ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New soldering iron suggestions  (Read 14921 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: New soldering iron suggestions
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 03:24:38 PM »

The tip cleaner is the same stuff that's already included in the stand that comes with the iron.

Didn't realize that - couldn't tell from the picture.... well my last 2 comments give me my answer to whether or not I should get me a head worn magnifier - LOL
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »

Hi Debbie,

I am an EE manager and the lab (of course) has the very best equipment in soldering irons that money can buy.

At work, the guys won't let me near a real work area (I suspect they think I have forgotten how to do anything useful at this point in my career ;) ), but the problem I always have with real soldering workstations is that they are clunky to carry around.  If you are only using them at a workstation, then they are great.

For me, at my own house I use one of these:  https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX601-02-Adjustable-Temperature-Controlled/dp/B00FZPSX3G/ref=zg_bs_13837371_17?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V2A53JSHVPF4BWRKHY81

This is small enough that it fits in my small emergency equipment kit and still has everything I need to get the job done (at home and out on a gig).

This little sucker heats up in just a few seconds, and puts out enough power to solder big wires to a big metal resistor pot (on a guitar) without any problems at all.  It has temperature control, and the tip stays at that temperature even under a pretty serious load (I have seen trials on the web to prove it too).

I also use a bronze wire tip cleaner (sponges are not nearly as good), and typically use rosin core solder to avoid the need for external rosin.

To remove solder from an existing part, I recommend solder wick, and a solder sucker.  With this small set of soldering utensils, I can do most any job.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 09:47:52 PM »

Hi Debbie,

I am an EE manager and the lab (of course) has the very best equipment in soldering irons that money can buy.

At work, the guys won't let me near a real work area (I suspect they think I have forgotten how to do anything useful at this point in my career ;) ), but the problem I always have with real soldering workstations is that they are clunky to carry around.  If you are only using them at a workstation, then they are great.

For me, at my own house I use one of these:  https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX601-02-Adjustable-Temperature-Controlled/dp/B00FZPSX3G/ref=zg_bs_13837371_17?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V2A53JSHVPF4BWRKHY81

This is small enough that it fits in my small emergency equipment kit and still has everything I need to get the job done (at home and out on a gig).

This little sucker heats up in just a few seconds, and puts out enough power to solder big wires to a big metal resistor pot (on a guitar) without any problems at all.  It has temperature control, and the tip stays at that temperature even under a pretty serious load (I have seen trials on the web to prove it too).

I also use a bronze wire tip cleaner (sponges are not nearly as good), and typically use rosin core solder to avoid the need for external rosin.

To remove solder from an existing part, I recommend solder wick, and a solder sucker.  With this small set of soldering utensils, I can do most any job.

Thanks Scott - I did see this version of the Hakko earlier when I was checking them out on Amazon. I have a separate generic holder so it would work for me.
I agree that the workstations can be a bit clunky unless left in place.
I wish the soldering iron wand could be plugged into the station to make it a bit easier to move around.  Maybe there is a more expensive iron that can be but I don't want to go much over $100- or should I say I don't want someone else to have to pay over $100 on a gift for me. I do also have a sucker which I have found invaluable.
I am amazed at how many members use a Hakko - It was always Weller years ago and I believe my old British one is a Weller.
One day I'll plug in that sucker ( into my huge heavy step up transformer that I brought with me 24 years ago) and see if it still works.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 10:26:30 PM »

I do also have a sucker which I have found invaluable.

You shouldn't talk about your husband like that!
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 10:36:42 PM »

You shouldn't talk about your husband like that!

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2017, 10:39:23 PM »

As long as we're all here, has anyone used the battery powered Hakko iron?

I am dubious about heat output but might do in a pinch.

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX-901-Cordless-Soldering-Iron/dp/B00FZPUA28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507862281&sr=8-1&keywords=hakko+battery+powered+soldering+iron
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2017, 11:37:12 PM »

You do realize I was talking about the P.T Barnum type sucker not any other connotation.  I realized after I saw your reaction that could be taken more ways than one.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2017, 11:43:08 PM »

You do realize I was talking about the P.T Barnum type sucker not any other connotation.  I realized after I saw your reaction that could be taken more ways than one.

I don't know what you mean Scott........ ;)

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 12:34:22 AM »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2017, 08:30:38 AM »

I wish the soldering iron wand could be plugged into the station to make it a bit easier to move around.  Maybe there is a more expensive iron that can be but I don't want to go much over $100- or should I say I don't want someone else to have to pay over $100 on a gift for me. I do also have a sucker which I have found invaluable.

My Weller WTCPT iron disconnects from the station.
I believe the WES51 does also, but better check with an owner.
Chris.
Oh, I use a big loupe magnifier with an 8" fluorescent ring-lite.
These old eyes and hands aren't anything like in the "good old days"  ;)
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2017, 08:30:38 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.