ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assisted Listening  (Read 1813 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Assisted Listening
« on: September 21, 2017, 03:27:34 PM »

One of my town clients is asking about assisted listening devices.
I am going to throw something together from my IEM stuff, but they have expressed interest in purchasing a system for the town.
Any recommendations?
Anything to steer away from?
Thanks all.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Hofmann

Re: Assisted Listening
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 03:55:20 PM »

I am going to throw something together from my IEM stuff, but they have expressed interest in purchasing a system for the town.
Any recommendations?
Thanks all.

Listen Technologies 72 mHz RF has worked well for me in several installs.
Scott Hofmann

Daniel Nickleski

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »

Listen or Williams are the brands to look at. Using IEM's is a VERY expensive way to do it. Deciding what system is needed would need to have a few questions asked.
- What is does the FM radio space look like in the area. Here in Chicago we will have very different needs than where others are looking to use the same system
- There are some digital unit out now that operate in the same space as wifi. They work great, but the range isn't the best.
- How many units are they looking to get?

We are one of the larger rental houses for assistive listening in the country, carrying both Williams and Listen. Feel free to reach out if you want to talk about a solution! daniel at soundworkpro.com

Any recommendations?
Thanks all.

David Buckley

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 04:41:45 PM »

My most local venue has a Williams IR system, works far better than I ever expected an IR system to do.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 08:45:16 PM »

Listen or Williams are the brands to look at. Using IEM's is a VERY expensive way to do it. Deciding what system is needed would need to have a few questions asked.
- What is does the FM radio space look like in the area. Here in Chicago we will have very different needs than where others are looking to use the same system
- There are some digital unit out now that operate in the same space as wifi. They work great, but the range isn't the best.
- How many units are they looking to get?

They're across the bay from San Francisco, so probably relatively congested.
I'm not sure how many listeners they want.
It's the first conversation and fact-finding.
I know the IEM isn't the way to go, but it will get their single listener for this weekend taken care of.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:35:38 PM »

The FCC has reserved space in the 72MHz and 216MHz bands for assisted listening services. They are frequency protected and other users won't be able to use it. So unless you have a lot of other assisted listening systems in the local area you shouldn't have much interference.

We're getting ready to buy a Listen Technologies iDSP RF72 system later this fall. much better solution than the line of sight limited IR systems with their shitty sound quality.

Both the Listen and Williams websites have ADA compliance calculators to tell you how many systems you need to provide based on the seating capacity of the venue.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 10:08:44 AM »

I've got a 72mhz listen tech system in a room now.  We're adding another room onto the building and will add another system there.  Listen does 30 day demos so I had them send out 5200 and 4200 series idsp packs and a transmitter so I could test out two systems at once and how it worked for frequency changing.  Both packs worked great, the 5200 would be super easy for end users to pick up and tune to whichever room they wanted.

We need 47 belt packs and 12 tcoil lanyards for ADA compliance and it's going to cost us WAY less with either beltpack option than doing an IEM based system would.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 10:08:44 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.