ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to get lighting tripod stand crossbar?  (Read 4588 times)

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
Where to get lighting tripod stand crossbar?
« on: September 20, 2017, 10:58:16 AM »

I'm looking to replace the top crossbar on some of my tripod stands.  Where's a good place to get 48" long 1.5" OD aluminum tubing? I've searched around a bit, but am coming up pretty much empty... or when I do find something it costs about the same as getting the whole stand.  I'm looking for something like THIS, but with an OD of 1.5", not 1 3/8".

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Where to get lighting tripod stand crossbar?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »

I'm looking to replace the top crossbar on some of my tripod stands.  Where's a good place to get 48" long 1.5" OD aluminum tubing? I've searched around a bit, but am coming up pretty much empty... or when I do find something it costs about the same as getting the whole stand.  I'm looking for something like THIS, but with an OD of 1.5", not 1 3/8".

Metals Depot

https://www.metalsdepot.com/products/alum2.phtml?page=rndtube&LimAcc=%20&aident=

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 11:36:41 AM »

Sometimes you can find "DJ "I" truss" in 5' or 6' lengths that uses plastic tees to connect the small metal webs to the top and bottom cord.  I have seen these in the $60.00 to $70.00 range street price.  Just take it apart and use the truss cords.  They are usually black painted, have pre drilled holes, and include some hardware.  Also, I think some chain link fence tubing is 1.5" O.D. and is cheap. 

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:54:43 AM »

I just bought some Ultimate crossbars $45 new on ebay
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »

For $8 you can get a 10' section of EMT at Home depot.  The cheap steel tube is MUCH stronger than the thin aluminum stuff sold for lighting.
It fits in most speaker tripods also, giving you a 10' plus height lighting stand.
I also use it for speaker poles after pressing in adapters to fit the subs and tops.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Sean Schult

• FlashFire Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 01:51:01 PM »

Which tripod stands do you have?

I like the Global Truss GT-LB132. It's made for the ST-132 crank stand, but since it uses a standard 1 3/8" insertion diameter, you can put it on any normal stand. I sometimes put them on regular speaker stands with extremely light loads (4x LED pars). Used on the ST-132, I've had 2x movers hanging down and 4x pars on top, and it was very stable. They're solid and it's nice to be able to keep the O-clamps on all of my lights which fit both the t-bars and the truss. Less than $50 ea.
http://www.globaltruss.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=471&MainId=4&Category=42

That is a 2" bar though, and you specifically asked for 1.5". What is the reason for the 1.5" OD spec? 12" truss is 2" and sch40 pipe is 1.9". What uses 1.5"?
FlashFire Productions

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »

Hi Rich,

Yes, you can go the route of a dedicated part such as the Ultimate Support products, however I find those VERY expensive for what they are (I mean $45 for a paper-thin bar with a few holes?).  While it'll work, I've had luck shopping the spare/replacement parts sites of the stands I use.  Odyssey sells their crossbars for about a third the price of Ultimate's option, though I don't recall the exact dimensions off the top of my head.  They're what I use for lighter duty trees.

If holes and aesthetics aren't a concern EMT is the way to go.  Much stronger and robust than the flimsy masts and crossbars that come with most Guitar Center truss/tripod kits - I've actually snapped one of these before...not from overloading but likely from cyclic fatigue.  The EMT will also not dent from C-clamps either (tightened within reason) and the price can't be beaten.  You can always go with the Schedule 40 black pipe too, but that's probably a lot heavier than what you need.  It's great for moving head trees though!  If you must have parts with strength data available I believe The Light Source can sell you pipe, but I'm not sure if they carry 1.5" OD.   

That is a 2" bar though, and you specifically asked for 1.5". What is the reason for the 1.5" OD spec? 12" truss is 2" and sch40 pipe is 1.9". What uses 1.5"?

My guess is for compatibility with his O-clamps and/or existing trussing that uses the 1.5" plastic junction pieces.  I'll let Rich speak for himself though!  Hope this helps!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 01:18:35 AM »

Hi Rich,

Yes, you can go the route of a dedicated part such as the Ultimate Support products, however I find those VERY expensive for what they are (I mean $45 for a paper-thin bar with a few holes?).

The Ultimate Support crossbars are actually pretty hefty thick walled tubing. I usually have some extras left over from light stand packages that get parted out if someone needs just the stand.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 07:09:20 AM »

The Ultimate Support crossbars are actually pretty hefty thick walled tubing. I usually have some extras left over from light stand packages that get parted out if someone needs just the stand.

That's good to know.  And I also know it includes a few other bits of hardware, but I still find it very hard to justify such a price when there are so many other solutions out there that cost a fraction of that.  I think Schedule 40 black pipe would even cost less!  But, at the end of the day it's about getting the right solution for the given application and if this product works for some people than it's all good!

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »

My guess is for compatibility with his O-clamps and/or existing trussing that uses the 1.5" plastic junction pieces.  I'll let Rich speak for himself though!  Hope this helps!

That's exactly it- for compatibility.

Great suggestions here!  I like the idea of going with EMT.  It's cheap and readily available.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.944 seconds with 22 queries.