Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Gym Speaker Setup - Project Completed merged

(1/20) > >>

Robert Weaver:
We are looking for new speakers for our gym. The only option that was given was to mount speakercraft cinema one profile aim speakers.  There will be 6 of these in three pairs.  Each pair I believe will be a stereo configuration. The gym is 100’x75’x28’. The whole goal in this was to get better speech reinforcement.  The company that quoted this system specializes in Home theatres. These speakers will be place behind the stage when we do VBS. We use 5-6 mics at any one time during VBS.  I personally think this system will be a disaster and isn’t going to work.  Hanging speakers or speakers on a stand is not an option.  I’ve already told them this is going to be a feedback nightmare and trying to overcome 500 screaming kids isn’t going to happen.  And the cost for this system is a little over $7K! 

David Sturzenbecher:

--- Quote from: Robert Weaver on October 01, 2017, 08:23:33 PM ---We are looking for new speakers for our gym. The only option that was given was to mount speakercraft cinema one profile aim speakers.  There will be 6 of these in three pairs.  Each pair I believe will be a stereo configuration. The gym is 100’x75’x28’. The whole goal in this was to get better speech reinforcement.  The company that quoted this system specializes in Home theatres. These speakers will be place behind the stage when we do VBS. We use 5-6 mics at any one time during VBS.  I personally think this system will be a disaster and isn’t going to work.  Hanging speakers or speakers on a stand is not an option.  I’ve already told them this is going to be a feedback nightmare and trying to overcome 500 screaming kids isn’t going to happen.  And the cost for this system is a little over $7K!

--- End quote ---

Robert,
Why is this your only option?

Why is hanging speakers not an option?

While you need to run from this proposed solution, $7k for a typical gym install is super cheap.  I would start your budget at roughly double that for quality components.   Can you tell us a little more about your setups though, i.e. Seating locations, stage locations, and other uses besides VBS, such as basketball or other assemblies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Robert Weaver:

--- Quote from: David Sturzenbecher on October 01, 2017, 08:38:41 PM ---Robert,
Why is this your only option?

Why is hanging speakers not an option?

While you need to run from this proposed solution, $7k for a typical gym install is super cheap.  I would start your budget at roughly double that for quality components.   Can you tell us a little more about your setups though, i.e. Seating locations, stage locations, and other uses besides VBS, such as basketball or other assemblies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

--- End quote ---

They are afraid of speakers falling from being hit by balls. I was told that in wall speakers are the only option that is acceptable.  For VBS it’s setup in a fan shape to cover the whole basketball court. VBS is the main even in the gym.  We do junior church there, but it’s only on one end inside the 3 point line.   The stage is 24x16. It’s set off the wall about 4’.  One of the options I have provided was mounting a Renkus Heinz Iconyx on the back wall.  I was told that in wall was the only option and that wasn’t going to go.

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Robert Weaver on October 01, 2017, 08:23:33 PM --- There will be 6 of these in three pairs.  Each pair I believe will be a stereo configuration. The gym is 100’x75’x28’. The whole goal in this was to get better speech reinforcement.  The company that quoted this system specializes in Home theatres. These speakers will be place behind the stage when we do VBS. We use 5-6 mics at any one time during VBS. 

--- End quote ---
I would run as fast as I can-for several reasons.

What is the layout of the 3 sets of speakers vs the audience?

The idea of 3 "stereo" setups is completely wrong

Placing the speakers behind the stage is WRONG-ESPECIALLY with kids and mics.

7K is really to low when you consider the number of speakers, installation, alignment etc.

You are correct, this is not going to work and will be pretty much a waste of time and money.

David Sturzenbecher:

--- Quote from: Robert Weaver on October 01, 2017, 08:59:18 PM ---They are afraid of speakers falling from being hit by balls. I was told that in wall speakers are the only option that is acceptable.  For VBS it’s setup in a fan shape to cover the whole basketball court. VBS is the main even in the gym.  We do junior church there, but it’s only on one end inside the 3 point line.   The stage is 24x16. It’s set off the wall about 4’.  One of the options I have provided was mounting a Renkus Heinz Iconyx on the back wall.  I was told that in wall was the only option and that wasn’t going to go.

--- End quote ---

Can I take a guess at something.  The guy proposing these "speakercraft" speakers....is he on whatever board is calling the shots?  or is it his friend? Here is a good article which seems applicable to your situation...http://audiosystemsgroup.com/3Times.pdf

If a speaker falls from getting hit by a ball, your installer has serious problems.  Show your people this video....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d0NIqoIqBg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version