ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: I could hear every word from the announcer but...  (Read 36633 times)

Tracy Garner

I could hear every word from the announcer but...
« on: October 13, 2017, 02:50:12 PM »

When the band started playing the sound was really not as good at all in comparison.

This was the feedback I heard today from a coworker who attended the first concert ever at Mercedes Benz Stadium...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: I could hear every word from the announcer but...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 03:20:04 PM »

When the band started playing the sound was really not as good at all in comparison.

This was the feedback I heard today from a coworker who attended the first concert ever at Mercedes Benz Stadium...
There is a lot of "talk" going around about this event.

Some have been blaming the house sound system.

The installed house system was NOT being used.  All of the sound was from the tour system brought into the venue.

The tour guys were given the opportunity to tie into the house system, (with parts of it disabled that would also be covered from the center stage system).

It was declined.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »

Similar to this article's description?

http://music.blog.ajc.com/2017/10/13/concert-review-garth-brooks-mercedes-benz-stadium-opener-had-passionate-hits-sound-complaints-and-jimmy-carter/

-Dennis

Tracy Garner

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:18:03 PM »

There is a lot of "talk" going around about this event.

Some have been blaming the house sound system.

The installed house system was NOT being used.  All of the sound was from the tour system brought into the venue.

The tour guys were given the opportunity to tie into the house system, (with parts of it disabled that would also be covered from the center stage system).

It was declined.

That should be a lesson for the future. At the same time, I've been tailgating outside the old GA Dome and now the MB Stadium. At the new stadium, many people come outside talking about that sound in there. "It sounds like a concert in there", "that sound in the Benz is bumping". You wouldn't expect people to notice it.

Meanwhile, an untrained ear spent good money for the concert where they brought in sound and complained "the band didn't sound good".

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 11:01:28 PM »

That should be a lesson for the future. At the same time, I've been tailgating outside the old GA Dome and now the MB Stadium. At the new stadium, many people come outside talking about that sound in there. "It sounds like a concert in there", "that sound in the Benz is bumping". You wouldn't expect people to notice it.

Meanwhile, an untrained ear spent good money for the concert where they brought in sound and complained "the band didn't sound good".

An installation, in theory, has the opportunity to cover almost every Sq M of space occupied by humans.  Good designs, suitable products and careful alignment can make that happen.  Some results are better than others...

With portable stadium concert PA and the limited loudspeaker placement options that come with 'portable' there are inevitably places where coverage will be lacking.  That the install side *can* have an advantage this will probably cause some head scratching and rethinking of what is required to deliver "install quality" sound from portable systems. 8)

Anyway, having been asked to interface with arena systems and having access only to the room system presets and zone mutes I can say that chances are very good that I'm not going to able to make use of the installed system unless I have access levels that the house TD probably doesn't have...  I can understand Garth's tour SE declining to interface with the installed system; he's then tasked with aligning a STADIUM (not a trivial task) with his rig.  Think about this for a minute - the stuff Ivan spends a week doing, the SE will have maybe 2 hours to do.

The sting from the SpaceFace/Tweetersphere may be sufficient that artist's TDs may have to up the budget for more gear and more time, or more time and site visits to see what parts of an installation might be beneficial, accessible, and controllable.  We'll see.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 06:59:38 AM »

As I understand it, the installation of the acoustic treatment is not complete or has not even been started.
There IS a reason that treatment was specified as necessary...perhaps to, oh I don't know...improve sound quality?!?!?
Still, even in a good space, poor implementation of a touring rig will create problems.
Unfortunately, most people will not differentiate between the house system and the touring system and complain about "wasted money"
The title says it all.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 07:53:11 AM »

Think about this for a minute - the stuff Ivan spends a week doing, the SE will have maybe 2 hours to do.

So why not take advantage of that?

What was offered was that the lower bowl speakers would be turned off, and the mid-upper bowl bowl would be the house system.

So let the stage PA cover the field and lower seating, and the installed system cover the rest.

Basically do a quick signal arrival time (at some place-YES it will be different than others-but I can assure you they were not setting individual arrival times for each of the delays that they brought), and be done.

Maybe a tad of eq to balance and you are done.

I am quite sure they did not walk every coverage pattern.  Believe me, it takes quite a while and will wear you out.  That is a very LARGE space, with lots of steps.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 09:46:24 AM »

Is this that Garth Brooks show that everyone is complaining about?

I guess I have to wonder how anyone would even be able to tell that it didn't sound good in the first place?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »

I've been wondering how long it would take for concert venues to install permanent sound systems. I hope this incident triggers some reinspection of the old business plan... of course the big sound companies have skin in that decision.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 10:02:50 AM »

I've been wondering how long it would take for concert venues to install permanent sound systems. I hope this incident triggers some reinspection of the old business plan... of course the big sound companies have skin in that decision.

JR

The sharp pencils at Live Nation started doing something like that:  basic tour style PA and lights, anything extra came out of artist's settlement.  It didn't last very long or happen in more than a few venues LN managed.  Artists said "fuck you, we won't play your rooms."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 10:02:50 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 17 queries.