ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How is your experience with the Shure SLX wireless mic system?  (Read 9648 times)

Justin Joyner

• http://www.gravityny.com

I currently use a Line 6 V70 wireless mic system with a Telefunken M80 capsule. It's a really fantastic combination. However, with some much 2.4GHz traffic going on between wireless DMX and other digital wireless units in my band, it has been experiencing some drop outs.

Because of this, I'm considering going back to a non-digital wireless mic system. I'd go right to a Sennheiser system in a heartbeat, except I'm a huge fan of the Telefunken M80 and want to use that wirelessly. Unfortunately, Telefunken only makes the capsule for Shure systems, so I'd have to go with Shure.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Shure SLX system. How does it work out for you? And is anyone using the Shure SLX/M80 capsule combination out there?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:44:25 AM by Justin Joyner »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: How is your experience with the Shure SLX wireless mic system?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 11:44:29 AM »

I currently use a Line 6 V70 wireless mic system with a Telefunken M80 capsule. It's a really fantastic combination. However, with some much 2.4GHz traffic going on between wireless DMX and other wireless units in my band, it has been experiencing some drop outs.

Because of this, I'm considering going back to a non-digital wireless mic system. I'd go right to a Sennheiser system in a heartbeat, except I'm a huge fan of the Telefunken M80 and want to use that wirelessly. Unfortunately, Telefunken only makes the capsule for Shure systems, so I'd have to go with Shure.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Shure SLX system. How does it work out for you? And is anyone using the Shure SLX/M80 capsule combination out there?

Our singer uses the Shure SLX system (with Shure mic capsule) which she loves and has caused us no problems. I have 3 BLX systems myself - one of which I use every show with a Shure headset mic and they have been great too.  No experience with SLX/M80 combination but the SLX/BLX system has been very reliable for me.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 12:08:49 PM »

My normal wireless units are all Senn G2 series but I also have and use a BLX ( and it's predecessor ) for the last +2 years in rooms with high 2.5G usage without incident.  It's now been relegated to "Announcer" or "Boardroom Speaker" type engagement so I don't use it often.  I would imagine the SLX would follow a similar path of the BLX.  Are you getting good LOS?  Perhaps raising it a bit using a mic or speaker stand would help.

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Christian Ekren

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 12:58:08 PM »

From what I've heard, the Shure SLX system utilizes similar internals to the old PGX series. In terms of pre-amps, companding circuits, etc. it's basically PGX with an LCD screen and a better featured receiver. Having used SLX systems, they sound fine - not great, though. It would most likely bottleneck your signal chain in terms of dynamic range.

If you can find it, a used ULX-S or ULX-P system might be around the same price as SLX and have much better components. Can't speak for the quality of PGX-D or BLX.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 01:01:33 PM »

Sennheiser makes a plug-on transmitter which will covert your mic to wireless.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Christian Ekren

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 01:54:25 PM »

Sennheiser makes a plug-on transmitter which will covert your mic to wireless.

I believe the OP only has a Telefunken M80 capsule - not the full, wired microphone.

Thomas Le

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 02:07:33 PM »

How about QLX-D? The Shure Analog (PG/PGX/BLX/SLX/ULX-S/ULX-P) is outdated and overpriced for what they do now. Sennheiser EW walks all over this and then some. I haven't tried the hybrid digilogue QLX-D, ULX-D or AXIENT but everyone around here likes them. Wished I waited for QLX-D myself but I'm pretty content with EW100.

David Simpson

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 02:08:38 PM »

1 have had 16 SLX wireless systems for many years now. I use a combination of SM58, Beta 87, and Heil heads on my handheld transmitters (depending on the task at hand). They work great for the price point. I have found them to be durable, and good sounding. I have put them in several installs, and have only received positive feedback from the end users.

~Dave

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »

How about QLX-D? The Shure Analog (PG/PGX/BLX/SLX/ULX-S/ULX-P) is outdated and overpriced for what they do now. Sennheiser EW walks all over this and then some. I haven't tried the hybrid digilogue QLX-D, ULX-D or AXIENT but everyone around here likes them. Wished I waited for QLX-D myself but I'm pretty content with EW100.

On the flip side to this.....
I have had nothing but problems from 2 different Sennheiser EW mic  systems - the only Senny systems I have used in recent years.... drop -out, high pitched RF squealing when mic muted, high background noise etc... and this coming from a Sennheiser fan owning 4 iem systems, 3 pairs of headphones  and corded mics from Sennheiser. So as usual YMMV...

In addition - hubby plays in 2 bands- one singer uses the SLX and the other uses the EW.....one makes my job easy and the other ... well...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 04:29:11 PM »

I can't stand SLX stuff. Sounds terrible to me and the plastic bodies break very easily. The sound you don't really notice until you use a "nicer" or at least a more modern wireless system, but once you notice it you'll wonder why you ever thought SLX was passable.

We (begrudgingly) still have a couple in rental stock and I very much look forward to replacing them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 04:29:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.