ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a referral - Sound reduction (exterior sound bleed)  (Read 8637 times)

Josh Billings

Looking for a referral - Sound reduction (exterior sound bleed)
« on: October 17, 2017, 03:12:11 AM »

My buddy has a venue and has neighbors that are getting a little fussy with the subwoofer kick thumping. I'm looking for someone in the Southern California area that can help consult with them on what needs to be done to get their exterior sound bleed under control.

Was considering suggesting a cardiod sub array, but not sure if that will really help.

Hit me up via PM or feel free to reply on here

Josh Billings

MikeHarris

Re: Looking for a referral - Sound reduction (exterior sound bleed)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 03:41:26 AM »

I'm not in SoCal but the first step is usually isolating the subs from the physical structure.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 12:21:01 PM »

My buddy has a venue and has neighbors that are getting a little fussy with the subwoofer kick thumping. I'm looking for someone in the Southern California area that can help consult with them on what needs to be done to get their exterior sound bleed under control.

Was considering suggesting a cardiod sub array, but not sure if that will really help.

Josh Billings
I've got 3 clients in that part of the country with the same problem.
-They keep building high density apts/condos up against clubs that have been there for decades in what used to be commercial zoned areas.

Cardiod does nothing.  Basically (as far as LF is concerned) the building just re-radiates the contained sound with it's own dispersion and coverage characteristics

Another thing that people forget when treating a place is that typical flat roofs (in regions that don't need insulation) let most of the sound through. 
Discovered this with clients that have solid masonry & concrete buildings with all doors and windows sealed and barely any difference in exterior measurements when compared to a place with an unused 2nd floor.

Also discovered that among expensive "acousticians" there seems to many that can make an interior sound great, but know nothing of stopping that sound from leaving the building!

One client had to make the choice between his liquor license or basically anything below 120Hz! -he unplugged subs and all problems vanished (-to the dismay of his DJ's of course)

Funny how nobody complains about all the loud motorcycles that roar up that street constantly -that you really notice now that the music isn't loud enough inside to drown them out!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 06:04:36 PM »

Supersoundproofing.org.. Randy Seig.. They are in San Diego I believe..

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:31:45 PM »

There are 2 basic ways to stop sound transmission.

Thick limp mass and air tight seals.

That does more than anything
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Josh Billings

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:50:18 PM »

There are 2 basic ways to stop sound transmission.

Thick limp mass and air tight seals.

That does more than anything

I feel like I'm setting up a good "That's what she said" but what are some good examples of thick limp mass?

Josh

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »

I feel like I'm setting up a good "That's what she said" but what are some good examples of thick limp mass?

Josh
6' thick lead walls.

But that is often hard to achieve.

A good example of how to reduce sound transmission is this simple idea.
MASS-airspace-MASS.

So 2 walls that are NOT connected together, but have an airspace between them

Ideally each wall is double thick sheetrock on ONE side-NOT both sides (of each wall).

The sheetrock is on the outer sides of the walls.  So if you are standing in the airspace (it does not need to be large enough to stand in-6 to 12" is usually fine) you would be looking at the studs and backside of the sheetrock.

Steel studs are better for stopping sound transmission.  Wood studs are better for making the room sound better.  So maybe steel on the outside and wood on the inside.

Also stagger the studs so they do not line up with each other.  That way the flexible part of one wall is opposite the rigid part of the other.

Some LOOSE fiberglass is not a bad idea.  You DO NOT want to pack it in.

Be sure to tape all joints (on each layer).

Each wall needs to stand on its own.

Use double doors (with 6 feet or so between them) and make sure they are HEAVY SOLID doors with firm tight seals.

Seal up all mechanical exits in the building.  Gas line, electrical, AC entrances etc.

Seal up all wall outlets to prevent air leaks from getting through them.
Acoustical caulk is best-due to the flexibility over time.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:15:13 PM by Ivan Beaver »
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »

Here's a DIY 'book'.

SoundProofing Secrets
By Craig Williams at SoundProofingSecrets.com
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Robert Healey

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »

Josh Billings

http://ncac.com/resources/directory/

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 07:17:10 PM »

Rigidity and mass (and I'm not talking about religion or sex).

Rigidity because you don't want the walls or ceiling/roof to be a big diaphragm, mass because it takes more energy to make it move.

Once you've made a tight, non-diaphragmatic box we then screw it all up with penetrations through the walls, roofs and floors that must be sealed.  Think of vestibules as a way of sealing...

To borrow Dave Steven's "Anvil of Reality" there is likely little that can be done if the residential neighbors have money and political clout and really, really want the club out of business.  The situation improves if the neighbors are realistic and not out to close the place, but remediation that provides significant, demonstrable reduction in sound transmission will probably be financially impossible for the club.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 07:17:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.