Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Yamaha 01v96 help

(1/2) > >>

Kev Parker:
Hi All,

I have an auto feedback destroyer that I attempted to use on my last gig.  Followed the instructions and it didn't matter how much I turned up the volume I got no f/b.  Great you say...thats till i remembered I have all my mics gated on my 01v96!! 

So instead of having to manually go through all my mic channels (6 drums, 3 vox and 2 guitars) disabling the gate on each before running the AFS wizard I was wondering if this could be assigned to an user key I.e so I press the key once to disable all gates and again to re-enable?

If possible, how would I go about that?

Thanks for reading!

Kevin

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Kev Parker on October 18, 2017, 04:12:22 PM ---Hi All,

I have an auto feedback destroyer that I attempted to use on my last gig.  Followed the instructions and it didn't matter how much I turned up the volume I got no f/b.  Great you say...thats till i remembered I have all my mics gated on my 01v96!! 

So instead of having to manually go through all my mic channels (6 drums, 3 vox and 2 guitars) disabling the gate on each before running the AFS wizard I was wondering if this could be assigned to an user key I.e so I press the key once to disable all gates and again to re-enable?

If possible, how would I go about that?

Thanks for reading!

Kevin

--- End quote ---

It's been a few years but I don't recall any way to *globally* enable/disable dynamics on inputs.

That you need some kind of feedback suppressor suggests there are issues in system setup and speaker placement, or perhaps operational issues like gain staging.

Kev Parker:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on October 18, 2017, 04:18:33 PM ---It's been a few years but I don't recall any way to *globally* enable/disable dynamics on inputs.

That you need some kind of feedback suppressor suggests there are issues in system setup and speaker placement, or perhaps operational issues like gain staging.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the quick reply....

As a general rule I get very little f/b but we don't have an engineer at gigs which means that on the odd occasion we do it's difficult to deal with.  My other problem is that our singer spends more time off stage than on...usually right in front of speakers!!

If it can't be done then so be It!!

Thank you

Riley Casey:
No thats not an option on the 01V.  Generally speaking automatic filters of any kind are pretty terrible things beyond the most basic speech only systems.  Gating mics on anything but very percussive drum channels are generally not recommended as well.   Tune the system for the best rejection of feedback. The old standby technique is to put a what ever mic is the most prone to feedback, usually a vocal, in its likely location, turn up the PA til it feeds back and then back off slightly.  Insert a compressor in the chain set to a ten to one ratio and dial the threshold down til it 'clamps' the mic gain at the feedback level.  This will cause the PA to 'sing' at the first frequency of feedback but not run away.  Go to the graphic EQ for that mix and find the slider that has the most effect at that frequency and turn it down 6 db.  Now increase the gain of the PA and until that frequency or another takes off and gets clamped by the limiter.  Find that frequency and turn it down.  Rinse and repeat until no more than a third of the slider have been moved.  Do this individually for each zone of the PA, mains, monitor mixes etc.  Now turn off the limiter and test.  If it still feeds back before you can achieve the desired level its time to redesign your PA or otherwise rethink how you're using it.

--- Quote from: Kev Parker on October 18, 2017, 04:12:22 PM ---Hi All,

I have an auto feedback destroyer...

--- End quote ---

Tom Bourke:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on October 18, 2017, 04:18:33 PM ---That you need some kind of feedback suppressor suggests there are issues in system setup and speaker placement, or perhaps operational issues like gain staging.

--- End quote ---
This.  Take the feedback suppressor out of the signal chain.  Then figure out what's causing the feedback.

If it's the singer standing in front of the speakers then you have to fix that problem.  Maybe try sarcasm and ridicule ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version