ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New soldering iron suggestions  (Read 14716 times)

Jeff Schoonover1

Re: New soldering iron suggestions
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 09:12:18 PM »

Yihua 937D+

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Station-Solder-Rework-Nozzles/dp/B01MSUEOJ1

I took a chance on this no name Chinese import a couple years ago after reading it's a Hakko without the name.  I've used Weller for years at work, but can't justify the price for a few jobs a month at home.  Sure enough, this has been my workhorse for two years and I couldn't be happier.  To be sure, it's not a top end Weller, but for this price, you can't beat it.  Spend more on the Hakko name if you like, but this is the same thing and works great.  Heats fast and accurately, maintains the temp within a degree or two and is powerful enough to keep the temp. even when soldering 10 Ga. copper wire.  Make SURE you calibrate it correctly, or you will burn tips up.  I've had to calibrate twice in two years - big deal.  Other than that I've had no issues at all.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 10:15:16 PM »

Hakko.

https://www.amazon.com/FX888D-Digital-Soldering-Station-Cutter/dp/B00WN3AD7C/ref=sr_1_10?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1507757175&sr=8-10&keywords=hakko+soldering+station&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

If you're looking for a stand-alone iron rather than a station, take a look at the Hakko FX-600, which uses the same tips as the FX-888D mentioned above and is almost as powerful (and still temperature controlled). I've been very happy with mine.

-Russ

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 10:27:15 PM »

Go for the Hakko. I've been a Weller fan most of my life, but the newer Wellers just aren't the same reliable animal as from the past. I now own the FX-888 and it will do anything I need except ground points to steel chassis, and I have a dedicated iron for that. Great features, heats fast, hold water in the well forever, tips clean nicely, and the price is more than reasonable. And they sell them at Home Depot. Who would have thunk.

LINKY!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:14:13 PM by Mac Kerr »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 10:34:15 PM »

I have a lot of irons, but my favorite is a Weller WESD51 station. It has a digital display for the temperature readout that's very handy. It's nice to be able to tell for sure when it's completely warmed up, and it's nice to see when the temperature sags a little while you're working.

That said, I have several other variable temperature stations without a digital display, and they work fine too. I think you'll be happy with any decent iron/station that has variable temperature and that you can easily find different tips for.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 01:19:04 AM »

I have the discontinued fx-888 analog with the knob and I like it.  What do you guys think of the newer digital one with presets?  Some comments I read on line complain about the 2 button user interface.  Good for factory work where they don't want the workers messing with the settings.

I also have an x-tronic workstation with hot air and iron.  I LOVE it for heat shrink.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 01:24:11 AM »

I have the discontinued fx-888 analog with the knob and I like it.  What do you guys think of the newer digital one with presets?  Some comments I read on line complain about the 2 button user interface.  Good for factory work where they don't want the workers messing with the settings.

I also have an x-tronic workstation with hot air and iron.  I LOVE it for heat shrink.

I'd take the analog unit over the digital one.  Unfortunately when I bought my own personal iron most recently the analog wasn't available.  It's just real nice to grab a simple knob and crank it to the desired temp.  I don't understand what (if anything) is supposed to be better about the digital.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 01:48:55 AM »

I can't believe I am the first to ask you what you are going to be doing with it.

Different irons for different applications.  Are you going to be doing PC board work on simple single layer boards like crossovers that have giant lands?  Is portability an issue?  Do you need high heat for larger connectors? 

Perhaps this is mostly for XLR's and other solder type connectors.

I too have many irons and workstations.  For general purpose work I really like myy Hexacon Therm-o-trac.   They still make them but the are $700 bucks and built the same way for 30 years.  No digital display, just a status light, temp know and power switch.  Occasionally deals can be found on eBay and they last forever so don't be scared of an old one.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 02:09:03 AM »

well ! er !

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 02:10:49 AM »

I can't believe I am the first to ask you what you are going to be doing with it.

Different irons for different applications.  Are you going to be doing PC board work on simple single layer boards like crossovers that have giant lands?  Is portability an issue?  Do you need high heat for larger connectors? 

Perhaps this is mostly for XLR's and other solder type connectors.

I too have many irons and workstations.  For general purpose work I really like myy Hexacon Therm-o-trac.   They still make them but the are $700 bucks and built the same way for 30 years.  No digital display, just a status light, temp know and power switch.  Occasionally deals can be found on eBay and they last forever so don't be scared of an old one.
I have about 6 different irons all different sizes and wattages for different apps.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 02:10:49 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.