ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lab Sub help  (Read 7755 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Lab Sub help
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 11:50:20 AM »

Maybe the guy was really precocious.....I mean, he sort of invented a "tapped (lab)horn"  ;D
Simply having the drivers other side exposed to the outside is NOT a tapped horn.

The details are how the sound from the other side of the driver will also load the horn.

Here is a link to the "basic operation" of the tapped horn

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danley/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/The-Tapped-Horn.pdf

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 11:55:41 AM »

Simply having the drivers other side exposed to the outside is NOT a tapped horn.

The details are how the sound from the other side of the driver will also load the horn.

Here is a link to the "basic operation" of the tapped horn

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danley/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/The-Tapped-Horn.pdf

Joking brother !!!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 12:27:59 PM »

That is funny !!!
Some guy actually built labhorns with NO rear covers  ?  Wow.. and they still made OK sound...wow..

Who knows what impedance that made.... at any freq...could have been near toaster oven Rdc, thru whole range lol...or not?

I really don't know what to make about labhorns vs today's offerings.
I built 4 by the original plans, pretty carefully. 
When i test them against the modern subs I have, orbitshifters, and a pair of DIY BMS 18"s,  it's hard not to give the labsubs the nod.  Against the OS, Labs are 3db more efficient, have smoother response, and go a little lower. But the OS does handle at least twice the power. Against the BMS 18"s, the labs are more efficient, but otherwise the pair of BMS rules.
Then I look at another highely regarded alternative, the TH-118. Doesn't seem any more efficient than the labsub, however, like the OS, it handles twice the power.  But phase is mixed up...inherent to tapped horns I think...

I've heard about the heating/compression problem with labhorns, but i didn't see any of that on a handful of gigs with them last summer. 
Maybe folks either pound them past reason, cause they stay clean sounding, or use a too high a freq low pass filter. Impedance says they will burn up quicker used over 95Hz than below I think.....
I wish i could get a true read on the heating prob, if there is one...

Because I'm in the middle of re-plotting subs.  Just built a boatload of mid-high capability, and need to build/buy subs to catch up.

I might actually end up building more labhorns,

...or building some DIY TH's or keystones,...or building more of the single BMS 18" BR's I that i REALLY like, .....or maybe even  buying TH-118s or OS's for resale value.

I need to get to at least an 8-10 labsub rig...will  restart from scratch if need be..damnit :)

I think you are close.  The LABhorn doesn't sound distressed until right before it dies and most users don't notice the power compression that is the indication you're out of gas.  Some users turned it up more until either the cone came apart or the voice coil burned up.  We've had limiter setting discussions re: the LABhorn in the past.

The LABs don't sound particularly good above 80Hz to me and I'd pick that has my LPF point to start with.

That Tom D's design holds up nicely after 15 years is a very good thing and shows how incremental improvements to performance can be.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »

I think you are close.  The LABhorn doesn't sound distressed until right before it dies and most users don't notice the power compression that is the indication you're out of gas.  Some users turned it up more until either the cone came apart or the voice coil burned up.  We've had limiter setting discussions re: the LABhorn in the past.

The LABs don't sound particularly good above 80Hz to me and I'd pick that has my LPF point to start with.

That Tom D's design holds up nicely after 15 years is a very good thing and shows how incremental improvements to performance can be.

Yeah, it's pretty cool the design has held up for so long.

I have to agree about their sound, I've always low passed them at 77-80Hz when I could.
In fact, thanks for mentioning that....I'd kinda forgot that.  Knocks them out of contention for increasing the sub herd.....

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty cool the design has held up for so long.

I have to agree about their sound, I've always low passed them at 77-80Hz when I could.
In fact, thanks for mentioning that....I'd kinda forgot that.  Knocks them out of contention for increasing the sub herd.....

As haystacked as subs are the acoustic crossover may be a half octave higher.  There are front loaded subs that have a high second harmonic content around 100-150Hz that do not seem to attract attention.  If you're already invested in the LABhorns I see no reason to abandon them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.