ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Managment Suggestions  (Read 3300 times)

Josh Weitkamp

Power Managment Suggestions
« on: September 22, 2017, 04:20:50 PM »

I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but I just want some suggestions on how some of you guys with powered systems run your power. As of now, I'm running two powered boxes for Foh tops and a pair of powered monitors. Just looking to see how some of you guys have streamlined setup and keep a clean stage. Pics invited.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Power Managment Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 04:25:19 PM »

I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but I just want some suggestions on how some of you guys with powered systems run your power. As of now, I'm running two powered boxes for Foh tops and a pair of powered monitors. Just looking to see how some of you guys have streamlined setup and keep a clean stage. Pics invited.

Many of us "lounge level" folks have tried endless permutations of preconfigured stringers and always came up empty.  Drop a quad box behind each stack and be done with it.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 06:47:06 PM »

Many of us "lounge level" folks have tried endless permutations of preconfigured stringers and always came up empty.  Drop a quad box behind each stack and be done with it.

^^^ This.

Quad boxes are your friend.  A box behind each stack, preferably on it's own AC circuit, is kind of the gold standard for small system work.  You may have to settle for silver or bronze in some venues.  :(

Also friends are "stringers" for downstage power for pedal boards, powered wedges, etc and upstage for guitar & bass amps, keyboard rigs, etc.  A stringer is a type of AC cord that has outlets spaced at intervals like 6 - 8 feet (more or less) and you just 'string' it across the up/down stage and plug it in (probably to a quad box that is powered from a wall outlet).  Scott's reference is to trying to build stringers to encompass multiple duties and many locations.  Success With Stingers kind of requires they be built to fit a certain range of stage sizes or specific & unchanging physical deployment of equipment.  If you have a fixed configuration, fine, but if you have to make changes for venues or clients you'll want to keep stringers simple and have ample quad boxes.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:50:12 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 06:49:50 PM »

^^^ This.

Quad boxes are your friend.  A box behind each stack, preferably on it's own AC circuit, is kind of the gold standard for small system work.  You may have to settle for silver or bronze in some venues.  :(

Also friends are "stringers" for downstage power for pedal boards, powered wedges, etc and upstage for guitar & bass amps, keyboard rigs, etc.  A stringer is a type of AC cord that has outlets spaced at intervals like 6 - 8 feet (more or less) and you just 'string' it across the up/down stage and plug it in (probably to a quad box that is powered from a wall outlet).

This^^^^^.. I do stringers as well..
I do try to find two circuits. One stack and front stringer on one. Backline and other stack on the 2nd
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:54:09 PM by Kemper Watson »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 08:48:32 PM »

Hi Josh, check out OA Windsor's line of products.  I use their products for all my simple power box needs.  Specifically, have a look at their PowerCon boxes.  They're what I use exclusively on my rigs.  With the PowerCon In/Out capabilities, you can have both the benefits of a stringer and a simple quad box.  My stock of SOOW is cut mostly to 10, 25, and 50ft lengths with a mixture of 5-15 and PowerCon ends, giving me a multitude of hookup options.  Just cut lengths to suit your needs and you'll be good to go.  Very flexible, reasonably affordable, and code compliant.  Hope this helps!

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:19:06 PM »

Last night to get a second circuit I had to run a cable across the floor in front of the food service pass. I waited until the kitchen closed then started to lay my cable, only to see the kitchen hand get a hose out and get water everywhere.. few more minutes and I got things dry and taped down my 15' cable, which got the lights and haze up and going.
Gig went well though - sometimes you gotta do what's gotta be done. It's Not always pretty at the bottom, but as long as it's safe..

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 12:15:55 AM »

I have 8 quad boxes with powercon in and out. Some have individual GCFI for the box, some do GCFI for itself plus downstream. Some are just quad boxes.
I gave a variety of powercon cables. 10', 15', & 25' do most of what I need.
I have a couple of outlet strips I have replaced the cord with a powercon inlet which I use at mix position. My distro has some powercon circuits for stage power and for my monitor amp rack.

I like powercon connectors. Inspectors seem to like em too. Oh, most of my power cables for gigs in public are #12 SOOW. Ya, some other gigs get SJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 12:39:23 AM »

I'll go against the grain a little and say that I have siamese cables for my FOH runs.  Although only my tops are self powered.  Subs just have speaker cables running to them.  If both were powered I'd probably do the quad box behind the stack recommended here.  For multiple mix versatility I've been running a power stringer across the front of the stage for the wedges.  Then I can daisy chain them together or run them separately as needed.  Sends come off the front line sub snake.  Same thing with the drum monitor.  I used to run a siamese cable to it, but now I've just picking power off the backline power stringer (usually the bass player it over there and only uses one or two outlets on the quad box) and then picking the send off the drum sub snake (use gender reversers for this since that gives me more versatility to consume all the sub snake channels with inputs or use one for the monitor send.  When I use sidefills, I typically use the siamese cables.  Which I've made up myself so that they have Edison outlets and the end and I can string them in series when necessary.  Then a short pigtail to the IEC connector.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 02:31:36 AM »

Thanks Tim for clarifying my writing.  Indeed my reference to stringers was to custom multifunction looms.  They were beyond a pain in the ass.

Festooning stringers,  even the molded SJ type are great for backline and powered monitors on small stages. Later stages get quads.  Power strips have been banished as thr power switch and poor quality don't align with our mission. It also leads to bad habits for the tech's.  The bars are our farm leauge and we expect quality work at all levels.

BTW,  don't fret I have been around production my entire adult life and I didn't know most of these things.  I just wish I could have all the money back I spent on crap power conditioners and cables so I could afford a could of trunks full of the OA Windsor stuff. 

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mal Brown

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 03:40:21 AM »

My B rig is 4 kw-181 and 2 K12 with 5 K12 and 2 k10 monitors.  I try for a quad on a dedictated circuit for each stack and run a contractor 'stringer for the monitors on a separate circuit and then another stringer for backline.

Sometimes I make do with the power available and hope for the best...
Funny but I did a lounge gig tonight on a decjpk in mid town.  80 amps on 4 circuits...  could have done it with a single 15...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 03:40:21 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.