ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Best bang for buck/flexible Powered 12 + 18" powered sub  (Read 8891 times)

Gary Weller

Best bang for buck/flexible Powered 12 + 18" powered sub
« on: October 20, 2017, 10:37:02 PM »

The band I mix for is thinking of getting a new PA and keeping their old JBL EON rig as a spare/practice rig. Light weight is required. Is the DSR112 still the king in it's range? What sub would be a good match PRX 818 or KW181? I'd like to do subs on aux without a DSP but I see the DSR's cross @120 and the PRX cross @80 and the KW @ 100. Desk is Si2 Expression.

Stephen Kirby

Re: Best bang for buck/flexible Powered 12 + 18" powered sub
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 11:18:15 PM »

Note that with the subs hot, the actual acoustic crossover will be higher than the DSP settings.  In practical terms, I kind of like a bit of a hole in the 100-150 range.  Keeps the mud down with live bands.  Especially if there are loud guitars and 4-12s.  I use an external Xillica processor with my DSRs and still have their crossover point up at 120 while the subs are at 100Hz.

Gary Weller

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 11:35:16 PM »

Note that with the subs hot, the actual acoustic crossover will be higher than the DSP settings.  In practical terms, I kind of like a bit of a hole in the 100-150 range.  Keeps the mud down with live bands.  Especially if there are loud guitars and 4-12s.  I use an external Xillica processor with my DSRs and still have their crossover point up at 120 while the subs are at 100Hz.

I like to do that as well, I'm thinking the KW181 might be the way to go with their 100Hz vs JBL's 80Hz. Actually this band is quiet, even the guitar player, all IEMs except for the guitar player who has a wedge.

Jay Marr

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 10:56:24 AM »

The band I mix for is thinking of getting a new PA and keeping their old JBL EON rig as a spare/practice rig. Light weight is required. Is the DSR112 still the king in it's range? What sub would be a good match PRX 818 or KW181? I'd like to do subs on aux without a DSP but I see the DSR's cross @120 and the PRX cross @80 and the KW @ 100. Desk is Si2 Expression.

If I had to buy an all powered 12/18 system tomorrow, I would buy Yamaha DSR112 and Yorkville LS808 subs.
I have the DSRs and love them.  I've tried the Yorkville's and they have outstanding punch...great for band bar gigs.
If those are too heavy, then KW or PRX6/7 series.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »

I've used DSR112 and KW118 quite a bit and found it to be a good combo. 1 KW118 per DSR is fine, but 2 is better. No DSP needed even when running aux/group fed subs. Just wish they would fix the damn handles on them.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Mal Brown

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »

I own 4 kw-181, 5 K12 and 2 K10...  subs and 3 k12's are rented out this weekend.  The stuff survives the rental use fine - every thing has the QSC bag...  sounds good out of the box.  They have the rep of sound not to

So hot at the limits - but... what does ?  I'm guessing that the DSP is going into extreme limiting so the speaker doesn't lunch...

QSC and 6 year warranty,  never needed it.  Nice to know it's there.

So... if I were buying tomorrow.  Kw181's and K12's is what I'd be buying.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Garris

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 03:24:44 PM »

Both the PRX and KW181 sub's are great for their intended use. I personally prefer having a matched system, so I would go with the JBL because I prefer their tops over the KW stuff. The DSR is a very good box - I use them for monitors and they are rock solid. I still prefer the sound of my PRX615's for the mains. YMMV

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 03:26:33 PM »

Been using DSR112's with PRX718xlf's for years and I consider it to be one of the best bar rigs for the money. I use a single sub in the smaller bars, turn it up a little and it fills the place.
I would also use KW181 - great sub for sound and robustness but I like the PRX subs because I find they fit into smaller places easier than the KW's due to the fact they are a little taller but smaller footprint.
Case in point, when i use my SRX subs (little wider than the KW but less deep), they don't fit as well on small stages or they stick out too far into the dance area. Large venues it won't matter.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
Best bang for buck/flexible Powered 12 + 18" powered sub
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 06:52:08 AM »

I have a DSR112/KW181 rig (2 of each) that I use for smaller stages. Even on larger outdoor stages where budget limits the size of the system brought in, they have filled the bill nicely. It's incredible how great it sounds, even without an external crossover. If you are worried about the "gap" in the built-in crossovers, run your subs from an aux, and you should be able to high pass the tops at 100Hz from the main bus on most digital consoles.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 06:54:15 AM by Andrew Henderson »

Joe Jordan

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »

[I just purchased a pair of RCF HD32A they are hard to beat for the price.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.