Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Resale value of LED screens

(1/2) > >>

Jay Brett:
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the best place to post. We are about to purchase a new LED wall for our venue. This will be the 3rd one in 11 years. We've been getting about 4 years out of them until they start to have issues. We than limp through that last year making repairs. So far, we have done two install screens. This is an outdoor (covered) environment.

I'm considering going with a touring style screen, complete with cases. Mainly, because I feel they're built a bit stronger but more so because we could possibly sell every three years on the used market. Which leads to my question. How is the used market for touring LED walls? Does brand matter? Absen, Panasonic vs something like Chauvet or Elation?

After moderate use, what percentage of the new price would be reasonable to ask for a used screen? Keep in mind it won't be put up and taken down constantly like a typical touring screen.

Thank you!

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Jay Brett on September 20, 2017, 05:07:49 PM ---Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the best place to post. We are about to purchase a new LED wall for our venue. This will be the 3rd one in 11 years. We've been getting about 4 years out of them until they start to have issues. We than limp through that last year making repairs. So far, we have done two install screens. This is an outdoor (covered) environment.

I'm considering going with a touring style screen, complete with cases. Mainly, because I feel they're built a bit stronger but more so because we could possibly sell every three years on the used market. Which leads to my question. How is the used market for touring LED walls? Does brand matter? Absen, Panasonic vs something like Chauvet or Elation?

After moderate use, what percentage of the new price would be reasonable to ask for a used screen? Keep in mind it won't be put up and taken down constantly like a typical touring screen.

Thank you!

--- End quote ---

Another production company in town thought he was getting a deal and is warehousing about three semi's worth of Barco panels.  They suck so bad anyone who can afford a panel won't touch them so he rents them for nothing to punters.

I was over there one day and asked him how much he was going to pay someone to haul it away so he could have his warehouse back. 

Just my two cents.  The technology is evolving so fast.  Have you seen the pixelflex stuff?

David Sturzenbecher:
Only getting four years out of a permanently installed screen seems quite low, even for outdoor applications.  What issues are you having? Think it could be power related?  I have heard of 16 year old displays chugging right along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jay Brett:

--- Quote from: David Sturzenbecher on September 21, 2017, 09:24:38 AM ---Only getting four years out of a permanently installed screen seems quite low, even for outdoor applications.  What issues are you having? Think it could be power related?  I have heard of 16 year old displays chugging right along.

--- End quote ---

Harsh midwestern environment and heavy use possibly? It's been like clockwork. The first screen was a Daktronics screen, the 2nd was a Chinese screen and I expected to not get much life out of it. This screen is used for tv and live video playback. Stays on about 16 hours a day.

What manufacturers have you had that longevity out of?

Tom Burgess:

--- Quote from: David Sturzenbecher on September 21, 2017, 09:24:38 AM ---Only getting four years out of a permanently installed screen seems quite low, even for outdoor applications.  What issues are you having? Think it could be power related?  I have heard of 16 year old displays chugging right along.

--- End quote ---
This is exactly what I was thinking.  Where are you located, Jay?  Perhaps you could get in touch with someone that could further analyze the cause of the failures and / or design and recommend a good solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version