ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison of Powered Speakers  (Read 10876 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Comparison of Powered Speakers
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 07:05:46 PM »

On paper the DBR's and ZLX's aren't the equal of the others at the same price point.

I'd be interested to know how they sound "on paper"...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:09:43 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lance Rectanus

• NW Ohio
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 07:34:28 PM »

I'd be interested to know how they sound "on paper"...

I think that you are pointing out the fallacy of believing printed manufacturers specs and making a decision based only on that. When specs are all that there is to go on, then that's what you go on. I did ask for people's impressions of these boxes and I received no specific replies of praise or pan on any of them. Honestly, I don't believe that I will hear the difference if one's -3 dB point is 55 Hz and another's is 52 Hz, even if the printed specs are true. I don't believe that I have golden ears.

I spoke to my sales rep with whom I have a 3 year buying relationship and believed him when he said that he personally recommends them and sells many more of them than any of the others I mentioned. I know that I have 30 days to return them for something else if I don't like them: no questions asked. So I do my research, ask for input from others and and make somewhat informed decision. I would love to have a 4-way shootout, but I don't think that any supplier is going to bother with that for a less than $800 sale.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 01:22:10 PM »

Regarding the running two cables vs one, for an fixed install I would honestly just make up or get made up a siamese cable with power and signal together, I have had no issue running mic level through a decent XLR cable next to power cables, I doubt line level will have any issue.

Just make sure you follow code when you select the cabling and correctly install it.

Depending on where the signal is coming from, cable will not meet the NEC especially in a place of assembly.  In general, it's going to take metallic sheathed or conduit wiring system to meet code.  Running conduit or sheathed cable for a second run can be significantly more difficult (co$tly) than just running speaker cables.

Siamese makes sense for portable/temporary setups-but as soon as it becomes an "install" code looks at it differently.
Steve Swaffer

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2017, 03:38:05 AM »

Depending on where the signal is coming from, cable will not meet the NEC especially in a place of assembly.  In general, it's going to take metallic sheathed or conduit wiring system to meet code.  Running conduit or sheathed cable for a second run can be significantly more difficult (co$tly) than just running speaker cables.

Siamese makes sense for portable/temporary setups-but as soon as it becomes an "install" code looks at it differently.

That's the reason I put in that disclaimer, I'm not in the USA and things are done very differently this side. Honestly if the siamese cable is done correctly I don't see how it would be a code violation, should be rated the same of higher then other options since it can be custom made.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 04:04:18 PM »

That's the reason I put in that disclaimer, I'm not in the USA and things are done very differently this side. Honestly if the siamese cable is done correctly I don't see how it would be a code violation, should be rated the same of higher then other options since it can be custom made.

Depends on your country code.
In the USA, cables in walls have restrictions especially if carrying power. In public place installs which includes churches, there are even more constraints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 01:42:05 PM »

Depends on your country code.
In the USA, cables in walls have restrictions especially if carrying power. In public place installs which includes churches, there are even more constraints.

These same rules apply for all cables? What I'm saying is that if you treat it as a power line it should be fine, or does code require that power and signal lines be run separately?
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 12:46:18 AM »

These same rules apply for all cables? What I'm saying is that if you treat it as a power line it should be fine, or does code require that power and signal lines be run separately?

In the USA , all cables in the same raceway must be rated (the insulation) for the same voltage. So, if you have a power feed in a conduit that is required to have a 600v rating, the low voltage wires in the same conduit must also be rated the same.

No Siamese cables I know of meet that requirement.
Getting them through the conduit would be interesting too unless you use pretty big pipe.

Oh, and none of the common Siamese cables that I know of  are approved for in wall installation anyway.
They are generally sold for portable use.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 12:46:18 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.