ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on using bass amp modellers?  (Read 4355 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Re: Thoughts on using bass amp modellers?
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 09:18:02 AM »

When a person has a conventional Bass amp / Speaker configuration and you take the D.I. out from the head instead of mic'ing the cabinet aren't you using a modeler of sort anyway? Yes depending on the room size and stage volume it could be just a blend but in larger setups with most of the sound coming from the Main PA your using a Modeler of sorts when using D.I. out on the head. Now when you the FOH person bring one in I'd just make sure its what the player wants.  1 band I do regularly uses his bass amp head with no speaker attached going to me for FOH and his IEM mix.  I see nothing wrong so long as everyone is in agreement.

Douglas R. Allen

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 01:03:07 PM »

Perhaps things are different in the UK, but I've never been in a position to supply a modeling pedal or head unless requested in the gig advance, and that's usually because the performers are traveling by commercial aircraft and need to hold down the size/weight of their baggage.  Since this means the act will also need a drum kit, keyboards and other back line gear we get quotes from back line providers and tell the promoter or venue to take their pick of vendors and we're out of the provisioning game.

As a player I think I'd be taken aback by a local sound guy that said "here, you must use this."  I suspect I'd say "up yours" and proceed to be a very difficult musician to work with.  It's NOT your job to judge my art - whatever that may consist of - and any prejudicial attempt to control my work would be met with resistance.

If there is some kind of venue restriction it should be brought up in the booking/hiring process so the act has the option of declining the engagement or negotiating a variance.

Edit PS... if you find that you MUST use some external device, patch it console if possible.  Back in the days of analog mixers with channel strip insert points it was an easy thing to do (I've replaced kick drums with an Alesis D2 sample, for instance).  That said, I think the performer should have the initial and final say as to how he or she is presented.  If the player is unconcerned, do what you think is necessary or proper...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 01:07:29 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »

Perhaps things are different in the UK, but I've never been in a position to supply a modeling pedal or head unless requested in the gig advance
Don't worry, they're not!

Fraser Moffatt

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 12:06:01 PM »

You can't really go wrong with a SansAmp. I've used the BDDI and now the RBI; the preamp and tone shaping capabilities add some oomph that you don't really get using the channel strip. And the fact that you can dial in a bit of drive doesn't hurt for some genres. I've got my RBI permanent racked in my road case and plug my bass straight into that (and then into the board). Set it and forget it really.  I haven't used a bass amp on a gig for over a year now.

I've played with modelling amps (i.e., multiple Line6 products) and honestly, there are so many features on them that aren't necessary 95% of the time (bass synth anyone?). I've never been quite satisfied with the DI tone either.

Now with 27% more mojo.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 04:04:05 AM »

Thanks for the replies. The ocassions I find myself tempted to use a bass amp modeller tend to be with church musicians. Most of them don't use bass amps and quite a few of them are pretty inexperienced and very happy for me to suggest things to try out to improve tone and overall end result.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 04:04:05 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.