ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixers with "On" instead of "Mute." Exclusive to Yamaha?  (Read 15252 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Mixers with "On" instead of "Mute." Exclusive to Yamaha?
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »

I think it was the earlier Mix Wizards that
were channel on light on with a green LED

Yup.  I remember that as being when A&H did it 'right' [i'm a long time Yamaha guy]...  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 11:16:32 AM »

Yup.  I remember that as being when A&H did it 'right' [i'm a long time Yamaha guy]...  :)

I might be the odd guy out, but I've always found it more intuitive to think: Red=Stop/Off/No. I grew up using mostly Midas and Soundcraft stuff that used "Mute" buttons so the first few times I wound up behind a Yamaha console the "On" buttons had me pulling my hair out.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 11:25:38 AM »

Nope, on is off and off is on is not a good basis for user interface design.  I "grew up" on Soundcrafts too and those all had Channel On buttons with green LEDs.  Of course I'm talking about the old 400 and 800 consoles in the early 80s.

I might be the odd guy out, but I've always found it more intuitive to think: Red=Stop/Off/No. I grew up using mostly Midas and Soundcraft stuff that used "Mute" buttons so the first few times I wound up behind a Yamaha console the "On" buttons had me pulling my hair out.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »

Not that one way is right or better; we are creatures of habit.  Channel on vs channel mute will cause errors when switching back and forth.  And the first time in front of a "backwards" mixer is truly a nightmare, especially for a Lounger.  All in what one is used to.  I don't think I'd like the orange vs red described above - definitely not enough difference, IMO.

frank

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 12:05:42 PM »

I suspect the RED=ON convention predates inexpensive green LEDs.... when LEDs first came out you could get any color you want as long as it was red.

It probably depends on what you learned on...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 02:03:17 PM »

I suspect the RED=ON convention predates inexpensive green LEDs.... when LEDs first came out you could get any color you want as long as it was red.

It probably depends on what you learned on...

JR

It totally does.

But It's funny how little things like this can breed long held habits....

I stopped using Channel On/Off/Mute/Whatever buttons a long time ago in favor of fader moves.  Of course there was more driving that than just different Channel button conventions, not the least of which was my desire to smooth out changes from one volume [Off] to the other [On].  And granted i was rarely dealing with a situation where Aux sends needed to be Pre-Fader.

But whatever the reason, i basically do everything with fader moves now which means that fader down means No Sound and fader up means Yes Sound.  About as intuitive as it can get.

[Unless i've got DCAs engaged...  but i digress....]
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 02:38:10 PM »

Worst situation I had was back when the original o1V was a current console.  Friend and I did a music festival where we needed the channel count of my 32ch Soundcraft and the processing capabilities of his o1V side by side at FOH.  My console had mute's and mute groups and his had ON buttons.  He could not switch between the consoles.  To this day we still joke about mute groups.

Then there is Mackie's mute is not really mute.  That burned one of my co-workers yesterday.  All of a sudden we had music and noise at louder than full volume!  He had the overhead speakers on an aux that was set prefade.  It surprised the hell out of him that prefade auxes did not get muted.  He kept saying "But I had the CH muted!"
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 03:08:24 AM »

Then there is Mackie's mute is not really mute.

And Behringer also has a mute which is not really mute.

I have one of their current Xenyx mixers, the X2222 (which I actually rate quite highly for what it is).

Mute on this mutes the send to left and right but not to the monitor sends.  Once the warranty has expired (or possibly sooner) I am going to correct this.

Steve.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

And Behringer also has a mute which is not really mute.

I have one of their current Xenyx mixers, the X2222 (which I actually rate quite highly for what it is).

Mute on this mutes the send to left and right but not to the monitor sends.  Once the warranty has expired (or possibly sooner) I am going to correct this.

Steve.

The Mackie 1604 was like this. Handy for dialing in monitors without putting it in the House.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 01:06:24 PM »

I'm looking for a mixer with "On" instead of "Mute." I've only seen this on Yamaha mixers but I would like to find something cheaper if possible. Did Yamaha pioneer this reversal of the standard? It would seem that they were brave, but I really like it.

Sounds like a 'first world' problem.  There are kids going to bed without consoles and you're having issues with mute v. on?

/satire
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 01:06:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.