ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Best bang for buck/flexible Powered 12 + 18" powered sub  (Read 8879 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Best bang for buck/flexible Powered 12 + 18" powered sub
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 10:55:57 AM »

RE DSR112.
Be aware that they will drift in gain over time.
I freelance for a couple of rental companies that use these in multiples for distributed coverage, you have to walk the coverage area and trim the gains so they match up.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »

RE DSR112.
Be aware that they will drift in gain over time.
I freelance for a couple of rental companies that use these in multiples for distributed coverage, you have to walk the coverage area and trim the gains so they match up.

I have suspected this for some time.  Thanks for the info.  I have only 2, so it is harder to make the call on if this happens or not.

I am not sure if I am getting drift, or if the gains between boxes varies a tad (mine are about 5-10% different .... to my old ears ;) ).

To the OP.....

IMHO, the DSR112 is still class leading in output and sound quality.  To get better or more sound, you have to spend at least 2 times more.

I have been running my DSR112 over PRX618XLF system for about as long as the DSR and 618 have been out.  I have found that the running the tops in full range mode while using the cross-over built into the sub (90 Hz I believe), gives a very nice sounding system.

I have a neighbor that has the KW system (KW153 over KW181's) and we have had a chance to mix and match the speakers and give them our own personal ear test ;)

I give the nod to the KW153's when it comes to openness over the DSR112's, but that is hardly a fair comparison since we are talking about a 3 way 15" box vs a 2 way 12" box.  Still, when used with the sub, the system differences aren't that great to my ears.  I would never personally go for the 153's simply due to the size and weight, but they are a very nice sounding speaker.

The subs on the other hand I have a definite preference for the PRX's over the KW's.  The PRX's sound "tighter" to my ears.  Neither sub is a bad idea though.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »

I have the DRS 112 over the DXS 118 Yamaha subs. I have plenty of rig for the 250-300 capacity bars that a powered rig usually works in.  The subs do a fine job

Scott Bolt

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 07:35:53 PM »

I have the DRS 112 over the DXS 118 Yamaha subs. I have plenty of rig for the 250-300 capacity bars that a powered rig usually works in.  The subs do a fine job
Hey Kemper,

I have heard quite good things about the DXS 18 as well.  The rumor is that they sound as good as the JBL PRX's and hit harder.  I would have been heading out to the store for a pair except for the fact that they are 110 lbs vs my PRX's being only 81 lbs .... and I really don't NEED more bass ..... I just WANT more bass ;)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 01:03:48 AM »

So... I'm going to buck the trend a bit here and suggest that you consider the new JTR Captivator C212 Pro subwoofers, and pair them with DSR112 as tops.

I had a chance to mix a few world-renown jazz artists on the C212Pro/Noesis 3TX combo a few months ago, and was really blown away by how well the C212 Pro worked. It was an auditorium that sat 400-425, and two C212Pro were more than enough for the environment.

Based on that experience, I purchased four of the C212 Pro cabinets. They're active subs, measure 22x30x16 and weigh 70-pounds per cabinet. I can run a pair of them along with a DSR112 and 8 LED PAR lights on a single 15-amp circuit.

Their output is *insane*. One C212 Pro under a DSR112 per side will cover nearly any indoor venue with ease. I took four of the C212 Pros to a show this past weekend, and I only used two - and it was in a large venue that held 600 people... and it was a rock/classic rock/pop country show.

The real beauty of it all is how easy it is to load-in/set-up/load-out with this rig. As mentioned, the C212 Pro weigh 70-pounds and are easily carried by one person. The DSR112 weigh 45-pounds and are very maneuverable. They're both conservative with power needs, and they work really well together.

The C212 Pro will go to 39Hz at +/- 3db and will sustain 132-133dB all day long with no distress.

I'll admit that I hesitated to take these on gigs, but after using them indoors, outdoors, and at events small, medium, and large - I'm a believer. Very musical, very controllable, mind-blowing range and output, and extremely easy to move around. They are perfect.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »

The turbo IQ12....

I got one for the x-32 ultanet and powercon  passthough capabilities,
thinking what a clean monitor setup it could make.... hoping that it sounds decent and get's loud enough.

Been listening to it for about a week...... hey!  it sounds pretty darn good! and gets pretty dang loud.

