ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Crown XTi 6002 - 6,000 Watts - but only at 1KHz?  (Read 25388 times)

Jeff Schoonover1

Crown XTi 6002 - 6,000 Watts - but only at 1KHz?
« on: September 26, 2017, 09:24:39 PM »

It used to be that Crown set the gold standard across the board. One of their big selling points was that they guaranteed that an amp would put out a minimum of X watts, from 20-20KHz continuously.
 Fast forward to now, their top-end stuff is competitive, but others have bested even that.  In the DJ and small PA market, we have the XTi series.  I have an XTi 4000 for mids, and am pretty happy with it.  About 3KW, and DSP for a good price.  But - the specs aren't measured as they once were.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of an XTi 6002 for a dual 18" sub I just built.  The XTi specifies 6,000 watts - BUT ONLY AT 1 kHz!  What does this mean?  Is my amp only going to do 3,000 watts at 40 Hz where I need it?  Am I getting gypped and ought to shop for something else?

Has anyone measured or know the math on what these amps will 'really' do in a musical spectrum range?  What will an XTi 6002 put out continuously from 30 Hz to 100 Hz?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:29:45 PM »

It used to be that Crown set the gold standard

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Jeff Schoonover1

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 09:40:58 PM »

Done.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Rick Powell

Re: Crown XTi 6002 - 6,000 Watts - but only at 1KHz?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »

Not only do you need a test to see what wattage it will put out at your desired frequency, you also need to know how long it will hold it before the inevitable current sag. For some styles of music like EDM with sustained bass notes. this is more important than other genres. I will tell you that when I swapped my xti6000 for an ITech 6000, the difference was not subtle, and it seemed to have plenty reserve current where the xti seemed to be limited by whatever instantaneous current it could draw from the wall and not much more.

Jeff Schoonover1

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 10:15:17 PM »

Not only do you need a test to see what wattage it will put out at your desired frequency, you also need to know how long it will hold it before the inevitable current sag. For some styles of music like EDM with sustained bass notes. this is more important than other genres. I will tell you that when I swapped my xti6000 for an ITech 6000, the difference was not subtle, and it seemed to have plenty reserve current where the xti seemed to be limited by whatever instantaneous current it could draw from the wall and not much more.
I was afraid of this. So basically, if you have a very stable 15-20-amp AC source, you might get bursts of 6,000 watts at 1K...   Swell.

I have been looking at used I-Tech 8K's, but they're discontinued by Crown, and I've read plenty of horror stories - plus apparently, they're incredibly difficult/expensive to fix.  I'm just a po' musician, not a corporate sound company.  I need something for about $1,500 max, not $3K.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 10:33:07 PM »

I was afraid of this. So basically, if you have a very stable 15-20-amp AC source, you might get bursts of 6,000 watts at 1K...   Swell.

I have been looking at used I-Tech 8K's, but they're discontinued by Crown, and I've read plenty of horror stories - plus apparently, they're incredibly difficult/expensive to fix.  I'm just a po' musician, not a corporate sound company.  I need something for about $1,500 max, not $3K.

Are you doing EDM with *sustained* full power output requirements?  I ask because LIVE music, with humans playing instruments and singing, has a peak-to-average ratio of >20dB, and those peaks are typically of relatively short duration, on the order of 20ms or so. 

Building amplifiers that can deliver full rated power indefinitely is tremendously expensive these days when the market for power amps in general does not require such performance.  The amp manufacturers have responded by building to a lower duty cycle standard and lowering their prices (remember when $1/watt was cheap?) accordingly.

As for the power output spec at 1kHz, that's because it's an easy mark to hit.  In general terms the power supply can only recharge at a rate equal to or lower than the AC line frequency, so the lower the reproduced frequency at greater magnitude, the lower the output will be.  This is not limited ot the XTi, either, it's one of the those laws of physics things that eventually customers decided they would not pay higher equipment prices to compensate for.

That all said, find an amp that puts out even 2000w/ch and power up your subs... and let it run for a couple of minutes or until the speakers catch fire.

The fact is that your subs will NOT dissipate 3000 Watts of heat, nor will they mechanically survive that power at subwoofer frequencies for very long.

While I understand the confusion these market-based power specifications have created (you're neither first nor will be last), you are tilting at windmills, Mr. Quixote.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:56:17 PM »

Keep in mind the 6000watts at 1K Crown claims is in 4ohm bridged mode

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 10:57:59 PM »

Keep in mind the 6000watts at 1K Crown claims is in 4ohm bridged mode

For about 50ms or less...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 11:03:20 PM »

Dave Guilford

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 08:43:49 AM »

I have a pair of xti6002 amps.  For a while one ran a pair of Srx725 tops, and I had a pair of itech amps running subs.   A few weeks ago I reconfigured the amp rack and since the. It's been an itech on tops, and each xti6002 bridges into a SRX728 sub. 

Screw the numbers you're reading.  The subs go loud with a 6002 bridged into each!   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 08:43:49 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.