ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Crown "System Architect" ...what do I need?  (Read 9768 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Crown "System Architect" ...what do I need?
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 05:30:18 AM »

You have the RMS limiter set far, far too high.  I'd suggest 1/3 or less.  The attack and release are right.
The Crown documentation states to use the "continuous" rating of the speaker for the RMS setting (which is the 1600); this seems right, but I'm open to learning what it actually should be.

For the peak limit, this is the one that doesn't "add up"!  Any recommendations on this? 

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »

The Crown documentation states to use the "continuous" rating of the speaker for the RMS setting (which is the 1600); this seems right, but I'm open to learning what it actually should be.

For the peak limit, this is the one that doesn't "add up"!  Any recommendations on this?

If you go online to Crown to one of the I-Tech HD amplifier pages thee are two downloads under "documentation" on the left hand side.  IT HD Limiter Wizard, which is a spreadsheet and the LevelMax Guide.  These may be helpful tools for you to look at.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 11:37:27 AM »

If you go online to Crown to one of the I-Tech HD amplifier pages thee are two downloads under "documentation" on the left hand side.  IT HD Limiter Wizard, which is a spreadsheet and the LevelMax Guide.  These may be helpful tools for you to look at.

Lee

Unfortunately, I don't think this will be of much help to the OP. He is using Macrotech i amplifier, which do not have limiter max.  They use the older original itech limiting.  The limiting that JBL didn't even fully utilize in their Vertec presets (on the itech). 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 12:26:16 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't think this will be of much help to the OP. He is using Macrotech i amplifier, which do not have limiter max.  They use the older original itech limiting.  The limiting that JBL didn't even fully utilize in their Vertec presets (on the itech). 

Macro-Tech I is the third tab of the spreadsheet.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 07:37:52 PM »

Lee
Great tool!  Thank you very much.  I'll need to visit JBL's website to figure out the 2 hr and 100 hr wattage limits.  Seems like in the past, the 100 hr rating was the "continuous" figure, but I don't think drivers/cabinets are rated like that (anymore?).

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 07:40:18 PM »

Lee

Well shoot, thanks Lee... didn't know that tab existed.

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 09:52:37 PM »

Great tool!  Thank you very much.  I'll need to visit JBL's website to figure out the 2 hr and 100 hr wattage limits.  Seems like in the past, the 100 hr rating was the "continuous" figure, but I don't think drivers/cabinets are rated like that (anymore?).

JBL's testing is in free air so it can't take into account the heat containment of the loudspeaker enclosure.

At 1600W you'll NEVER see your RMS limiter kick in, the speakers will be releasing Majik Smoke before you can sing a verse and chorus of Puff, the Burned out Subwoofer.  Further consider that you're unlikely to be able to power your subs with that much *continuous* power without some old iron amplifier and they'd likely be in constant clip to deliver it.

Do what you want but if you go back and read the discussions between Ivan, me and possibly Art W (can't remember for sure who the 3rd person was) about empirical testing to find power compression, you'll find that for the purposes of protective long-term power limiting, using the RMS rating of the speaker will provide little or no protection.

Take your pick of "Wake up and smell the voice coils" or "I love the smell of voice coils in the morning".  Just sayin'.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 07:33:46 PM »

JBL's testing is in free air so it can't take into account the heat containment of the loudspeaker enclosure.

At 1600W you'll NEVER see your RMS limiter kick in, the speakers will be releasing Majik Smoke before you can sing a verse and chorus of Puff, the Burned out Subwoofer.  Further consider that you're unlikely to be able to power your subs with that much *continuous* power without some old iron amplifier and they'd likely be in constant clip to deliver it.

Do what you want but if you go back and read the discussions between Ivan, me and possibly Art W (can't remember for sure who the 3rd person was) about empirical testing to find power compression, you'll find that for the purposes of protective long-term power limiting, using the RMS rating of the speaker will provide little or no protection.

Take your pick of "Wake up and smell the voice coils" or "I love the smell of voice coils in the morning".  Just sayin'.
This is great Tim!  Thanks!

Yep, I agree 1600 seems a bit high (the Crown manual specifically states to use the "continuous" rating).  I'm open to suggestions for what would be an average level (if there is such a thing) to start with.

And yes, "I love the smell of voice coils in the morning"...

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 07:40:44 PM »

...as a follow up to my previous post, I see JBL rated their continuous power using a 6db crest factor.  Doing the math, this should equate to 400 watts... perhaps this should be the RMS setting.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »

...as a follow up to my previous post, I see JBL rated their continuous power using a 6db crest factor.  Doing the math, this should equate to 400 watts... perhaps this should be the RMS setting.

Bob, I think I just saw the light bulb over your head flash!

And this is why the longer attack and release times, you want the peaks to get through but you don't want so much long term power that you have excessive power compression or burn up the VC.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.