ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resale value of LED screens  (Read 4140 times)

Jay Brett

Resale value of LED screens
« on: September 20, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the best place to post. We are about to purchase a new LED wall for our venue. This will be the 3rd one in 11 years. We've been getting about 4 years out of them until they start to have issues. We than limp through that last year making repairs. So far, we have done two install screens. This is an outdoor (covered) environment.

I'm considering going with a touring style screen, complete with cases. Mainly, because I feel they're built a bit stronger but more so because we could possibly sell every three years on the used market. Which leads to my question. How is the used market for touring LED walls? Does brand matter? Absen, Panasonic vs something like Chauvet or Elation?

After moderate use, what percentage of the new price would be reasonable to ask for a used screen? Keep in mind it won't be put up and taken down constantly like a typical touring screen.

Thank you!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Resale value of LED screens
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 11:21:41 PM »

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the best place to post. We are about to purchase a new LED wall for our venue. This will be the 3rd one in 11 years. We've been getting about 4 years out of them until they start to have issues. We than limp through that last year making repairs. So far, we have done two install screens. This is an outdoor (covered) environment.

I'm considering going with a touring style screen, complete with cases. Mainly, because I feel they're built a bit stronger but more so because we could possibly sell every three years on the used market. Which leads to my question. How is the used market for touring LED walls? Does brand matter? Absen, Panasonic vs something like Chauvet or Elation?

After moderate use, what percentage of the new price would be reasonable to ask for a used screen? Keep in mind it won't be put up and taken down constantly like a typical touring screen.

Thank you!

Another production company in town thought he was getting a deal and is warehousing about three semi's worth of Barco panels.  They suck so bad anyone who can afford a panel won't touch them so he rents them for nothing to punters.

I was over there one day and asked him how much he was going to pay someone to haul it away so he could have his warehouse back. 

Just my two cents.  The technology is evolving so fast.  Have you seen the pixelflex stuff?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 09:24:38 AM »

Only getting four years out of a permanently installed screen seems quite low, even for outdoor applications.  What issues are you having? Think it could be power related?  I have heard of 16 year old displays chugging right along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Jay Brett

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:39:20 AM »

Only getting four years out of a permanently installed screen seems quite low, even for outdoor applications.  What issues are you having? Think it could be power related?  I have heard of 16 year old displays chugging right along.

Harsh midwestern environment and heavy use possibly? It's been like clockwork. The first screen was a Daktronics screen, the 2nd was a Chinese screen and I expected to not get much life out of it. This screen is used for tv and live video playback. Stays on about 16 hours a day.

What manufacturers have you had that longevity out of?

Tom Burgess

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:45:46 AM »

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Where are you located, Jay?  Perhaps you could get in touch with someone that could further analyze the cause of the failures and / or design and recommend a good solution.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Jay Brett

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »

Located in Kansas City. Outdoor covered space open to the public 7 days a week. Screen is outdoor rated, but just hasn't held up. The Daktronics screen we originally had experienced the same issues, and in both instances once panels started going bad, we couldn't get replacements.

Kevin Esprella

• No Regret Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »

Have you gotten any quotes and what size are you looking for?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.