ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser EW100 G3 Mics Losing Signal  (Read 8888 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Sennheiser EW100 G3 Mics Losing Signal
« on: October 19, 2017, 06:16:02 PM »

Hi All,

I have a kit of Sennheiser EW100 G3 mics that have served me well over the past 2 years.  Lately, the signal strength hasn't been what it usually is.  The system is specifically as follows:

4x Handhelds or Beltpack (EW100 G3) transmits into 2x A 2003-UHF Antennas attached to an ASA1 and into the 4 receivers. 

Usually the signal meters are at full anywhere within 50ft or so of the antennas and slowly starts to decrease the further out you go.  I can almost always get about 200ft line of site transmission without issue (though I don't rely on use at that distance).  Lately the signal is never reading "full" and anything beyond 50ft gets low enough where I worry about having a dropout.  What would cause this sort of problem and how do I fix it?  Doing a bit of troubleshooting, the problem does not appear to me mic or receiver specific.  Unplugging the antennas do show an additional drop on signal strength as expected.  Could the problem be COAX going bad?  I have a Sennheiser BB25 between each antenna and the ASA1.  All Sennheiser parts and no substitutes.  The first time this happened (2 weeks ago) I just thought it was an unusually humid day, but not seeing any improvement over the next week I think something else might be going on.  Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Jeff

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Sennheiser EW100 G3 Mics Losing Signal
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:28:40 PM »

Hi All,

I have a kit of Sennheiser EW100 G3 mics that have served me well over the past 2 years.  Lately, the signal strength hasn't been what it usually is.  The system is specifically as follows:

4x Handhelds or Beltpack (EW100 G3) transmits into 2x A 2003-UHF Antennas attached to an ASA1 and into the 4 receivers. 

Usually the signal meters are at full anywhere within 50ft or so of the antennas and slowly starts to decrease the further out you go.  I can almost always get about 200ft line of site transmission without issue (though I don't rely on use at that distance).  Lately the signal is never reading "full" and anything beyond 50ft gets low enough where I worry about having a dropout.  What would cause this sort of problem and how do I fix it?  Doing a bit of troubleshooting, the problem does not appear to me mic or receiver specific.  Unplugging the antennas do show an additional drop on signal strength as expected.  Could the problem be COAX going bad?  I have a Sennheiser BB25 between each antenna and the ASA1.  All Sennheiser parts and no substitutes.  The first time this happened (2 weeks ago) I just thought it was an unusually humid day, but not seeing any improvement over the next week I think something else might be going on.  Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Jeff

Are these installed at one location?  If so I would think a change in the noise floor due to a new emission source.  Do you have the ability to do an RF scan?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 06:41:06 PM »

Are these installed at one location?  If so I would think a change in the noise floor due to a new emission source.  Do you have the ability to do an RF scan?

Thanks Scott.  No, I'm mobile, and this symptom was seen at two different venues about 150 miles apart.  The receivers and ASA1 are all in the same rack if that's what you meant though.  I don't have the ability to do an RF scan but I do always use the built-in feature on the receivers to pick the best channels. 

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 06:58:28 PM »

Could the problem be COAX going bad?  I have a Sennheiser BB25 between each antenna and the ASA1.  All Sennheiser parts and no substitutes.

Cable would be my first guess, and the thing I changed before attempting any other troubleshooting. While cables can last a long time if cared for properly they are not durable goods, they are expendables.

I don't know what cable is in the BB25, but I would try replacing them, and possibly replacing the jumpers in your rack between the ASA1 and the receivers.

Mac

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:03:01 PM »

Cable would be my first guess, and the thing I changed before attempting any other troubleshooting. While cables can last a long time if cared for properly they are not durable goods, they are expendables.

I don't know what cable is in the BB25, but I would try replacing them, and possibly replacing the jumpers in your rack between the ASA1 and the receivers.

Mac

Thanks Mac.  Do you have a recommendation on cables that work well?  I'll definitely give that a try!  I should be able to pull the rack from service in another week or so to try some more involved troubleshooting, but just wanted to know where to start!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 12:52:18 AM »

Try bypassing the ASA1 and taking the antennas straight to a receiver to see what you get.
Set the transmitter out a distance from the receivers, note the RF level then bypass the ASA1 and see what the level does.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 01:29:06 AM »

Thanks Scott.  No, I'm mobile, and this symptom was seen at two different venues about 150 miles apart.  The receivers and ASA1 are all in the same rack if that's what you meant though.  I don't have the ability to do an RF scan but I do always use the built-in feature on the receivers to pick the best channels.

No I was just trying to determine if this was an installed system.  Since the problem is at multiple venues it is more than likely in the rig.  The multicoupler itself could be generating noise or a cable could be oxidized or mechanically damaged.

Taking the multicoupler out is the first step.  Actually try just turning it off (if it powers the units like the Shure does you will have to connect the power brick back to the unit(s).

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Xiang Cao

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 04:09:37 AM »

I had similar issue with just one single receiver in a 8xew100 rack, it seems to be cable.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 01:11:12 AM »

Thanks guys.  I'll try bypassing the ASA1 and seeing what happens.  I might be able to sneak in a quick test this week, otherwise it'll have to wait until next.  Is there a preferred coax product to use for such applications?  I just used the 1ft cables that come with the ASA1 for the internal hookup, the super-expensive for what they are AM2 to get out of the rack, and the aforementioned Sennheiser 25ft coax to get to my paddle antennas.  I admitted don't know what's "good" in the world of coax!  Also, thinking of possible oxidation on the connectors, is there a way to clean them?  I don't mind replacing cables, but knowing they only account for half the connections I really don't want to replace the antennas or receivers just because a connector went bad.  Thanks!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 06:59:40 PM »

So I had the chance to pull my wireless mic rack from service today and do a bit of quick testing.  It definitely seems that the 25ft coax cables are the problem.  I first played around with reception using no antennas just to see what kind of signal strength I could get.  I then added the paddle antennas - signal increased a bit but it was weak just like when I noticed the original problem.  Covering the mic's antenna and putting myself then between the mic and the antenna 10ft away was enough to cause a drop-out.  I then swapped the paddles out for the rubber duck antennas that come with each receiver kit and the signal popped right back up to full strength.  Covering the mic's antenna and putting both myself and the rack in the signal path barely even caused a blip on the meter.  So it looks like I'll be swapping those cables out right away, and while I'm at it I'll replace the internal cables too.

After searching around, is LMR400 Ultraflex still the best choice?  Is there a safe way to clean the BNC connectors on the receivers and splitter too while I'm in there?

Thanks!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 06:59:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.