ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Crown XTi 6002 - 6,000 Watts - but only at 1KHz?  (Read 25390 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Crown XTi 6002 - 6,000 Watts - but only at 1KHz?
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »

[DC has no "frequency".

DC has frequyency of 0Hz  ;)
Frequency means "cycles".

Zero in this case is not a number, but rather a meaning of "nothing".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Allred

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2017, 03:24:44 PM »

[DC has no "frequency".

DC has frequyency of 0Hz  ;)

Is -60hz just 60hz 180 deg out of phase?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »

Is -60hz just 60hz 180 deg out of phase?
How do you have less than zero cycles?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »

You won't hear missing notes, because the second harmonic dominates. You also won't hear the 31 Hz low B fundamental, as the 12 dB per octave roll off of the sealed SVT puts the fundamental an additional 12 dB down from what it could be.
I've found that this can vary depending on the instrument, player and even more importantly...the playing technique being utilized.

I have played my bass DI'd (Radial JDV) into my mixer and utilized the onboard RTA to see what frequencies dominate. Fingerstyle playing tends to have an emphasis on the 2nd harmonic with the fundamental varying from -3 to -10db. A double thumb technique actually flips that and the fundamental is up over the harmonics by at least 3db.

A bass player can't compete with the mid-bass of drums and Marshall stacks without further muddying up the mix in a small room, but playing loud clean fundamentals allows them to hear (and feel) the fundamentals without needing to kill in the low-mid to compete.

Art

The "and feel" part is where most non-bass players (and even some bass players) miss the boat. Feeling the "sonic weight" of the fundamental can be critical with some playing styles. For me it's as important as being able to hear my natural voice clearly in the monitors to be able to sing well. As well as I can sing, anyway.

David Allred

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2017, 09:00:53 AM »

How do you have less than zero cycles?

The same way you have less that zero money? ;)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2017, 06:35:03 PM »

You won't hear missing notes, because the second harmonic dominates. You also won't hear the 31 Hz low B fundamental, as the 12 dB per octave roll off of the sealed SVT puts the fundamental an additional 12 dB down from what it could be.

A bass player can't compete with the mid-bass of drums and Marshall stacks without further muddying up the mix in a small room, but playing loud clean fundamentals allows them to hear (and feel) the fundamentals without needing to kill in the low-mid to compete.

Art

Bingo. We have a wiener.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jeff Schoonover1

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »

Art
This.  A thousand times - this. Thank you, Art Welter.
It may seem paradoxical, but this rig will allow my bass and other members' guitars drums live together more harmoniously.  If anything, now I can play at less 'volume' and yet still 'hear' and 'feel' more.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:57:27 PM by Jeff Schoonover1 »

Jeff Schoonover1

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2017, 08:00:46 PM »

The "and feel" part is where most non-bass players (and even some bass players) miss the boat. Feeling the "sonic weight" of the fundamental can be critical with some playing styles. For me it's as important as being able to hear my natural voice clearly in the monitors to be able to sing well. As well as I can sing, anyway.
Many people feel this way (pun intended).  It took me about twenty gigs to get used to playing with IEM's only, but once I really got it, I can assure you that you can play just as effectively with nothing other than ear monitors.  Think about studio - most guys just record with a pair of cans, myself included.
It's nice to 'feel,' but not necessary.  Still, where the circumstances allow, I will have my new box there, because feeling it is fun!

Jeff Schoonover1

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »

Incidentally, I did end up going with an XTi 6002.  I got a smokin' deal on a brand new with warranty one at a used price.  I'm also quite confident now that it will provide all I'll ever need, even with this Goliath, so thank you all for the insights and opinions.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2017, 10:41:14 AM »

Within the last year I've moved to in ears for monitoring as well, and it's been fantastic. But in a live band situation I still need to feel some air moving from my rig in order to be comfortable and play my best. I suspect that the ultimate solution for me is to get a shaker platform like the Tecamp Bass Board.

Studio playing seems to be completely different from my perspective. I've done the vast majority of recording with just headphones, but I'm not directly adjacent to a loud drummer and guitarist like I am in a live situation. For me it boils down to whether I can 'feel' what I'm playing over what other's are playing.

Keep us posted on how the amp works out. I've moved to micro amps nowadays but for almost 20 years my live rig was a Demeter tube preamp and a Crown Macrotech 2402. ~1500watts bridged into 4 - 12" cabs. Headroom is a beautiful thing.

Many people feel this way (pun intended).  It took me about twenty gigs to get used to playing with IEM's only, but once I really got it, I can assure you that you can play just as effectively with nothing other than ear monitors.  Think about studio - most guys just record with a pair of cans, myself included.
It's nice to 'feel,' but not necessary.  Still, where the circumstances allow, I will have my new box there, because feeling it is fun!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2017, 10:41:14 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.