ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HF driver protection for Peavey Impulse 12D  (Read 19403 times)

Steve Loewenthal

HF driver protection for Peavey Impulse 12D
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »

Is there something I can do to my system to protect me from myself that is not too expensive and won't drastically alter the sound quality?

I use a pair of Peavey Impulse 12D that are my regular gig speakers.
I am very satisfied with the sound quality, output, and weight of these speakers.
Since purchasing them in 2011 I have blown the HF driver in 1 or both 4 times. (Most recent yesterday.)
For 3 of these events I can correlate the blown driver to my own stupidity by either plugging something into the system without muting the channel or speaker, or causing feedback by some other stupid behavior.

I know that my speakers should be the last thing turned on and first thing turned off, and muted or turned off if anything needs to be plugged in or unplugged.
Regardless of such knowledge, I still seem to cause a pop or other undesired sound event much too often and attempts to modify my behavior are so far unsuccessful.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: HF driver protection for Peavey Impulse 12D
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 01:12:28 PM »

the 12D was after my time, but generally HF drivers (in this case a ribbon) are not killed by turn on transients or dropped mics, most often it's from playing prolonged HF content. The powered speaker even uses DDT (clip limiter) so you shouldn't blow it by just clipping it.

Work a little harder on modifying your behavior. Peavey generally builds robust products, while the ribbon HF section is recent (designed for the versarray?). I suspect they have some kind of active protection built into the electronics (WAG based the amount of processing in there).

Have you talked to peavey service in meridian for advice?

JR

[edit] a de-esser is a HF specific limiter, but I have never seen one used for HF driver protection [/edit]
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 01:14:12 PM »

This is a self powered box so I don't think there is much you can do that won't alter sound quality. What you are trying to fix is a design flaw really so your best move would be to repair them and then trade up to something more robust, I have a bunch of EV and Yamaha powered boxes that have no problem handling the occasional thump from user error or some feedback.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »

I was strongly considering the 12D when I purchased my speakers (DSR112).  When I listened to them side by side, they were both quite good (both were better than the PRX FWIW).

The 12D unfortunately has been known to blow HF drivers.  I also agree that this is a design flaw and there is little you can do to prevent it.

My DSR112's have been abused beyond what anyone should expect the speakers to handle without damage and have survived for 7 years now.

My honest advice would be to sell the 12D's and get a pair of DSR112's to replace them.  I would be very surprised if you ever blew a driver again.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 08:00:36 PM »

The 12D unfortunately has been known to blow HF drivers.  I also agree that this is a design flaw and there is little you can do to prevent it.
I agree that there is a design flaw. I've never blown the HF driver in my Mackie (RCF made) SRM 450's which are over 20 years old and are my regular gig monitors. (Mains before they were monitor duty.) My QSC HPR115i speakers also have never blown the HF, but I don't use them much. (Too heavy)
most often it's from playing prolonged HF content. 
Work a little harder on modifying your behavior.
We are a relatively quiet rock and roll band. I do not even come close to pushing my speakers too hard.
As to the behavior, don't really know how to go about that. ):
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 08:30:25 PM »

a de-esser is a HF specific limiter, but I have never seen one used for HF driver protection
I'll investigate that. I'm hoping/guessing there is a de-esser built into the x32 compact.
Steve Loewenthal

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 09:39:26 PM »

I'll investigate that. I'm hoping/guessing there is a de-esser built into the x32 compact.
A de-esser is a frequency dependent compressor that reduces sibilance, 5-10kHz "ess" sounds. The problem with the Impulse 12D is the tweeter can't take the full 150 watt peak available to it at the 2kHz crossover point. You could use an outboard side-chain limiter with 2kHz centered as the reduction point, which would help with feedback problems, but won't help if pulling the plug takes the tweeters out- it's a give away when the manual mentions that can damage the speakers..

A side-chain limiter would be just a "band aid" for a design flaw.

The Versarray ribbons had/have a "Rock" setting (or "Metal" or something) that raised the crossover point for more abusive use. That said, crossing above 2kHz the 12" is beaming and in to cone- breakup mode..
Have you looked at any of the ribbons to determine if they burnt, or shattered? 
How much do they cost?

Art

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 10:05:56 PM »

Have you looked at any of the ribbons to determine if they burnt, or shattered? 
How much do they cost?
There has always been a visibly obvious tear in the ribbon. Never saw burn marks.
Peavey charged $65 for the most recent repair. (January 2017)
I could purchase just the replacement ribbon much cheaper if I wanted to attempt it myself. (I'd need to purchase some non-magnetic tools.)
I may want to consider learning how to repair this myself if this trend were to continue. Even if I do it wrong a few times and ruin a couple ribbons while learning, it might be more convenient in the long run.

At this point I just consider it a cost of using these speakers, albeit a nuisance.
The most recent event was at our 1st band practice with my new x32 compact.
I was trying to set gain levels, monitor levels, etc. The electronic drums were plugged into the wrong channel.
I unplugged them then plugged them into the correct channel. There was a loud pop.
After I set the gain, I started bringing up the fader in the mains.
It seemed ok for about maybe a minute, then no more HF.
Steve Loewenthal

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 10:22:04 PM »

Steve, repair the blown ribbons and sell the 12Ds.  Buy the Yamahas.  Seriously.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 02:10:46 AM »

As for a de-esser on the x32 there is a dedicated one in the fx section.

However you can also configure either the ducker or the compressor (depending on your needs) to be used as a single-band de-esser using the sidechain filter.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:13:06 AM by Robert Lofgren »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 02:10:46 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.