ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dream Gig  (Read 14655 times)

Spenser Hamilton

Re: Dream Gig
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 08:08:18 PM »

I have mixed a dream gig working with Broadway personality Colm Wilkinson.

I was backstage for one of these gigs, even stuck in the back it was still one of those arm hair raising experiences.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 11:23:38 PM »

That's a great story....Was Chuck still with them at that time?
Yes, Chuck, Cory, and Danny where there along with band members Michael Allsup, Floyd Sneed, and Jimmy Greenspoon.  They really sounded great.  I worked with the group several times after that over the years, but it wasn't the same, and I don't think they ever had that many original members after that reunion tour.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 11:30:55 PM »

Yes, Chuck, Cory, and Danny where there along with band members Michael Allsup, Floyd Sneed, and Jimmy Greenspoon.  They really sounded great.  I worked with the group several times after that over the years, but it wasn't the same, and I don't think they ever had that many original members after that reunion tour.

Jimmy (RIP) was a helluva organist.  Chuck's stories and path to recovery are very interesting too. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 11:38:05 PM »

Jimmy (RIP) was a helluva organist.  Chuck's stories and path to recovery are very interesting too.

Agree with all of that, Scott.

In the last 15 - 20 years the only thing Danny and Cory could agree on is how much they hated Negron, who crashed and burned before they did, so he became their scapegoat.

I noticed that Hutton and Wells do not directly interact with each other on stage and found out later they do not want to be on the same floor or wing of a hotel.  They don't fly on the same airplane, should it go down.  "I'll be damned if I'm gonna die with that SOB..."  When they introduce the band, they do not introduce each other, a band member does it.

They also made some bad business & investment decisions decades ago that robbed them of a great deal of their earnings.  Today they perform because they have to, not because they want to.  It's really sad.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 11:44:29 PM »

What exactly do you mean by "one night with Earl Scruggs"? :o

Since I was the one that posted that....

I know I've made the same joke in other circumstances.  But please....

As I mentioned, there are some family reasons that drive my comments regarding Earl.   Flatt&Scruggs was the favorite artist of my father, who died in 1967 when I was 2. So yeah...  I'd give a lot to live out my dad's dream.....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

David Allred

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 07:20:45 AM »

Since I was the one that posted that....

I know I've made the same joke in other circumstances.  But please....

Goose, meet Gander.  You should have led with that. :'(

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 07:42:50 AM »

When I was in high school (you'll know when if you read this) perhaps my favorite band was "Three Dog Nite".  This was their earlier stuff and not all the "pop" stuff they did later, but they were a top selling band in that era.  Flash forward (or backward) to the mid eighties and they had reformed for a tour with all of the original singers and all but one original band member.  I got called for a two day gig with them at the Holidome in Cheyenne.  I had the system set up when they arrived.  They loaded in, and my crew was micing up the drums as I waited at FOH for their engineer.  I had already rung out the system and had the vocal mics open.  One vocalist checked the mic and announced "by the way, we don't have an engineer, would you mind mixing us"?

There are other artists that I would give almost anything to mix now, but at that time . . . !
One of my "nightmare gigs" was with 3 dog night in the late 90s.

If you were in the audience, it would have looked like we had no idea what we were doing, constantly repatching and rewiring the stage to try to get it to work.

But if you knew (as Paul Harvey says) "the rests of the story", it is a completely different picture.

To make a long story short, the FOH and monitor guys gave me (I was monitors on this show) and my FOH guy DIFFERENT input patch lists.

So when one was correct, the other was wrong, so when something was wrong, it was repatched, which of course made it wrong for the other console.

After the mic cables were tied in knots, we realized the problem, but had to clean it up in order to repatch.

I did not get that festival gig next year-all due to the wrong lists being given to us.  Of course every other band during the festival was fine, but we looked like idiots to the promoter and she DID NOT want hear any excuses.

Of course that is just one of many "national acts" whose road crews have made me look bad and cost we work.

But those are other stories
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 07:45:14 AM »

My dream gig would during Deep Purples Made in Japan shows.

The musical interaction between the band members, and the music is a fav of mine.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

scottstephens

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »

Hey all,

I've been blessed to the hilt mixing lots of A-Listers back in the day. But I've always wanted to mix the Eagles or Alison Krauss and band. I love great vocals and musicianship. This is especially true because I can't play or sing ANYTHING.  Someday, my mom is going to ask me to repay her for the 3 years of guitar lessons. I just suck.

Happy mixing all

scott

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »

Agree with all of that, Scott.

Today they perform because they have to, not because they want to.  It's really sad.

It's a shame when that happens, and it has happened to a lot of artists in this business.  The last show I did with Three Dog Nite (in the late 80's) was more like "1 1/2 Dog Nite".  It was sad to see how the mighty had fallen.  They really deserve better.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.