ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I be able to find Sennheiser "B" band gear cheap now?  (Read 1884 times)

Mark Olsen

• Canberra, Australia
Should I be able to find Sennheiser "B" band gear cheap now?
« on: October 02, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »

So I'm currently living in the US but heading back home to Australia soon.
I know the FCC 600Mhz auction is hurting the US right now, but there doesn't appear to be any movement on this front in Australia just yet. We went through a big sell off of the 700Mhz about 3-4 years ago.

This should mean, that I can buy a bunch of "obsolete" 600Mhz systems and take them home and all will be good ...

However, I can't seem to find any.

Everything on eBay etc, is either selling at full price new, or seemingly high prices for second hand gear. I know that people are probably taking advantage of the trade-in deals, is that why I can't find anything?

I'm just looking to expand my Sennheiser EW300 rig with a few more systems if I can find them at the right price.

Mark

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Should I be able to find Sennheiser "B" band gear cheap now?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »

"Obsolete," but not yet "illegal" -- that's the kicker. Since we're only in barely a year since the spectrum auctions were announced, and then completed successfully, with the FCC making their timeline(s) known-- and the rebates have only been rolling for a few months now-- I ASSUme that the larger users are spreading their purchases out over a bit (unless someone like T-Mobile is pressuring them sooner!) or they already made movement to sell & replace their 600MHz gear over the past couple of years, as the rumors started.

On the other end of the spectrum (pun intended) the smaller users who *would* take advantage of the rebates are probably either waiting as long as possible to change out, or (and unfortunately, this was common with the 700MHz upgrade of 2010) are just ignoring it. Just a couple of months ago, I encountered another production company with Shure UHF series that was in 700MHz.......

Where you note the "selling for full price new," is a direct result of the manufacturers not ending MAP restrictions on product. For example, my email from Shure announcing that the UHF-R was discontinued? "Available to order while supplies last, and MAP pricing will remain." So a big retailer (think FC, Sweetwater, etc) might have a bunch of systems in affected frequency ranges still in stock, but since it's brand new product (not an open box return, demo unit, B-stock, etc) they are still limited by that MAP. That being said, MAP policies limit only the DISPLAYED price. You are not restricted from SELLING for less- you just cannot ADVERTISE it. So, if you see something you want, call them up, "Hey, leaving the country soon, these freqs are soon to be illegal, can you check with the boss and see if you can cut me a deal? Cash in hand." Who know what might happen!

-Ray

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Should I be able to find Sennheiser "B" band gear cheap now?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.