ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crazy smoke detector problem.  (Read 804 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Crazy smoke detector problem.
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 07:37:52 pm »

... but a combination smoke/CO detector is the worst possible idea. Mainly.... where the freak do you mount it? Smoke rises. CO settles.

That's what I thought, too (about CO). But I wasn't sure, so I did some research (if you can believe the Internet) and found that CO actually tends to dissipate quickly rather than settling. It doesn't matter where you place the CO detector.

As for any detector, I've learned to blow them out every year to find off false alarms caused by dust or spiders.

EDIT: I used "credible" sources, not "fake news" sites.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:47:18 am by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 01:23:37 am »

That's what I thought, too (about CO). But I wasn't sure, so I did some research (if you can believe the Internet) and found that CO actually tends to dissipate quickly rather than settling. It doesn't matter where you place the CO detector.

As for any detector, I've learned to blow them out every year to find off false alarms caused by dust or spiders.

I have wired everything. I added battery CO detectors with displays so I could see the level if it goes off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Marc Sibilia

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 05:30:44 am »

Carbon monoxide has a molecular weight of 28.  Air has an effective molecular weight of 29.  CO is slightly lighter than air, but close enough that diffusion effectively keeps things well mixed.

(Sorry about being redundant.  I didn't read everything before I replied to Ray.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:37:27 am by Marc Sibilia »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 18 queries.