ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a secondary mic headset.  (Read 10775 times)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Suggestions for a secondary mic headset.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 10:31:57 PM »

Well you are not going to believe this - and if you do, you won't believe the results I am getting. I got a Pyle PMEM -S23... cost me $17.
I took a chance based on a couple of things I read online and I figured $17 wasn't much of a risk. Sound wise it is unbelievably good and compares to the Shure VERY favorably. So much so I use it all the time. Build quality is not so good and I don't think it would take any abuse. I have tried to buy more as back up but they stopped making them so that sucks. I did comment in another thread regarding this and was hoping to get another 1 or 2 of these but according to Pyle there isn't a substitute with a Shure connector so I suppose I'll be looking again..... sorry.

Debbie, there are various vendors that will put a TA4F end on a headworn mic.  Microphone Madness in Florida is one that I know of for certain that offers that service.  At least it is an option to ponder.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 10:35:55 PM »

Debbie, there are various vendors that will put a TA4F end on a headworn mic.  Microphone Madness in Florida is one that I know of for certain that offers that service.  At least it is an option to ponder.

Thanks Mark.... I might end up doing that. I'll see what I come across in my travels...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Ferreira

Suggestions for a secondary mic headset.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 07:55:03 AM »

Well you are not going to believe this - and if you do, you won't believe the results I am getting. I got a Pyle PMEM -S23... cost me $17.
I took a chance based on a couple of things I read online and I figured $17 wasn't much of a risk. Sound wise it is unbelievably good and compares to the Shure VERY favorably. So much so I use it all the time. Build quality is not so good and I don't think it would take any abuse. I have tried to buy more as back up but they stopped making them so that sucks. I did comment in another thread regarding this and was hoping to get another 1 or 2 of these but according to Pyle there isn't a substitute with a Shure connector so I suppose I'll be looking again..... sorry.

Thanks Debbie.

Interesting. I tried cheap $20.00 mics before, from Amazon, but feedback kicks in furiously, and singing into them right after singing through a DPA D:fine is demoralizing to say the least.

DPA as you may already know, used to be in the medical field doing hearing aids, before shifting to audio microphones, and their transducers are high quality and very linear.

Too bad they are so fragile and expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 09:10:55 AM by John Ferreira »
John Ferreira

David Allred

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »

I have tried to buy more as back up but they stopped making them so that sucks. I did comment in another thread regarding this and was hoping to get another 1 or 2 of these but according to Pyle there isn't a substitute with a Shure connector so I suppose I'll be looking again..... sorry.

WHAT?!  :o
I should have got another when I thought about.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »

Thanks Debbie.

Interesting. I tried cheap $20.00 mics before, from Amazon, but feedback kicks in furiously, and singing into them right after singing through a DPA D:fine is demoralizing to say the least.

DPA as you may already know, used to be in the medical field doing hearing aids, before shifting to audio microphones, and their transducers are high quality and very linear.

Too bad they are so fragile and expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get no more feedback with the Pyle than I have with any others in the past - in fact I get less than with the Shure. That would be a deal breaker for me because I am positioned in front of the PA and the feedback risk is greater for me dependent on where I am located at missing position.
I agree with 'You get what you pay for' but it depends on what you are willing to give up. With the Pyle, I give up name brand, quality of build and comfort of headband -but for me, these things do not matter as much as they might to someone else. Sound quality is darn good.
Name brand is irrelevant, quietly of build means I have to be very careful how it is handled and transported and I wear a hat at shows with the headband over the top so comfort doesn't matter either.
I have A/B'd the Pyle to the Shure ( which I realize is also not an expensive model) but it is clearer and suits my voice a little better.
It's a winner and I wish I could get something as good with better build quietly that isn't too expensive.
I seem to  only be able to ever find mics that do not sound any better than the Pyle for < $300 - and to get better quality sound and build that is noticeable, I'd have to spend more than I am willing to at this point.

I'd like to find a nice used headset mic perhaps....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 10:46:16 AM »

WHAT?!  :o
I should have got another when I thought about.

Yep - sorry David...
I contacted Pyle and they told me they are no longer made and they do not make a replacement right now. I wish I had purchased 4 or 5 of them myself.....

EDIT: The PMEM-S23 is and has been available for a while through Newegg but I am not sure I trust the seller based on what I can find online. You could try them....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:49:08 AM by Debbie Dunkley »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 10:57:55 AM »

This is the only one that compares but does not have the Shure connector.....(according to Pyle)
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLM31-Condenser-Microphone-Connector/dp/B00EUJF15G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527622462&sr=8-1&keywords=PLM31
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 11:02:47 AM by Debbie Dunkley »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 01:00:11 PM »

Yep - sorry David...
I contacted Pyle and they told me they are no longer made and they do not make a replacement right now. I wish I had purchased 4 or 5 of them myself.....

EDIT: The PMEM-S23 is and has been available for a while through Newegg but I am not sure I trust the seller based on what I can find online. You could try them....

My only complaint with Newegg is the slow DHL/USPS shipping and frankly, I could spend a little more and upgrade the shipping method.

I was buying stuff from Newegg before I became an Amazon customer and I still purchase from Newegg.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 05:18:34 PM »

I just bought 4 of these for demos or whatever. . .

http://www.pssl.com/AKG-EC81MD-Cocoa-Microlite-Earhook-Headset-Mic-s?utm_source=eblast&utm_medium=email&utm_content=web%20order%20confirmation&utm_campaign=commmerce%20haven

They should still be on sale for $49.95

I'll be lopping off whatever connector they come with and soldering on TA5F for Lectrosonics. There's a link to a Shure adapter on the sale page if you're not into solder.

What would be a good alternative under $200 for me to try?
(I would have to have the TA4f connector for my Shure pack).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 05:23:04 PM by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »

I just bought 4 of these for demos or whatever. . .

http://www.pssl.com/AKG-EC81MD-Cocoa-Microlite-Earhook-Headset-Mic-s?utm_source=eblast&utm_medium=email&utm_content=web%20order%20confirmation&utm_campaign=commmerce%20haven

They should still be on sale for $49.95

I'll be lopping off whatever connector they come with and soldering on TA5F for Lectrosonics. There's a link to a Shure adapter on the sale page if you're not into solder.

Thank you for the link.  I need some basic earworn mics for non-theater use where seeing it isn't a huge deal.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.