ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How is your experience with the Shure SLX wireless mic system?  (Read 9644 times)

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
Re: How is your experience with the Shure SLX wireless mic system?
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »

I used lots of SLX years ago.  It was OKish.  I would not even consider it now. Much better stuff for the money out now.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 08:08:52 PM »

From what I've heard, the Shure SLX system utilizes similar internals to the old PGX series. In terms of pre-amps, companding circuits, etc. it's basically PGX with an LCD screen and a better featured receiver. Having used SLX systems, they sound fine - not great, though. It would most likely bottleneck your signal chain in terms of dynamic range.

If you can find it, a used ULX-S or ULX-P system might be around the same price as SLX and have much better components. Can't speak for the quality of PGX-D or BLX.

We have four channels of QLX-D, love it, paid for itself in 7 months and we are looking to buy more.  For less than $300 more a channel it's well worth it.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Aisle 6

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 08:13:12 PM »

I used to own 8 channels of SLX with antenna distros etc. They were OK. The RF performance was not a patch on the Sennheisers in a similar price bracket. Once you hit UR and ULX-D Shure definitely starts to shine but I find that most Shure RX below their range is pretty ordinary to rubbish.

Having said that, I have not tried the QLX-D and most people say that they are pretty good.

Peter Morris

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 05:28:49 AM »

I used to own 8 channels of SLX with antenna distros etc. They were OK. The RF performance was not a patch on the Sennheisers in a similar price bracket. Once you hit UR and ULX-D Shure definitely starts to shine but I find that most Shure RX below their range is pretty ordinary to rubbish.

Having said that, I have not tried the QLX-D and most people say that they are pretty good.

Have to agree, the SLX were OK at best ... and FWIW QLX-D  Vs ULX-D  "In terms of audio quality, reliability, and RF performance, as we said, they’re the same." (see link below)

http://blog.shure.com/5-things-to-know-about-qlx-d-digital-wireless/

Justin Joyner

• http://www.gravityny.com
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 07:11:56 AM »

Have to agree, the SLX were OK at best ... and FWIW QLX-D  Vs ULX-D  "In terms of audio quality, reliability, and RF performance, as we said, they’re the same." (see link below)

http://blog.shure.com/5-things-to-know-about-qlx-d-digital-wireless/

Thanks everyone!  It sounds like if I must go with Shure, I should really take a close look at the QLX-D series.

That being said...does anyone know if the capsules for those are interchangeable with the SLX/ULX series?  Telefunken makes no mention of the QLX-D series on their website for their capsules...

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »

AFAIK all modern Shure wireless uses the same capsule threads they have been for many years.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 01:58:56 PM »

I thouroughly dislike the audio quality of the SLX systems and would strongly urge you to go for QLX-D instead.

I find I spend the whole concert trying to EQ annoying stuff out of the mic, but the problem doesn't lie there.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 05:41:16 PM »

Though not specifically answering your question, you might look at the JTS R4 system.  I have only been using this system for a few months (its new), but it has been flawless and has all the pro features.  It is 4 channels of analog wireless in 1 rack space.  You would want to specify the JSS-4B hand held mics which accept all the Shure and compatible capsules.  The lower cost R-4THA mic does not have this feature and has a plastic body, so get the metal 4B.  I've been told that JTS manufacturers systems under contract for other extremely well known wireless manufacturers. 

The plastic bodies of the Shure SX system (and other brands with plastic bodies) have been very problematic for my customers.  They are not very rugged, but then my customers are not very careful with any gear they don't own personally!

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 06:17:02 PM »

Though not specifically answering your question, you might look at the JTS R4 system.  I have only been using this system for a few months (its new), but it has been flawless and has all the pro features.  It is 4 channels of analog wireless in 1 rack space.  You would want to specify the JSS-4B hand held mics which accept all the Shure and compatible capsules.  The lower cost R-4THA mic does not have this feature and has a plastic body, so get the metal 4B.  I've been told that JTS manufacturers systems under contract for other extremely well known wireless manufacturers. 

The plastic bodies of the Shure SX system (and other brands with plastic bodies) have been very problematic for my customers.  They are not very rugged, but then my customers are not very careful with any gear they don't own personally!
Isn't JTS that company that was ripping off Shure models a while back? That being said, the wireless stuff looks unique.
Where can you buy JTS wireless in NA?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Aisle 6

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 06:53:22 PM »

I have only used the JTS wired mic, IEM systems and budget wireless solutions and all were terrible. They would have to have really stepped up to be a consideration.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 06:53:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.