ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Used Turbosound for installation?  (Read 3405 times)

Nick Dingman

Used Turbosound for installation?
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:23:01 PM »

I manage a small performing arts center that seats about 500 but has a large stage in a wide, somewhat shallow and decently live / room.  We were built in 2000, and have since upgraded everything but our original PA, which consists of 4 Renkus-Heinz TRC-121s (front and delay), and 2 blown Renkus-Heinz BPS12-1 subs (we supplement with 2 QSC E18SWs on the ground).  We've identified that these speakers are not great, and wanted to save up some considerable funds to upgrade.

A local broadway house recently did an upgrade, and has some Turbosound TQ-440s and TCS-215 subs available, along with all the processing and amps, and professional tuning and design available for a very low cost.  They're offering with a warranty and with tuning provided by their head audio engineer, so I trust that they care that it is working.  It's very attractive to me as it's currently within our budget that's available now, as opposed to waiting a few years to afford something new.  There are additional benefits that include adding a program feed to our dressing rooms and lobby.

I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible on this system.  We do a mix of theatrical, dance/playback, and live music.  Live music is probably our biggest concern.

Thoughts, opinions?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Used Turbosound for installation?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 06:30:41 PM »

Thoughts, opinions...

Welcome to the Forums! We would love to help you through this process, but alas, per the Rules of Participation on here, your Display Name does need to be your Real, Full Name. Would you mind popping back into your Profile and updating your Display Name to reflect your Real, Full Name?

Thanks!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Nick Dingman

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 07:09:26 PM »

Thoughts, opinions...

Welcome to the Forums! We would love to help you through this process, but alas, per the Rules of Participation on here, your Display Name does need to be your Real, Full Name. Would you mind popping back into your Profile and updating your Display Name to reflect your Real, Full Name?

Thanks!

-Ray

Done!  Sorry

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 08:26:17 AM »

I manage a small performing arts center that seats about 500 but has a large stage in a wide, somewhat shallow and decently live / room.  We were built in 2000, and have since upgraded everything but our original PA, which consists of 4 Renkus-Heinz TRC-121s (front and delay), and 2 blown Renkus-Heinz BPS12-1 subs (we supplement with 2 QSC E18SWs on the ground).  We've identified that these speakers are not great, and wanted to save up some considerable funds to upgrade.

A local broadway house recently did an upgrade, and has some Turbosound TQ-440s and TCS-215 subs available, along with all the processing and amps, and professional tuning and design available for a very low cost.  They're offering with a warranty and with tuning provided by their head audio engineer, so I trust that they care that it is working.  It's very attractive to me as it's currently within our budget that's available now, as opposed to waiting a few years to afford something new.  There are additional benefits that include adding a program feed to our dressing rooms and lobby.

I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible on this system.  We do a mix of theatrical, dance/playback, and live music.  Live music is probably our biggest concern.

Thoughts, opinions?

If rider acceptability is not a concern, I say - Do it.
These boxes were designed when Turbosound was at it's peak.  They borrow heavily from the larger Flash/Flood boxes.  We have a half dozen of the TQ445/425 systems which is essentially what you are looking at with minor tweaks. IMHO it would be an excellent choice for the room you describe.  These were full on high end pro boxes built for the most demanding applications.  They sound excellent.  Vocal articulation is very good and natural.  They will get VERY loud if required. This system excels at live music reproduction.  The response at the edge of their horizontal pattern perhaps is not as smooth as some newer very expensive point source boxes.  They require a little fiddling in their horizontal placement if you are going to use multiple boxes in a cluster.  This is a "feature" of every speaker system from this era and is hardly a deal breaker.  Careful aiming of the install (especially inside where reflections will come into play) should minimize the interaction to the point where it is pretty much a non issue.

We have 7 different speaker systems in our warehouse to choose from.  If we are doing a small 500 peep show the TQ445/425 remains our favorite system to use.

To summarize, you can buy a complete Turbo TQ440/TCS215 system with speakers, amps and processors that has been installed and successfully used in a Broadway theater.  The seller will provide their head audio engineer to design and tune the installation for your room.  The seller will warranty the system/installation.  Their price allows you to go forward with this plan today......

Sounds like a really good plan to me.
Best of luck.

http://www.inphase.at/documents/docs/TURBO_tq440.pdf

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/6358-TurbosoundTCS215CDataSheet.pdf
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:23:24 PM by Steve Payne »
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Nick Dingman

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:51:38 AM »

If rider acceptability is not a concern, I say - Do it.
These boxes were designed when Turbosound was at it's peak.  They borrow heavily from the larger the Flash/Flood boxes.  We have a half dozen of the TQ445/425 systems which is essentially what you are looking at with minor tweaks. IMHO it would be an excellent choice for the room you describe.  These were full on high end pro boxes built for the most demanding applications.  They sound excellent.  Vocal articulation is very good and natural.  They will get VERY loud if required. This system excels at live music reproduction.  The response at the edge of their horizontal pattern perhaps is not as smooth as some newer very expensive point source boxes.  They require a little fiddling in their horizontal placement if you are going to use multiple boxes in a cluster.  This is a "feature" of every speaker system from this era and is hardly a deal breaker.  Careful aiming of the install (especially inside where reflections will come into play) should minimize the interaction to the point where it is pretty much a non issue.

We have 7 different speaker systems in our warehouse to choose from.  If we are doing a small 500 peep show the TQ445/425 remains our favorite system to use.

To summarize, you can buy a complete Turbo TQ440/TCS215 system with speakers, amps and processors that has been installed and successfully used in a Broadway theater.  The seller will provide their head audio engineer to design and tune the installation for your room.  The seller will warranty the system/installation.  Their price allows you to go forward with this plan today......

Sounds like a really good plan to me.
Best of luck.

http://www.inphase.at/documents/docs/TURBO_tq440.pdf

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/6358-TurbosoundTCS215CDataSheet.pdf

Thanks Steve, that's exactly what I was thinking, but wanted to see if anyone has a reason we shouldn't do it.

In our venue, we're working with acts that are not terribly picky about equipment details, as we're looking at smaller acts.  Most we've had state that our current system is better than most (which is a bit sad).

chuck clark

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 05:39:30 PM »

Thanks Steve, that's exactly what I was thinking, but wanted to see if anyone has a reason we shouldn't do it.

I have a reason- I would like to buy this system! Lol
What Mr. Payne has told you is spot on. The only thing I could think of to add is because you said your primary concern is for live music- not theater.  215 boxes might be just a tad shy on low end for the latest music styles. Was that a single pair of 215's on each side?  With the simple addition of a couple 218's per side  this system could do EDM -or give you big kick drum lows without straining the 215's too much. (you mentioned having blown a couple subs already-it would be a shame to blow those nice turbo 215's so...)
If you do NOT buy this system, please forward me contact information as I would be seriously interested if the price is right!
Have a great day! Chuck
Enjoy! (don't forget to use a good comp/limiter on your main out's to prevent accidents)

Pete Jones

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 09:44:40 AM »

Sounds great, these are a really great system, they don't seem to make point source boxes like this any more.... I have had excellent results with them, for speech as well as music.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 09:44:40 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.