ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey SP 5 or Carvin TR1502???  (Read 6321 times)

Tim Bulin

Re: Peavey SP 5 or Carvin TR1502???
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 09:57:46 PM »

You guys make some really good points.  As far as powered speakers go, IF I was still just running a karaoke show like I did when I got started, they would be perfect.  Now that I'm doing mostly DJ work, I'm finding that if I present a certain look, I get more business.  I could do 95% of my shows with a pair of DM112s and a single DM118, and it would sound really good.  Unfortunately, most of my customers want to see those 15s sitting on top of the subs...bigger footprint, more of a "whoa" factor I guess. 

Maybe I'm just paranoid about it, but, I lost a big show last summer to a guy with a truckload of SA and Rockville speakers(and it did not sound good).  .

I try to use at least decent equipment, I don't pirate any music, and try to keep everything on the level as possible.  Makes it tough to make anything at this sometimes.

David Allred

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 08:10:29 AM »

Unfortunately, most of my customers want to see those 15s sitting on top of the subs...bigger footprint, more of a "whoa" factor I guess. 

who is your market?  College frats?

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 10:12:41 AM »

I could do 95% of my shows with a pair of DM112s and a single DM118, and it would sound really good.
Then that is what you buy gear for. 

Unfortunately, most of my customers want to see those 15s sitting on top of the subs...bigger footprint, more of a "whoa" factor I guess.
No they don't, if you actually polled people most wouln't care and from those that do have an opinion there would be as many that say smaller or invisible speakers would be better.

Maybe I'm just paranoid about it, but, I lost a big show last summer to a guy with a truckload of SA and Rockville speakers(and it did not sound good).
Yes you are being paranoid of change, and guess what you will probably get that event back next summer.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 04:19:29 PM »

Then that is what you buy gear for. 
 No they don't, if you actually polled people most wouln't care and from those that do have an opinion there would be as many that say smaller or invisible speakers would be better.
 Yes you are being paranoid of change, and guess what you will probably get that event back next summer.

Examples have been posted here on the PSW forums over the years that certain people actually do listen with their eyes.  I've experienced the mindset from hiring authorities.  If it looks impressive, it must sound impressive.

Tim Bulin

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 09:31:38 PM »

The SP2 lists as 55 lbs.  SP5 (T,G,X,XL) all list as approx. 70 lbs.
The SP2 is about 4.4 cu ft.  The SP5 is about 5.5 cu ft.
I couldn't find an SP5 after a '03 copyright.

Am I missing something that you maybe left out?

Thanks for the heads up, just read the specs on the new SP2's, they are 30 pounds lighter than my 2014 BX's...think I'll try a pair of the new ones, I can tote the big ones around a little longer and get them for myself for Christmas...of course if I do I'll have to buy something nice for the wife.

David Allred

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 07:43:10 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, just read the specs on the new SP2's, they are 30 pounds lighter than my 2014 BX's...I'll have to buy something nice for the wife.

Mine or yours? ;)

Tim Bulin

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 04:36:02 PM »

Tim,
Only two (2) things. Don't buy speakers made by a company going out of business (Carvin). And #2, get rid of the BBE sonic crapinizer. You can replace it with a decent (dbx) EQ and produce far better sound. You've put together a very low budget system, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as it does the job. Just remember that every little piece makes a difference.

Picked up a lightly used Rane ME 15s this week, you were right, does sound better than the BBE 882.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 05:37:37 PM »

Picked up a lightly used Rane ME 15s this week, you were right, does sound better than the BBE 882.

Tim, speaking from hands on experience with a multitude of Carvin cabs over the years, I have to say they are decent, not great, but decent. I never cared for the mid range frequencies of my old TRX153, TRX215, TRX12n and always had to play with my EQ'ing from 1k to 3.2k no matter where I was. It's very harsh.

I know you wanted to stay with passive system, but Look into EX ZLX12p for smaller venues, I have 8 of these that I use for different venues on with er FOH or wedges if I'm not utilizing my larger gear. Fairly priced, good sound and they get pretty loud without distortion.
my .2 cents.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Tim Bulin

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 06:42:06 PM »

Tim, speaking from hands on experience with a multitude of Carvin cabs over the years, I have to say they are decent, not great, but decent. I never cared for the mid range frequencies of my old TRX153, TRX215, TRX12n and always had to play with my EQ'ing from 1k to 3.2k no matter where I was. It's very harsh.

I know you wanted to stay with passive system, but Look into EX ZLX12p for smaller venues, I have 8 of these that I use for different venues on with er FOH or wedges if I'm not utilizing my larger gear. Fairly priced, good sound and they get pretty loud without distortion.
my .2 cents.

Thank you, that is why I started this thread in the first place  :)

Carvin isn't very common in my area and I was considering ordering a pair of TR1502's used from Guitar Center for $300, also had a pair of SP5's available locally for $400(they already sold though).

Tim Bulin

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 10:48:54 PM »

Thanks for the heads up, just read the specs on the new SP2's, they are 30 pounds lighter than my 2014 BX's...think I'll try a pair of the new ones, I can tote the big ones around a little longer and get them for myself for Christmas...of course if I do I'll have to buy something nice for the wife.

After finding out that the new SP2's are made in China, I've decided to run my current speakers for a while longer.  I will check out the Yamaha S112V's, maybe that's what Santa Claus will bring me this year...Replacing my EP2500 with a used PLX2402, thinking it will be a nice upgrade.  I'll keep the 2500 for a back up.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 10:48:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.