.co/How-do-loops-work
http://www.ovalwindowaudio.com/satellite.html

Ken

--- End quote ---

Ken,
All ADA compliant systems have individual hearing loop capability simply by plugging an individual loop in instead of an earphone. 

Most churches that I deal with have some type of assisted listening system installed.

As far as induction loop systems go, for spaces of any significant size a single loop does not work very well because the level to listeners will vary by too much, instead there is a need to install a phased loop and that requires installation on (or maybe under, depending on construction materials) the floor every few rows. 
For most installations this is quite expensive. 

There can also be problems related to steel reinforced concrete and/or large steel beams in support structure.  Both of these cause problems to the radiated magnetic field.  All of this can and should be tested for prior to deciding on any specific loop system.

For live performance where electric guitars or other pickup-coil based musical instruments are used they can also be problematic especially when using a simple open loop rather than a phased loop. 

The main reason that I have seen for induction loop systems not being done more often throughout the U.S. is the cost when compared to an FM based system.

Lee

Cailen Waddell:

--- Quote from: Lee Buckalew on October 22, 2017, 01:05:19 PM ---Ken,
All ADA compliant systems have individual hearing loop capability simply by plugging an individual loop in instead of an earphone. 

Most churches that I deal with have some type of assisted listening system installed.

As far as induction loop systems go, for spaces of any significant size a single loop does not work very well because the level to listeners will vary by too much, instead there is a need to install a phased loop and that requires installation on (or maybe under, depending on construction materials) the floor every few rows. 
For most installations this is quite expensive. 

There can also be problems related to steel reinforced concrete and/or large steel beams in support structure.  Both of these cause problems to the radiated magnetic field.  All of this can and should be tested for prior to deciding on any specific loop system.

For live performance where electric guitars or other pickup-coil based musical instruments are used they can also be problematic especially when using a simple open loop rather than a phased loop. 

The main reason that I have seen for induction loop systems not being done more often throughout the U.S. is the cost when compared to an FM based system.

Lee

--- End quote ---

We have had local audiologist offer to donate induction loop installs in a couple local theaters.  We have politely declined.  We are very happy with our FM system.  We have hearing aid compatible receivers.  Our patrons are happy.  It’s good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Cross:

--- Quote from: Cailen Waddell on October 22, 2017, 01:22:57 PM ---We have had local audiologist offer to donate induction loop installs in a couple local theaters.  We have politely declined.  We are very happy with our FM system.  We have hearing aid compatible receivers.  Our patrons are happy.  It’s good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

The thing I like best about loop systems is that no extra equipment is needed for those with T coils in their hearing aids.

As for dynamic interference (such as guitar pickups) just don't install the loop in their area. My experience is mostly in smaller (200 seat) churches and I have seen no problems with signal level. You are certainly right that it's important to avoid running the loop parallel to long metal objects.

As for user satisfaction, they seem to rave about the loop system, they don't feel singled out by needing extra equipment to hear, and aren't seen with headsets.
Our old RF system has many people refuse to use it because of a stigma.

Few churches in our area have the assistive listening equipment and the majority of members seem to have grey hair. I'm throwing this out to ask folks to consider helping these people.

Ken

Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version