ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: GEQ's Just won't go away......  (Read 8355 times)

John Fruits

Re: GEQ's Just won't go away......
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »

Seems like GEQ vs PEQ would be a great interview question when hiring audio help.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 08:16:04 PM »

There is 1 good reason to use a GEQ:

When "Ear-Tuning" a system.

However, a 5-band PEQ is clearly a superior tool.

There are 2 reason NOT to use a GEQ:

1. When the Top to Sub balance is wrong.

2. When the speakers just plain sound bad.

-Dennis

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:19:04 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 08:26:33 PM »

I hardly touch my digital GEQ's anymore either, whether on my processor or my board.  All these digital boards coming out seem to include a GEQ-on-Fader feature, which just makes it too easy for people to learn that it's the "right tool for the job".  As someone already mentioned, perhaps it's for the speed and convenience, especially in monitor world?  but what if the issue doesn't fall on one of your GEQ bands?  Working on my iLive really opened my eyes (ears) to the different GEQ types, that was a day of wonder and excitement (and dread of what I'd been doing all this time).

Anecdotal story: I worked in a bar and once the band showed up before me and decided they would go to down on my "carefully butchered" house GEQ settings.  They adjusted the FOH left and one of the monitors only (despite my labels), and gave them a nice big frown shape. Fully boosted in the mids and completely cut in the lows and highs. 

When questioned about why they touched it, they said "oh we do that in every room we go to - just in case".    Like, just in case of what???  They were not hired again.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 10:08:56 PM »

I just did a private function gig with a female country artist you've heard of.  The BE requested a KT DN360 between the console outputs and L/R drive.  Partly to give him a fast grab and partly to put *something* analog in the signal chain.  I've kept the 360 and a pair of dbx 160 in the drive rack for the few remaining BEs that request 'em but this is the first time in >3 years I've done it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 10:33:28 PM »

I believe in a GEQ for system output at the DSP level. Set then forget, and I like GEQ's for monitors. I do however like a nice 4 band PEQ on the channel strip. To each his own, and all types of EQ's have a place in the mix when used properly. GEQ's will live on with a practical use forever. To think they have no use is just being silly.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 06:46:39 AM »

partly to put *something* analog in the signal chain.

Oh boy...::)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

David Allred

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 08:05:43 AM »

Rack-mounted GEQ's will be around as long as entry-level (and mid-level) physical mixers are around.  As long as people learn how to modify sound via a visually charted graph, it will be engrained into their DNA.  Hard to fight genetics.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 08:16:40 AM »

A friend asked me to fill in at a newish local bar. He was showing me the pretty decent kit they bought at an auction...Midas Venice console, EV XW12 wedges, QSC RMX4050 amps, Nexo CD18 subs and PS15 mains. I was looking around for the dsp but couldn't find one.

They were using a stack of Ashly GQX3102 GEQs to "process" their bi-amped mains. I haven't been back but I can only imagine the demise of those HF drivers.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 09:13:14 AM »

I just did a private function gig with a female country artist you've heard of.  The BE requested a KT DN360 between the console outputs and L/R drive.  Partly to give him a fast grab and partly to put *something* analog in the signal chain.
Wouldn't the talent be analog?

JR
I've kept the 360 and a pair of dbx 160 in the drive rack for the few remaining BEs that request 'em but this is the first time in >3 years I've done it.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 09:57:03 AM »

Oh boy...::)

It's a service business, eh?  If the BE wants an external word clock we'll do it (and add it to the invoice).  At least the DN360 will make an audible change in the audio when desired...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 09:57:03 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.