ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Mount 12" box truss to confer block wall  (Read 21821 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Mount 12" box truss to confer block wall
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »

I appreciate your forwardness for life safety issues. But I feel that is taking things a bit too far.

Support beams into the foundation? The stage is 3ft high.
Saying the concrete wall won't hold the load up?

So now that I've chased them away they're using unistrut to mount to the concrete wall at the suggestion of AllProSound...

Definitely achieved gaining an engineering stamp of approval there. Along with someone who is 100% unqualified to do the work than someone who is only 30% unqualified.

Sorry for being passive aggressive, just kinda disappointed at the outcome.

If you HAD to choose would you rather me (someone who is going to actually calculate the loading and research the materials) or someone who would use TV wall mounts?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 12:19:41 AM »

There is a difference between a concrete wall and a concrete block wall. For the blocks, the mortar is the weak point. I would not lag to it.
I know it was perhaps rhetorical but you cannot guarantee anything about the block wall.

You are seriously not listening to folks older and wiser.

Unistrut is a fine way to mount things. After all, it has engineering specs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 07:06:58 AM »

You are seriously not listening to folks older and wiser.

Unistrut is a fine way to mount things. After all, it has engineering specs.

To be clear, I am not doing anything.

Sure, unistrut is okay. But its being mounted to the same block wall y'all are so scarred of.

For the blocks, the mortar is the weak point. I would not lag to it.

How is the mortar the weak point when the wedge bolt manufactures say that is where to drill?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:13:56 AM by Nathan Riddle »

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

David Allred

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 08:36:22 AM »

To be clear, I am not doing anything.

Sure, unistrut is okay. But its being mounted to the same block wall y'all are so scarred of.

How is the mortar the weak point when the wedge bolt manufactures say that is where to drill?
Welcome to the land of "You can't win!".

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 12:44:03 PM »

So now that I've chased them away they're using unistrut to mount to the concrete wall at the suggestion of AllProSound...

What's wrong with Unistrut?  Assuming it's not held up by the aforementioned Tapcon's it's a tried and true methig.

Every Walmart you ever have been in has the network racks suspended from the ceiling by Unistrut and Spring Nuts.  So are the Air Handlers.

I would like to see drop (wedge style) anchors on the concrete wall.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »

Welcome to the land of "You can't win!".

Haha, so true. Thanks for lightening the mood :)

What's wrong with Unistrut?  Assuming it's not held up by the aforementioned Tapcon's it's a tried and true methig.

Every Walmart you ever have been in has the network racks suspended from the ceiling by Unistrut and Spring Nuts.  So are the Air Handlers.

I would like to see drop (wedge style) anchors on the concrete wall.

I will report back with how they did it when I find out. Until then it will be ASSumptions.

Currently, I think tapcons will be used to hold the unistrut to the wall. Either that or wedge style lags.

"I would like to see drop (wedge style) anchors on the concrete wall."  (meaning you approve of this method?)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 02:43:52 PM »

Currently, I think tapcons will be used to hold the unistrut to the wall. Either that or wedge style lags.

Tapcons are appropriate for lightweight loads such as conduit that won't be turned into monkey bars.

For medium weight loads, I wouldn't consider anything less than wedge style lags.

For anything that could be subjected to extreme shear or pulling force, a safer solution is through bolts that bear on the opposite side of the wall. Then you're not depending on the tensile or shear strength of the concrete at all; it's all compressive. And concrete has excellent compressive strength.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

David Allred

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »

Haha, so true. Thanks for lightening the mood :)

I don't know if I would trust tampons.  Even though they expand to fill a void, they are removed too easily unless the string is removed.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »

Tapcons are appropriate for lightweight loads such as conduit that won't be turned into monkey bars.

For medium weight loads, I wouldn't consider anything less than wedge style lags.

For anything that could be subjected to extreme shear or pulling force, a safer solution is through bolts that bear on the opposite side of the wall. Then you're not depending on the tensile or shear strength of the concrete at all; it's all compressive. And concrete has excellent compressive strength.

Good point about through bolts, I was considering that if I ended up doing some work on it. With as much disgust with the wedge style lags into the wall I probably would have gone that route.

I don't know if I would trust tampons.  Even though they expand to fill a void, they are removed too easily unless the string is removed.

;D

I'll report back when I find out what they did, so we can all have a good laugh.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 09:15:35 PM »

A couple of years ago I was asked to install some gooseneck light fixtures on the exterior of a century old plu building on our town square.  I've run into 2 kinds of brick in this town-some so soft it crumbles and some so hard you can barely drill a whole in them and they will literally take the threads off of tapcons.  My research determined the gold standard was expoxy based anchors in these situations.  I ended up settling on wedge based anchors in the mortar per the manufacturers recomendations (that made the historical people happy too!).

These were a much lighter load-my main concern was wind load.  The lights have survived a couple of Iowa springs with the attendant storms.

I would agree with Jonathan on bolting through if at all possible.  Use a large backer plate covering multiple blocks if possible.

I get the concern and suggestions for getting an engineer involved. My experience with engineers (in my area) is that it can be very difficult to get them to sign off on a small project-especially with anything like a stamp that transfers responsibility to them.  Perhaps in larger metro areas there are enough firms that it is a simple matter.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 09:15:35 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.