ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crazy smoke detector problem.  (Read 5804 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Crazy smoke detector problem.
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »

Just from a personal safety standpoint Deb, you may want to move the CM detector back to the original spot where you discovered it and see if it starts chirping again.  If it does, you may have a hidden leakage somewhere that should be checked.  Is the room where the detector was discovered above the garage maybe?

Mmmm....... interesting. Yes above the garage. but Chris and I both stood directly underneath the smoke detector and  it wasn't the CM detector that was chirping. It was definitely the SD. I have checked the CM detector and it tests fine.

EDIT - I have 2 CM detectors - one upstairs and one downstairs. Neither have alarmed since I got them. They are 2 years old. The CM detector was in a different part of that upstairs room until about 6 weeks ago when it got moved closer to the SD - it is the big bonus room now used for rehearsal.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:28:23 AM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 11:36:04 AM »

I had a chirper last winter. In the middle of the night in the unheated part of my house the ambient temp dropped enough that the battery voltage sagged enough to chirp. The voltage threshold is pretty high so the battery will still have enough energy to work until replaced.

It was annoying because in the middle of the night I just unplugged the battery and went back to sleep. The next morning the battery didn't chirp, because it was warmer.

JR

I've heard this and it is why the darn things always seem to go off in the middle of the night. The answer of course it to make sure to change out the batteries regularly whether they need it or not.  Going forward now I have started from scratch with all new batteries, I will switch them out once a year at this time.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »

- it is the big bonus room now used for rehearsal.

Blame the band! They were really smokin' that last rehearsal!
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »

Code here says hard-wired detectors.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 12:10:27 PM »

Code here says hard-wired detectors.
The house didn't come with CM detectors Dick - I added those so they are not hard wired. The smoke detectors are all hard wired.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »

Blame the band! They were really smokin' that last rehearsal!

:D

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 05:43:19 PM »

The house didn't come with CM detectors Dick - I added those so they are not hard wired. The smoke detectors are all hard wired.

You can get combination smoke/CO detectors that work with other smoke detectors (at least with some brands).  Here I am required to install dual sensor smoke detectors (typically photo and ion), hardwired iin every new home.  The combo CO/smokes also meet the dual sensor requirement, so when wiring rentals where a CO was required, sometimes we did one CO/smoke and rest normal dual sensor. 

May or may not be something you want to do-but the option is there.  They are more expensive-and harder to find.
Steve Swaffer

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 10:28:01 PM »

You can get combination smoke/CO detectors that work with other smoke detectors (at least with some brands).  Here I am required to install dual sensor smoke detectors (typically photo and ion), hardwired iin every new home.  The combo CO/smokes also meet the dual sensor requirement, so when wiring rentals where a CO was required, sometimes we did one CO/smoke and rest normal dual sensor. 

May or may not be something you want to do-but the option is there.  They are more expensive-and harder to find.

... but a combination smoke/CO detector is the worst possible idea. Mainly.... where the freak do you mount it? Smoke rises. CO settles. You either mount chest height (and have mediocre performance from both sides) or pick which one you want to actually be effective.

Not something I would EVER choose.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 10:33:07 PM »

(UNLESS it's a system where everything is connected, and you mount the dual-CO-Smoke unit down low, and if it goes off due to CO detection, it'll trigger all of the smoke detectors to go off as well.)
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 10:52:31 PM »

An unfinished basement with a gas appliance wouldn't be a terrible place-usually don't like to have too much power down low in case of flooding.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 10:52:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.