ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: what micro would better suit me  (Read 5171 times)

Sergio Diogo

what micro would better suit me
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:13:56 AM »

Hi,

I am considering to buy a microphone, since I am still using a Shure PG58 and I'm performing live more an more with my band, so I'm thinking about an upgrade.

As a singer I like to change my styles often, being often compared (as people always like to compare you with something) with Nick Cave, Johnny Cash, Jack White,  Robert Smith (cure), Mike Patton, Brian Molko (placebo), Beth Gibbons (portishead), Zack de la Rocha (rage against the machine)....

In addition, I like to move around the stage and I do sometimes sing away or pretty close to the micro (sometimes, I even cover the micro with one hand to give it a kind of megaphone effect)...

I do not like to use effects (with the exception of reverb and echo) as I try often to make those effects using my voice.

This said, can you suggest some microphones. I am keen to make an investment on something great and durable (below $500).

Thanks in advance.
djSicko

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »

Hi,

I am considering to buy a microphone

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
Re: what micro would better suit me
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 05:08:06 AM »

Hey Sergio, are you looking for a wired mic or wireless?
Do you have any shops close by to try out a few mic's?
What do you like / dislike about your current mic?
Mic's can be very personal so expect lots of different suggestions.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Sergio Diogo

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 10:49:52 AM »

Hi Callan,

thanks for the reply.

I guess that with my current micro I have the impression that sometimes I need to yell to be heard, like if I sometimes, I need to add an extra effort to deliver what I want.

I do not like to use effects or any other gear.. so, I'm looking for a micro that will be able to deliver what I produce with my voice naturally and that allows me to do that without having to add an extra effort on it... if this makes any sense :)

Regards,
Sérgio

Jay Marr

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »

Shure Beta 58 and a compressor for your PA.

Mal Brown

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 02:24:36 PM »

Is the mic hand held or on a stand ?  Wired or wireless ?

If stand mounted and wired, and you forget about the hand cupping the mic thing unless is it extremely low stage volume, the Audix VX-5 condenser mic would be worth an audition.  It is brite so I roll the highs off a bit.

My band and I sing on them and love them.  They have a very large sweet spot.   Can sing full voice 5 to 6 inches back or falsetto and breathy right up close.  Very little proximity effect so it's always my voice.  It has made me a better singer by opening up new technique that I could not have used on my previous vocal mic's...

That said, when selecting a new mic.  I start with 5 or 6 that I am interested in, all on stands all in a monitor mix and I walk between the stands singing.  In general one mic will win out.  After a couple of years on the vx-5, I don't feel the need to change.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 08:17:48 AM »

Hi Callan,

thanks for the reply.

I guess that with my current micro I have the impression that sometimes I need to yell to be heard, like if I sometimes, I need to add an extra effort to deliver what I want.

I do not like to use effects or any other gear.. so, I'm looking for a micro that will be able to deliver what I produce with my voice naturally and that allows me to do that without having to add an extra effort on it... if this makes any sense :)

Regards,
Sérgio
Sounds like you need more gain/output.   A good mic for high gain before feedback issues is the Audix OM7. 

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 11:51:39 AM »

Is this a problem with intelligabilty (clarity), or just not "cutting though"?

-Dennis

Scott Bolt

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 12:20:01 PM »

I am not familiar with the higher priced microphones; however, I would suggest the ND microphones from EV (pick your poison) or the Sennheiser e835.  The OM7 does indeed give great gain before feedback if feedback is a big issue for you, but I have always felt it sacrificed sound quality a bit to do so.

There are better microphones than the ones I have listed; however, even these are a huge step up from your PG.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 07:10:29 AM »

Hey Sérgio, I would try and audition the sm58, e835, e935 and any others mentioned in this thread if you can. Your pg series mic is towards the lower end of the scale and you should find improvement in any of the suggested mic's.

But telling us more about your setup could also prove helpful.
Like, do you have a good monitor, do you have any feedback issues, how loud is your stage, do you share a monitor with anybody else, pics of your stage, etc.

Sometime little things make a huge difference. My favourite one is point the monitor at your head. Sounds simple but works wonders.

The more info you can provide about the problems you face, the better suggestions you will get here.
Cheers,

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 07:10:29 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.