ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: "Ten of the Greatest PA Amps Ever"  (Read 32433 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: "Ten of the Greatest PA Amps Ever"
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2017, 10:06:37 PM »

30k really - you gotta have a backup.
(two is one and one is none logic)
Too many eggs in one basket.
M
Gotta admit, loosing 8 channels in one shot is a tough strategy to support.
I couldn't, and to have a "backup rack" in the truck, with conventional amps and needed processing would cost close to half of a spare X8.
Scrambled, or fried? want coffee with that?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

George Powell

• http://www.gpaudio.net
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2017, 02:52:18 PM »

Yamaha P2200 ( I still have mine from 1983 and it runs fine)

I have one of these powering my studio monitors. Needs a little tap once in a while to make the meter work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clair i212
Lab Gruppen
Versarray
VRX
LS9
X32
www.gpaudio.net

State College, Pa 16803

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2017, 02:59:20 PM »

30k really - you gotta have a backup.
(two is one and one is none logic)
Too many eggs in one basket.
M

Buy two X4 then :)

Been using this for a couple of years, not a single failure.
If you start to do the mats on what this amp can do VS the amount of $$$ it costs, it's the cheapest amp on the market. Even if you go conservative and buy 2 X4 it's still a good value.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2017, 03:16:08 PM »

If you start to do the mats on what this amp can do VS the amount of $$$ it costs, it's the cheapest amp on the market. Even if you go conservative and buy 2 X4 it's still a good value.

Maybe in your market. Last I checked, a pair of PLM20k44 came up cheaper than a single X8. Now you are 4U and it current limits at 2ohms, but add in that lake processing and it's definitely another option worth looking at.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2017, 04:11:51 AM »

Powersofts DSP is these days second to none and with the new Smaart integration it can do more than most DSPs on the market in addition to being a great amplifier. 2x PLM20k44 is more expensive last time I checked.

And it's owned by someone that actually cares about the product they make as an added bonus.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2017, 10:55:41 AM »

Powersofts DSP is these days second to none and with the new Smaart integration it can do more than most DSPs on the market in addition to being a great amplifier. 2x PLM20k44 is more expensive last time I checked.

And it's owned by someone that actually cares about the product they make as an added bonus.

In my opinion the DSP user interface on Lab Gruppen is a deal breaker -- it's that bad. Powersoft, while a little slow to load and goofy here and there, is totally usable, and kind of cheerful.

On big 8 channel amps, yes, a single failure can take out 8 channels. But I'm guessing most of these amps go into very large installs, such as stadiums, where they are not alone in the rack and there may be a dedicated spare. In that situation they are a good deal, as Helge says, both in the cost of the amps and the smaller required support structure.

I have a smaller 8 channel Powersoft in a 3U plastic rack that I can easily lift with one hand. Talk about a lot of processing power and flexibility in a very compact package. I use it to power monitors and entire small gigs. If it goes down, I am screwed however, and will be scrambling to reconfigure other amps and will have a partial system. Tradeoffs...

--Frank 
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2017, 12:52:22 PM »

Helge,
Granted the Powersoft X4 is amazing in terms of all aspects of technical performance,
but compared to the $$ per watt equation, the Behringer NU-4 6000 has it beat by a huge margin.
Powersoft X4, 5200 watts x 4=20,800/$5850.00 = $.28 per watt.
Behringer NU4-6000, 1500 watts x 4= 6000/$350.00 =$.058 per watt, about 1/5 the cost.

Having owned or used most of the "old school" amps previously suggested for "top ten", I have watched from the Phase Linear (Flame-Linear) days where the $1 per watt barrier was finally broken, then slowly migrated into the $.5 per watt region over decades, and progressed down from there.

At about six pennies per watt, and only 12.4 pounds, using a fraction of the power of any of the "classics" for far more output, the Behringer NU4-6000 makes my top 10.

The twitchy meters on the Yamaha P-2200, and it's decent sound even when they were stuck all the way to the right does make me recall some "glory days", but the nostalgia fades when I think of the cost and weight of all those beasts.

Art

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:55:21 PM by Art Welter »

Gus Housen

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2017, 07:10:38 PM »

I have a Nu 6000 which I will say is ridiculously cheap and is the golden boy of the ankle biter market, I know a couple guys who send out a I pad control mixer and 5 of these as regular kit. I have a/b these to a macro 2400 and they don't have the balls the 2400 has from a listening perspective. But the weight ratio/S money is impossible to beat. But they have almost no resale value either. I got both of mine used for $150 each.

Whats interesting of all the early pro amps ( excluding the rebadged heil and the Mcintosh) The P2200 and the p2201 probably at this time have the best resale value if they are complete. I sold a P2201 ( The only 2201 I had, at one time I had 6 or so p2200's) and was surprised a year ago I got $400. I had loaned it to a buddy for his coffee shop 20 years ago and he finally gave it back when he closed. I figured I would get maybe a $100 as in 1999/2000 I was getting about $200 each which is what I had paid in 92/93 when all the "big Guys" were Dumping these.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2017, 09:21:06 PM »

Any of the Souncraftsmen (before the MTX merger).

MikeHarris

« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2017, 10:41:24 AM »

Slightly off topic is the destructive combination of the Soundcraftsman graphic EQ and the DC300. The Crown would cook speakers if the EQ turned on after the amp..or the cord kicked out then replugged.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2017, 10:41:24 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.