ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 70v 3 way switch  (Read 2980 times)

Bradford "BJ" James

70v 3 way switch
« on: October 19, 2017, 03:33:23 PM »

I'm troubleshooting an installed 70v system. They have 3 zones, each zone having between 60 and 90watts of ceiling speakers. All of this is being run from a single 100w amp.
I have to a little re-running of cable in there, and I would like to install a simple 3way switch so that only one zone at a time is on. Currently they have 3 separate on/off switches, but often more than one zone gets left on at a time.
Any suggestions on a switch that would work for this?
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: 70v 3 way switch
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:53:03 PM »

I'm troubleshooting an installed 70v system. They have 3 zones, each zone having between 60 and 90watts of ceiling speakers. All of this is being run from a single 100w amp.
I have to a little re-running of cable in there, and I would like to install a simple 3way switch so that only one zone at a time is on. Currently they have 3 separate on/off switches, but often more than one zone gets left on at a time.
Any suggestions on a switch that would work for this?

Do you want to limit it to one zone at a time because that is what the venue needs, no sound in other venues while 1 is operational, or is it to not overload the amp?

If it is to no overload the amp, add 2 more 100W 70V amps.

Mac

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 03:58:40 PM »

Hey Mac,
It's a bit of both. I need a cheap semi-temporary solution as this amp is on it's last legs, but it won't be replaced till it's dead. At that point I'll suggest a multi zone unit, until then a switch will suffice.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:38:33 PM by Bradford "BJ" James »
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 08:05:36 PM »

Hey Mac,
It's a bit of both. I need a cheap semi-temporary solution as this amp is on it's last legs, but it won't be replaced till it's dead. At that point I'll suggest a multi zone unit, until then a switch will suffice.

A simple 2 pole three position non-shorting rotary switch in a wall plate or little box will do it. If that's all you need to do then I wouldn't even bother with a multi-zone amp. Here's one from Lowell that has 6 positions and a volume control-

https://www.lowellmfg.com/product/cs650-ss-program-selector-switch-with-volume-control-copy/

-Hal

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 11:00:12 PM »

Thanks Hal.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 02:33:10 AM »

Hey Mac,

Sounds like if you do nothing you'll be able to replace the amp sooner.  ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 02:33:10 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.