ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dayton Audio iMM-6 or iTestMic2 - worth the difference in price?  (Read 13717 times)

Eric du Toit

Re: Dayton Audio iMM-6 or iTestMic2 - worth the difference in price?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 12:01:54 AM »

It's OK we are all jerks - however always willing to learn

That's fair - I wasn't trying to be difficult.  I think I was a bit frustrated at what seemed to be a drive-by-posting.  I appreciate your follow up and not flaming me for what could have been interpreted as incendiary.

Right on that EASE would be a good tool for modeling performance, but the places we are going are so small that the amount of effort involved in something like that for a total of 60 minutes of music is overkill for my application.

We're never running anything much hotter than 85dB since it's bluegrass and most people run away from banjo playing.  Some of the places we go are so acoustically a mess that trying to ring it out is an exercise in futility. With QSC K10 tops and a Mackie SRM1550 Sub, I could (probably, I've never tried) exceed 98dB fairly continuous in the smaller churches we're in so headroom / last few dB isn't usually a problem. - and they're so small and compact that no one believes how loud they can actually get.  I'm not saying we're anything special, but we sound good, full, and controlled.  It's really nice - something I've only heard at the more contemporary churches - though we're not as loud intentionally.

I have a certain comfort level in starting with the RTA to see if there is anything crazy in the room and to get somewhat close to the final result.  It's not a perfect solution, but it's a tool that I've used to get closer to what I want and then use my ears to finish it.  Things have changed quite a bit with digital consoles, RTAs overlaid on the digital EQ display, etc.. and so I'm learning much more about the equipment I have - each time it gets better.

I'm pretty certain that I'll get good use out of the iTestMic2 even though my wallet says get another iMM-6 and keep one on backup for when it craps out.

Thanks again! I may post a followup after 6 months of using it.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 12:07:59 AM »

That's fair - I wasn't trying to be difficult.  I think I was a bit frustrated at what seemed to be a drive-by-posting.  I appreciate your follow up and not flaming me for what could have been interpreted as incendiary.

Right on that EASE would be a good tool for modeling performance, but the places we are going are so small that the amount of effort involved in something like that for a total of 60 minutes of music is overkill for my application.

We're never running anything much hotter than 85dB since it's bluegrass and most people run away from banjo playing.  Some of the places we go are so acoustically a mess that trying to ring it out is an exercise in futility. With QSC K10 tops and a Mackie SRM1550 Sub, I could (probably, I've never tried) exceed 98dB fairly continuous in the smaller churches we're in so headroom / last few dB isn't usually a problem. - and they're so small and compact that no one believes how loud they can actually get.  I'm not saying we're anything special, but we sound good, full, and controlled.  It's really nice - something I've only heard at the more contemporary churches - though we're not as loud intentionally.

I have a certain comfort level in starting with the RTA to see if there is anything crazy in the room and to get somewhat close to the final result.  It's not a perfect solution, but it's a tool that I've used to get closer to what I want and then use my ears to finish it.  Things have changed quite a bit with digital consoles, RTAs overlaid on the digital EQ display, etc.. and so I'm learning much more about the equipment I have - each time it gets better.

I'm pretty certain that I'll get good use out of the iTestMic2 even though my wallet says get another iMM-6 and keep one on backup for when it craps out.

Thanks again! I may post a followup after 6 months of using it.

Just let go man...You are not pushing your system hard.  Get back that 15 minutes of your life you spend going through the motions.

Now that that is all said I have the iTestmic2 and love it.  But I use it for measuring loudspeaker performance and adjusting processing on biamped and triamped rigs in the shop.  It has never left the shop (or my basement when I setup my home theater).

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Eric du Toit

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 12:29:35 AM »

... I have the iTestmic2 and love it.

Dude... you crazy man..   Thanks again for the reply - good to know.  I really do appreciate it!

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 12:59:27 AM »

Dude... you crazy man..   Thanks again for the reply - good to know.  I really do appreciate it!

You took my quote out of context.  That's not fair. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Eric du Toit

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 01:31:01 PM »

You took my quote out of context.  That's not fair.

I did..  I'll buy lunch next time I'm in Cleveland area.   ;D

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 02:41:06 PM »

I did..  I'll buy lunch next time I'm in Cleveland area.   ;D

Slyman's

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jim Thorn

• State College, PA
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »

I think I'd go cheap and easy by getting a 3.5mm TRRS male-to-female extension cable, and placing that between the phone (or tablet) and the IMM-6.  If you get one with a 90 degree male end, it should be almost impervious to damage at the phone end, and if it's very short, the mic just dangles a few inches below the phone (it IS an omni mic, after all, so the direction it points is almost irrelevant.)  If you get a longer one, you can rig the mic to a stand with a little gaffer tape, or even hold it in your free hand.

When I searched for "3.5 mm TRRS extension cable", Google showed me many inexpensive options, in a variety of lengths.

Best Regards,
Jim Thorn

The price difference is significant : $15 each for the iMM-6 or $200 for the iTestMic2

The usage for us - once a week after setup in a new place, RTA the mains and monitors.   The iMM-6 has proven to be pretty good for this task but the headphone jack seems to get bent easy and now I either need to order several of the iMM-6 mics or get one iTestMic2.

I may have already answered my own question - but I could buy over 10 iMM-6 mics for less than the price of one iTestMic2.  The iTestMic2 will work with newer iPhones having only a lightning port without needing a dongle.

Is the iTestMic2 that much better that I should buy it over buying ~4 iMM-6 mics and keeping spares for a quick RTA once a week?

To be clear - I don't have a problem spending $200 on a test microphone, but do I get that much more out of the iTestMic2?  Reliability or durability is 1st with accuracy a close second.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.