ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Security Camera's  (Read 7091 times)

Aaron Maurer

Security Camera's
« on: October 08, 2017, 07:32:02 PM »

Looking for some recommendations on a security camera setup.  Last week someone stole money and wallets from unlocked vehicles in my development police were notified. I was not one of the vehicles hit. Last night the neighbor down the street saw a person in my yard beside my trailer with my sound gear at 2am.  They turned and ran into the woods. Some friends have recommended Sam's Club camera packages. My shed is up the yard 75' from the house with no power. Looking for two exterior camera's with high definition particularly at night. Can run power to the shed if necessary but rather wireless.  Preparing to install motion sensor lights. They found one of the stolen wallets behind my shed last week. We have miles of mountain land behind my property. Any suggestions appreciated. 

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Security Camera's
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »

Dogs

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 09:24:36 PM »

If you're serious about cameras and are expecting to see some decent video of "suspects", you may have to spend some good money.  The ones that are only a few hundred dollars may not be what you are looking for.  There's a lot more variables with security cameras now than there was 10-15 years ago.  Do your research.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:57:14 PM »

The packages with 4 cameras and a DVR that you can buy at big box retailer for a couple of hundred bucks are analog cameras with poor definition.

I suggest looking at hi-def digital security cameras that connect via computer network. You might spend a few hundred, but you'll get more features and a LOT better image quality. I like the Ubiqiti gear, it provides good value for the price. Ubiquiti cameras use Power over Ethernet, so they do require you to run a CAT5e or better cable to them. They have IR emitters to illuminate a scene in total darkness.

DO NOT install a pan-tilt-zoom camera anywhere that MUST be recorded. They have a nasty habit of being pointed the wrong direction when things go down. Also consider "low mounted" cameras to get a better shot of the perp's face. So much footage ends up useless because all you see is the bill of a baseball cap.

DISCLAIMER: My company sells Ubiquiti gear inluding WiFi and camera devices.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:02:13 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
Security Camera's
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 11:43:02 PM »

Cameras let you see, within the limitations of the system, who stole your stuff. Meanwhile your stuff is still missing. An alarm may prevent your stuff from being stolen. It's doesn't need to be and if the big chain systems. Something that will wake you and activate lights will do.

Motion activated lights are cheap and effective at making the suspect try someone else's house/shed etc. There are battery powered LED flood that recharge with a solar panel that can be mounted in the shed. Remember to illuminate the back side of the shed as well.
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 11:54:21 PM »

I like the idea of a "curiosity trap". In addition to the usual out-of-reach cameras that surveil large areas, I like putting a camera in a ground level window looking out. Every crook casing your joint looks into every window. When they look into the window with the camera you get a frame-filling face shot. Just a thought. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Lyle Williams

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 11:57:16 PM »

Visible cameras are a deterent.

High def and infra-red are must-have features if you are trying to get useable images.

John Fruits

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 06:48:16 AM »

Well, you asked for any suggestions so here goes.
Consider wildlife cameras, cheap and can be deployed in the area behind your house. See who is sneaking around.
Hide some speakers in the area behind your house and have a varied playlist.  From the sounds of worrisome critters, like mountain lions, wolves, and bears, (oh my!), to the sounds of someone creeping around and chambering a round. 
Channel your inner redneck and post some signage.  You know, They'll pry my fingers....., or Trespassers will be......, Oh yeah, a mock shooting range somewhere out back, with some artful targets with very tight patterns of holes. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 07:31:28 AM »

The hikvision ip cameras are a good budget choice, however consider the higher resolution models...  this is the view from my front porch cam.  Note this isn’t full resolution, or near to all the cameras I have (Just in case anyone with nefarious intent reads this...).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 07:59:25 AM »

Also, motion activated flood lights work

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 07:59:25 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.