It's close to the same size and weight as dsr112, with handles on the sides, and with straight and tilt pole sockets.
2 line/mic inputs, variable xover freq, settings for stand vs floor vs corner, a few other dsp features if any are of use...

Dunno how it might hold up against the dsr112 at volume...hope to have the two side by side this weekend to see.

@ $550 street, it's a contender even if you don't use the x-32 family stuff....especially considering the 10 yr warranty.
If you're using x-32, it's a great deal IMO.

Gary Weller

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 07:50:38 PM »

So... I'm going to buck the trend a bit here and suggest that you consider the new JTR Captivator C212 Pro subwoofers, and pair them with DSR112 as tops.

I had a chance to mix a few world-renown jazz artists on the C212Pro/Noesis 3TX combo a few months ago, and was really blown away by how well the C212 Pro worked. It was an auditorium that sat 400-425, and two C212Pro were more than enough for the environment.

Based on that experience, I purchased four of the C212 Pro cabinets. They're active subs, measure 22x30x16 and weigh 70-pounds per cabinet. I can run a pair of them along with a DSR112 and 8 LED PAR lights on a single 15-amp circuit.

Their output is *insane*. One C212 Pro under a DSR112 per side will cover nearly any indoor venue with ease. I took four of the C212 Pros to a show this past weekend, and I only used two - and it was in a large venue that held 600 people... and it was a rock/classic rock/pop country show.

The real beauty of it all is how easy it is to load-in/set-up/load-out with this rig. As mentioned, the C212 Pro weigh 70-pounds and are easily carried by one person. The DSR112 weigh 45-pounds and are very maneuverable. They're both conservative with power needs, and they work really well together.

The C212 Pro will go to 39Hz at +/- 3db and will sustain 132-133dB all day long with no distress.

I'll admit that I hesitated to take these on gigs, but after using them indoors, outdoors, and at events small, medium, and large - I'm a believer. Very musical, very controllable, mind-blowing range and output, and extremely easy to move around. They are perfect.

If price were no object, I'd be looking at the JTR's or Danley for sure. But I can get a great deal on the QSC KW's through a dealer friend, Just not a big fan of the QSC tops as mains with the exception of the 153.

Jay Marr

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »

The turbo IQ12....

I got one for the x-32 ultanet and powercon  passthough capabilities,
thinking what a clean monitor setup it could make.... hoping that it sounds decent and get's loud enough.

Been listening to it for about a week...... hey!  it sounds pretty darn good! and gets pretty dang loud.

It's close to the same size and weight as dsr112, with handles on the sides, and with straight and tilt pole sockets.
2 line/mic inputs, variable xover freq, settings for stand vs floor vs corner, a few other dsp features if any are of use...

Dunno how it might hold up against the dsr112 at volume...hope to have the two side by side this weekend to see.

@ $550 street, it's a contender even if you don't use the x-32 family stuff....especially considering the 10 yr warranty.
If you're using x-32, it's a great deal IMO.

I own a pair of these and very much agree.
I also have the DSRs.

My first choice would be DSRs (if you can afford it).
But if they are outside your budget, then the IQ12 would be next in the pecking order for me.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 05:38:37 PM »

What I don't see in this thread is mention of the SRX812.  Which was supposed to supersede the DSR as the 12" MI box to have.  No real desire to trade in my DSRs at this point short of getting into higher end territory like SM80s, JTR's or Peter Morris's DIY.
Just wondering why the buzz has died out after the initial splash.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 06:01:03 PM »

What I don't see in this thread is mention of the SRX812.  Which was supposed to supersede the DSR as the 12" MI box to have.  No real desire to trade in my DSRs at this point short of getting into higher end territory like SM80s, JTR's or Peter Morris's DIY.
Just wondering why the buzz has died out after the initial splash.

Stephen - I think as far as this thread is concerned it is because the OP said " Is the  DSR112 still king in it's range?".
As everyone here knows, I own both the DSR and the SRX.  Although I might consider the SRX's to be slightly better overall, because of the price difference, it makes the DSR's SO desirable and quite frankly it is such a close call on those 2 speakers, it's just not worth the extra IMHO.
I purchased my SRX812's used for a very good price so I don't regret the purchase but I might have done if I'd bought new.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 06:01:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.