ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a referral - Sound reduction (exterior sound bleed)  (Read 8648 times)

Josh Billings

Re: Looking for a referral - Sound reduction (exterior sound bleed)
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 06:46:30 AM »

Hey everyone,

I've got one idea I wanted to run by you. I know the venue isn't excited about redoing their interior walls. A lot of sound is coming out of the ceiling and I had an idea of covering the roof with mass loaded vinyl? Do you think that would help? If so, how much? Trying to help them come up with a financially viable solution here.

Josh

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 07:40:51 AM »

Hey everyone,

I've got one idea I wanted to run by you. I know the venue isn't excited about redoing their interior walls. A lot of sound is coming out of the ceiling and I had an idea of covering the roof with mass loaded vinyl? Do you think that would help? If so, how much? Trying to help them come up with a financially viable solution here.

Josh
Anything will help.  But how much is the real question.

I doubt you will get  guarantee of any performance from free advice on the internet.

A saying I like to use a lot is, I can tell people that I can go pee in the local lake and raise the level.  Is this true-YES,  Is it measurable-YES, does it matter or does anybody notice-NO.

We can chase all sorts of "unimportant" things all day long, but the ones we should be chasing are the ones that people actually notice.

One thing to consider when adding weight to a ceiling, is whether or not the ceiling can support that added weight.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Simon Lewis

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »

.... I had an idea of covering the roof with mass loaded vinyl? Do you think that would help? If so, how much?

This is where the acoustic consultant earns his or her fee... We could make a 'back of a fag packet' calculation on the amount of noise reduction mass loaded vinyl would achieve, only to find that flanking transmission or direct air paths was negating any reduction the added mass had provided...

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 11:10:48 AM »

With the added mass, was this safe to do and approved by Structural engineer?  The added mass may be more weight than the structure can hold.  Don't forget to include the weight from any snow build up on the roof.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 11:10:48 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.