ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital snakes and compatibility  (Read 16217 times)

Sean Barry

Digital snakes and compatibility
« on: September 23, 2017, 11:44:29 AM »

Digital snakes and compatibility

I have a Qu 32 Chrome and am considering the move to a digital snake and stage boxes. ProCo has some offerings for the snake

Musician's Friend SKU J00647 000001000 ProCo 150' cat5 $107
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/pro-co-ethercon-ethercon-cat5e-4p-shielded/j00647000001000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjwjJjOBRBVEiwAfvnvBP2XVHclNSbDNjtsDydOAStA55KSBRRqOEeVKOi43KZr0i8V-cQp-BoCV2cQAvD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^221957295827-device^c-plaid^376911720927-sku^J00647000001000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

Sweet Water ProCo 150' cat5 $220  Manufacturer part#  C270201-150F
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EtherShld150
or this
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Ethercon150    $169
This would be used indoors and out for live mixes of bands.
     I can't see the differences? As far as the pricing? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 11:50:07 AM by Sean Barry »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Digital snakes and compatibility
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 02:41:01 PM »

I have a TMB Proplex from Mike Pyle that I use with my GLD80 to either a AR2412 or a AB168. I got a 100' model and if I were doing it again I would get 150'.
Initially it was a bit stiff but by the time I got 4 or 5 gigs on it, it loosened up and made for easy over/under coiling.

I would buy it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 03:26:44 PM »

ProPlex is great stuff; we use one from a company called Quabbin that is rugggedized and works well. It's CAT6a, but there are other offerings.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 09:46:47 PM »

These three cables all seem to be solid core, not stranded. Solid tends to be stiffer than stranded, and is not made for repeated bending. I would buy a stranded one.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 04:26:22 PM »

These three cables all seem to be solid core, not stranded. Solid tends to be stiffer than stranded, and is not made for repeated bending. I would buy a stranded one.

Stranded CAT cable has much more reactance, and is generally not recommended unless it is limited to short runs.  Some CAT snake systems have stranded for short runs ("tails") out of the cable reels (where there would be a lot of flexing) while using solid for the long runs.  It varies for type and from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 04:39:33 PM »

Stranded CAT cable has much more reactance, and is generally not recommended unless it is limited to short runs.  Some CAT snake systems have stranded for short runs ("tails") out of the cable reels (where there would be a lot of flexing) while using solid for the long runs.  It varies for type and from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Best solution is fiber for long runs and stranded for patch cables.

Mac

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 07:10:56 PM »

I was under the understanding that if the cable was "cat" certified, the actual makeup was irrelevant to performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 07:41:39 PM »

I was under the understanding that if the cable was "cat" certified, the actual makeup was irrelevant to performance.

What i have read is the max length for solid is 100m, for stranded it's around 80m. At those lengths I would want fiber anyway.

Mac

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 09:56:04 PM »

For 150 feet it's not a problem performance wise.

BTW all references to fiber are a bit uhmmm strange(?), considering we are talking about a QU32... Good luck connecting that.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:21:50 PM by Geert Friedhof »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 07:40:36 AM »

What i have read is the max length for solid is 100m, for stranded it's around 80m. At those lengths I would want fiber anyway.

Mac
For some of the boards under discussion, a fiber solution would exceed the cost of the mixer.

I run 200’ (60m) of stranded TMBProPlex with my GLDs without issue.  Haven’t needed anything longer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 07:40:36 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.