ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Setup  (Read 2622 times)

Ben Easler

DSP Setup
« on: October 05, 2017, 09:06:35 PM »

Hello all,
Following up on another post, I am redoing the Loudspeaker management DSP in a theater. As it is, there is a Soundweb setup using 3 old Soundweb systems. These original system files are MIA and can't be edited without totally redoing at this point. I am keeping these mostly in tact as they are handling some things like the sound going to green room and hall. I think I am just going to keep that processing there. They also have a mic splitter from some wireless mics going into them for a quick setup mixer on a Crestron system which is not ever used. I am using a Biamp Audiaflex to handle the DSP on the loudspeakers as the setup seems to  give a good amount of processing to really handle the amount of speakers we have separately.

My question is this:
Is there a problem if I take the LCR inputs into my Soundweb (which connect w/ a Euroblock) and simply screw a second set of wires into that Euroblock at the Soundweb and run them over to the Biamp. For physical layout reasons, this seems to be the easiest way, I just want to verify that I will not be harming the signal in any way by doing this. To be clear, I will be passing no audio to the mains from the Soundweb but plan to use it just to send audio out to the matrix. This may change later but without getting into the space, logistically, it will be difficult to move everything to the Biamp. Thanks in advance! This place has been a great wealth of knowledge for someone really trying to learn the ins and outs of live sound!

Martin Morris

Re: DSP Setup
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 05:21:51 AM »

Hello all,
Following up on another post, I am redoing the Loudspeaker management DSP in a theater. As it is, there is a Soundweb setup using 3 old Soundweb systems. These original system files are MIA and can't be edited without totally redoing at this point. I am keeping these mostly in tact as they are handling some things like the sound going to green room and hall. I think I am just going to keep that processing there. They also have a mic splitter from some wireless mics going into them for a quick setup mixer on a Crestron system which is not ever used. I am using a Biamp Audiaflex to handle the DSP on the loudspeakers as the setup seems to  give a good amount of processing to really handle the amount of speakers we have separately.

My question is this:
Is there a problem if I take the LCR inputs into my Soundweb (which connect w/ a Euroblock) and simply screw a second set of wires into that Euroblock at the Soundweb and run them over to the Biamp. For physical layout reasons, this seems to be the easiest way, I just want to verify that I will not be harming the signal in any way by doing this. To be clear, I will be passing no audio to the mains from the Soundweb but plan to use it just to send audio out to the matrix. This may change later but without getting into the space, logistically, it will be difficult to move everything to the Biamp. Thanks in advance! This place has been a great wealth of knowledge for someone really trying to learn the ins and outs of live sound!

If what you are asking is can you "Y Split" some outputs, which you are describing as "LCR inputs" into the soundweb? - assuming these outputs are balanced, yes you can Y Split these.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:10:05 AM by Martin Morris »
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 12:28:24 PM »

If what you are asking is can you "Y Split" some outputs, which you are describing as "LCR inputs" into the soundweb? - assuming these outputs are balanced, yes you can Y Split these.
Just to add.

You can split the output signal into many different inputs, typically without issue (just be sure to lift the shield on the input sides).  Unless you do the math, usually no more than 10.  In some cases you can do a lot more.

You want the total load impedance to be 10 x the output impedance.

DO NOT Y 2 outputs into a single input.  It will not harm the input, but could damage the outputs, cause distortion, loss of level etc.

If you MUST do that, then use a resistive combiner.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 12:28:24 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.